NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

5 hours ago, N4L said:

I just realized that anyone who has direct TV can probably pick up the free, digital broadcast of CBS/NBC with your TV. Most TVs built after 2006 have built in antennas, but if you dont you can get a cheap antenna online and you should be able to get HD digital broadcasts of those stations for free. There are probably thousands of football fans that will be ****ing pissed come week 1 when they dont realize they cant get their favorite team's game. 

Why CBS feels entitled to charge a lot to directv for channels that they literally broadcast for free, is beyond me. 

It's not just DirecTV, the big 4 have been playing hardball with all the cable companies for the last decade+.  Providers have no choice but to charge their customers for channels they can get for free.  

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

There are a lot of examples of these guys either doing stupid things on their own or getting taken advantage of by financial advisors, lawyers, con men, etc. Kind of sad, actually.

Like Brees being convinced that those diamonds were going to substantially increase in value over time?

It was quite stupid, but on the other hand I hate to crap on a guy for trusting that a professional in the industry wasn't trying to scam him. 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Not a record, sadly enough. Mark Brunell was $39mm in debt due to some bad investments in real estate around the time that bubble crashed - it's why he kept playing well after he was ineffective, he needed the money. Charlie Batch was $22mm or so in debt, due to a lot of his charity work and bad investments as well. I'm sure there are other examples, too (Clinton Portis comes to mind...)

There are a lot of examples of these guys either doing stupid things on their own or getting taken advantage of by financial advisors, lawyers, con men, etc. Kind of sad, actually.

A fool and his money are soon parted.  NFL puts on the rookie symposium every year trying to help these guys get an understanding of doing the right things with the money, but these guys make the same mistakes over and over.  Nobody is immune.  Drew effin Brees is suing a dude over what were supposed to be investment quality diamonds.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dome said:

Imagine going into debt doing charity work

Heart of gold, brain of lead. 

I overestimated the dollar amount - it's $2mm, not $22mm. But that's still a good chunk of change for a middling backup QB. Some of it was charity, but it looks like much of it were some really bad investment ideas.

58 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

A fool and his money are soon parted.  NFL puts on the rookie symposium every year trying to help these guys get an understanding of doing the right things with the money, but these guys make the same mistakes over and over.  Nobody is immune.  Drew effin Brees is suing a dude over what were supposed to be investment quality diamonds.

I'm not going to fault anyone, because I'd say that a lot of it was/is good ol' fashion scammers.

I mean - how many football players lost money because of Bernie Madoff? Prior to being caught, Madoff was the sort of guy the symposium would recommend as a sound investment opportunity, he was about as above reproach as a very well respected mind in the securities/investment field. (He was the guy the feds WENT to if they suspected someone else was running a Ponzi scheme - they got Bernie to look at these kites well before anyone knew he was flying the biggest kite out of them all). 

You can do your research and really take a conservative fiscal approach, but even the brightest minds in the world fall prey to the predators out in the financial district. 

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I overestimated the dollar amount - it's $2mm, not $22mm. But that's still a good chunk of change for a middling backup QB. Some of it was charity, but it looks like much of it were some really bad investment ideas.

I like the idea of Charlie going broke because he spent 3 years living and volunteering in a soup kitchen, going outside just for a quick smoke break from time to time. Completely neglecting all  forms of financial or personal responsibilities in that time, all for the betterment of the community.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

It's not just DirecTV, the big 4 have been playing hardball with all the cable companies for the last decade+.  Providers have no choice but to charge their customers for channels they can get for free.  

I suspect legacy broadcasters are trying to destroy alternative competition.

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Well he certainly gets credit for that since that's the most important part of his job.

Just like all the losses don't go away just because he hired Wilks. 

Sure, he gets credit for it. It's unavoidable, unfortunately. I'm a niners fan, I just went through this with Baalke. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

I suspect legacy broadcasters are trying to destroy alternative competition.

It's not competition, the over the air broadcasters are competitive with each other, not the providers.  Its wanting to get a piece of a pie that they dont contribute too.  Local over the air broadcasting is not what drives cable/sat business, it's always basically just been a throw in. The customer was only really paying for the channels they couldnt get with an antenna.  But the big 4 have seen the type of deals that legit cable networks have been getting (and dont get me started on the ridiculous bundling of channels) and decided they in turn needed those type of deals, nvm that they dont contribute in anyway near the same way and you get a situation where a cable/sat subscriber thinks the provider is just raising their prices to make more money, when in reality it's just to offset costs that the provider has occurred.  My company has gone so far as to itemize it as a local broadcast fee on the bill so that it can easily be explained to a customer.  It is literally just dividing up the money the company is paying to Sinclair, and dividing it amongst the subscriber base.  With ever increasing amount of cord cutters, that fee has been steadily increasing correspondently.

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

Stat / Quiz  of the day:

There are 15 QBs ahead of Joe Montana on the all-time TD/INT ratio list (min 1500 passes)

Four of them are from the same draft class.

Wilson, Luck, Cousins, Foles

Surprisingly, not Brock Osweiler or Brandon Weeden.