NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Chubb's rookie season is a bit misleading - because about 6-7 of his sacks were after the 3+ sec mark.  He basically got coverage / high effort no-quit sacks.  While I have issues with PFF's rating system because it doesn't account for competition faced (it assumes everyone is equal), I can see why they didn't rate him that highly compared to the other standout rookies.  He was supposed to be a stalwart against the run in setting the edge (and I think he'll be that guy), but he wasn't special there, just OK.  I expect that to improve, given his college tape & skill profile.    Now we also faced a cream puff OL schedule last year (which actually should have driven his rating down even further).  Don't get me wrong, he was solid - but there's no way he should have been in the same tier in RoY voting as Leonard, James, or even LVE/Ward.  Nothing at all against him, but he was clearly a Robin to Von's Batman.  At the same time, I don't think anyone can say he was disappointing at all, either, even with the top 5 draft capital spent.  It just wasn't a difference-maker (not that he was supposed to be that type of guy), like a franchise QB on a rookie-level deal can bring.

This offseason, though, it's already apparent Chubb has some extra spice to his game - he's beat a couple of LT's (backups, yes) with double-moves with 2.5 sec timed arrivals at the QB for sacks.   The extra move is what he's learned from Miller.  THAT is reason to be intrigued.  If he can be a solo pass rush threat on his own, then the ceiling becomes special-player level.   As it is, worst-case I see him more as a high-floor, very-good but not great talent ceiling.  The high-floor means barring injury, he won't bust out like Solomon Thomas (to be fair, miscast as a DE in that scheme).   It's just whether or not he'll be a franchise-fortune changer (which is unfair, but when you are in perennial search mode for a QB...that's the impact).

The best comp I can give to him is a post-surgery Clowney like talent with high-motor traits - he's going to excel so long as he has a Watt/Miller/Mack type talent, as the 1B guy.   If he can develop the 2nd move and hand-fighting ability to overcome his not-quite-elite burst, then he could be more than a post-surgery Clowney-ceiling.  There's nothing wrong with that at all - but TBH, I still kinda wish we went after QB (Gettleman refusing to even take a phone call from Elway to trade back so we could snag Darnold still haunts us).   I say that fully endorsing Rosen as one of those picks (wanted Darnold first & foremost, but was OK with Rosen after that), which the jury's still out on, and who knows what happens behind an OL that's not historically worst-in-league-and-most-other-years.  But at least Chubb is making the 1.5 pick look good in a vacuum (1.6 Nelson looks like the steal of the top 10, though - such a special talent).  

Thanks for this.

Ah ok, so he sounds like he will develop as he should then and hasn't reached his ceiling or anything yet. Probably a noticeably better year this season would be my prediction. You're hinting, toward the bottom, that a pick that high might have been better served on more of a difference maker (QB, in this case) rather than a 1B guy? If so, I agree with that. With Von on one end, you maybe could have used a later round on a DE with upside as well? 

With Von, is he still...Von? Because of Denver's slight regression in recent seasons, I haven't seen many live Denver games. I know he's still an elite, blue-chip talent but is he the same guy who ruined our season in 2015, and the superbowl MVP etc? I like Von.

19 minutes ago, Danger said:

I don't think I would have ever figured that. I assumed he spent more on his grille than I've spent on my house. I figured that's why he was playing everywhere, simply because he needed the paycheck.

Good for Ocho, good for him.

3 hours ago, M.10.E said:

I fail to see how Marquise Brown is "disappointing". This is literally what everyone expected.

And not to mention he's going to play tonight, and he's a much more talented WR than John Ross is. Simply comparing their frame without also acknowledging that Ross was basically a one-trick pony at UW is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Steelersfan43 said:

24 sacks for Roethlisberger this year...Over or under if he play the entire season as this is the case for him since 2016?

I have said it before. His winning a Super Bowl behind that 2008 line was just amazing.

Him calling them out on the last drive and challenging them to not be what everyone says you are was 'Look, John Candy!' level awesome leadership.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, August4th said:

I do not miss the steelers O-line from that era

every week someone from the line going down with a injury, Ben getting sacked 4+ times and several penalties caused by them.

it was a mess

Starting O-line in Super Bowl 43

Max Starks LT
Chris Kemoeatu LG
Justin Hartwig C
Darnell Stapleton RG
Willie Colon

RT

Super Bowl 45

Jonathan Scott LT
Chris Kemoeatu LG
Doug Legursky C