NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Cool. You're not alone. People have doubted Goff and will continue to doubt him. A lot of people were forced to eat crow, and that isn't something people like to do. I've never been afraid to be bold on Goff, and he keeps rewarding me for it.

It’s not doubt. It’s just me trying to be objective.

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

It’s not doubt. It’s just me trying to be objective.

You're not objective. I'm not objective. Nobody here is objective. I'm going to call them how I see them. I'll be wrong sometimes; I'll be right sometimes. Thus far, Goff has tended to prove me right.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

AGG% is quickly becoming my least favorite stat. All it winds up being used as is a way to criticize QBs that do a great job of presnap and postsnap reads. If a defender is within 1 yard of the WR, you generally shouldn't be throwing to that WR.

Not only that but I also question it's reliability. Earlier in the year the numbers indicated Mitch had thrown 7 passes into tight coverages during one game and I went back and looked at every pass in that game twice using their same criteria and I counted 9 total both times with another one that I deemed undetermined because of how close it was. 

edit: Granted that is only one example but still.

Edited by JustAnotherFan

If anything Goff is too agressive holding onto the ball far too long! Waiting for a route to develop rather than take a quick dump off. 

Thats both a scheme issue and Goffs main issue. He’ll rarely take the check down, he wants the Home run ball far too much for my liking. 

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I know it's not, but when's the last time you heard some random person say "X team is the #1 defense!" and assume they're talking about DVOA? For me - never. I always assume people are either talking PPG or YPG unless they specify otherwise. And trust me, I've been trying my best to hype the DVOA train as much as I can this season.

I would guess that the number 1 defense in terms of ypg/ppg is usually also the #1 in DVOA or at least very close. The Fact that Chicago has such a lead combined with the fact that they are ~ top 20 all time in DVOA for a defense means that even though they may not be leading in ypg/ppg, they are still by far and away the top defense this year and most people seem to agree with that.

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Not only that but I also question it's reliability. Earlier in the year the numbers indicated Mitch had thrown 7 passes into tight coverages during one game and I went back and looked at every pass in that game twice using their same criteria and I counted 9 total both times with another one that I deemed undetermined because of how close it was. 

edit: Granted that is only one example but still.

1 yard is a pretty difficult standard to judge, given the camera angles we have. I imagine many throws on the fence were mis-ruled or mis-judged.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

1 yard is a pretty difficult standard to judge, given the camera angles we have. I imagine many throws on the fence were mis-ruled or mis-judged.

Oh I get that, which is why I said I left one undetermined, but the ones I counted were very clear.

Again, not saying the data is wrong because they use chips that process real time data and so it is a trust worthy process. And my example was only 1 small sample size. But it does have me questioning it.

Edited by JustAnotherFan