NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

9 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

So I'd back off of that, or start a "who is better" thread in comparison and have people laugh at you, your call.

What a stupid threat. 

Of course Baker is going to be viewed as better than Tannehill now. And I expect him to be a good one for a long time. And I even praised Dorsey just a couple days ago for how he’s turning around the Browns.

But maybe pump the breaks on claiming the 19th rated passer (one spot and one point above Tannehill - and Tannehill had a higher TD% this year btw, since you brought it up) is proof all you need is a QB, like was claimed by the other poster. What if Baker never progresses? I think he will, but what if he doesn’t? Is the 19th highest rated QB going to be enough to prove he’s all you need? Is finishing one spot above guys like Tannehill in efficiency stats and winning 7 games really proof that all you need is a QB to rebuild a team? There’s a lot of stuff to Baker’s game to be excited about. There’s a lot about the Browns to be excited about. But maybe wait until he and the team puts it together before some of these off the wall posts that have come out over the last few days. 

This offseason chest thumping for a 7 win team is off the charts - and this coming from a Jags fan who watched others parade our own team as offseason champs for 4 straight years. 

8 minutes ago, pwny said:

What a stupid threat. 

Of course Baker is going to be viewed as better than Tannehill now. And I expect him to be a good one for a long time. And I even praised Dorsey just a couple days ago for how he’s turning around the Browns.

But maybe pump the breaks on claiming the 19th rated passer (one spot and one point above Tannehill - and Tannehill had a higher TD% this year btw, since you brought it up) is proof all you need is a QB, like was claimed by the other poster. What if Baker never progresses? I think he will, but what if he doesn’t? Is the 19th highest rated QB going to be enough to prove he’s all you need? Is finishing one spot above guys like Tannehill in efficiency stats and winning 7 games really proof that all you need is a QB to rebuild a team? There’s a lot of stuff to Baker’s game to be excited about. There’s a lot about the Browns to be excited about. But maybe wait until he and the team puts it together before some of these off the wall posts that have come out over the last few days. 

This offseason chest thumping for a 7 win team is off the charts - and this coming from a Jags fan who watched others parade our own team as offseason champs for 4 straight years. 

I mean just ignoring all the offseason additions, they play the terrible AFC East and NFC West next year. Arguably the worst divisions in the NFL This was after facing the AFC West and NFC South, two of the toughest divisions in the NFL. The AFC North has gotten worse too.

So even if the Browns stayed completely the same and returned everybody from last years team, they were going to be projected to win more games by default. That’s not exactly a bold prediction unless you think the AFC North actually improved.

Edited by candyman93

21 minutes ago, pwny said:

What a stupid threat. 

If Baker never gets better then he is a 93.7 rating QB and Tannehill is 87.

I love passer rating but it isn't everything. Fitzmagic isn't better than Brady and Aaron Rogers yet he had a better rating this year.

As far as how much a QB matters, the Browns won 1 of 34 games prior to Mayfield getting in a game and won 7 of 14 after. Coincidence? I don't think so. Maybe Tannehill could have done the same, we'll never know, but most breathing people wouldn't think so, so It's at least unlikely.

Just because people make outlandish claims doesn't mean you should fight fire with fire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDez said:

How many times has a team successfully traded back in the first rd to draft their QB?

I can think of one.1990 NFL Draft. The Colts didn't have a first round selection. They got a trade done with the Atlanta Falcons for the first overall pick, and selected Jeff George. 

Edited by PapaShogun

44 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I can think of one.1990 NFL Draft. The Colts didn't have a first round selection. They got a trade done with the Atlanta Falcons for the first overall pick, and selected Jeff George. 

I think he meant trading down. You probably thought he meant 'back' as in, 'back into the first'. He is asking what are the chances the Cardinals can trade down and still get Murray. 

The only team I could see trading to #1 would be the raiders, if they really want bosa. It could also make sense for the cards to keep bosa out of red and gold. They traded last year when the cards gave a third to go get rosen so they must have some sort of relationship. 

#4 isn't a huge move down. I don't think gruden is willing to trade any of those three firsts. A second probably makes the deal I would think. 

Niners/Jets would then go Allen/Williams I would imagine. Murray would fall to 4 unless someone else jumps up to get him but idk who that would be. 

Very possible.  

@DirtyDez

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

If Baker never gets better then he is a 93.7 rating QB and Tannehill is 87.

You do realize this season’s passing stats were hyper inflated? This season, he was barely more efficient than Tannehill. 

He was the 19th rated passer this year. In 2017, the 19th rated passer was Derek Carr with 86.4. In 2016, the 19th rated passer had an 87.9, it’s hovered in the mid-80’s for a long time before that. So maybe using a raw number in the most over-inflated passing season in NFL history isn’t the best practice. 

I love passer rating but it isn't everything. Fitzmagic isn't better than Brady and Aaron Rogers yet he had a better rating this year.

Good thing I said efficiency not better, right?

As far as how much a QB matters, the Browns won 1 of 34 games prior to Mayfield getting in a game and won 7 of 14 after. Coincidence? I don't think so. Maybe Tannehill could have done the same, we'll never know, but most breathing people wouldn't think so, so It's at least unlikely.

No one said QB doesn’t matter a lot. But unless winning 7 games every year is all you ever want to accomplish, Baker hasn’t proven he’s all you need. 

7 hours ago, N4L said:

I think he meant trading down. You probably thought he meant 'back' as in, 'back into the first'. He is asking what are the chances the Cardinals can trade down and still get Murray. 

The only team I could see trading to #1 would be the raiders, if they really want bosa. It could also make sense for the cards to keep bosa out of red and gold. They traded last year when the cards gave a third to go get rosen so they must have some sort of relationship. 

#4 isn't a huge move down. I don't think gruden is willing to trade any of those three firsts. A second probably makes the deal I would think. 

Niners/Jets would then go Allen/Williams I would imagine. Murray would fall to 4 unless someone else jumps up to get him but idk who that would be. 

Very possible.  

@DirtyDez

The only times I’ve found were Rivers and Flacco..

Problem is if the Cards are at 4 and Murray is available their leverage for Rosen tanks and a team would lowball them.  It’s too funky to work out.  

1 hour ago, pwny said:

No one said QB doesn’t matter a lot. But unless winning 7 games every year is all you ever want to accomplish, Baker hasn’t proven he’s all you need. 

I already said QB isn't all you need but you are failing more than 90% of the time without one. Browns averaged winning 1 game per 34 before Mayfield and 1 game per 2 with. He and the Browns aren't a good example of QBs being overrated pertaining to wins.

21 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I already said QB isn't all you need but you are failing more than 90% of the time without one. Browns averaged winning 1 game per 34 before Mayfield and 1 game per 2 with. He and the Browns aren't a good example of QBs being overrated pertaining to wins.

It honestly seems like you’re arguing not because you disagree with what I said, but because it’s about the Browns. I never said, nor implied, that QBs are overrated pertaining to wins, nor was it said that the Browns show some side of that argument. I simply was arguing against the absurd notion the other person posted. Since you disagree with that, I’m not sure what we’re doing here at this point.