NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

3 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Do we have a name for this fancy little shovel pass play that has taken the league by storm? WR in motion runs in front of the QB, who takes the snap and instanttly shuffles it off to the WR in motion, a glorified hand-off. It is inflating QB numbers like mad, I'll tell you that much, and I won't stand for it! It's so odd why it's so effective, or why it didn't already hit the league considering it's so simple in execution and in theory.

play at 8:28 if you don't know what I am referring to. Off the top my head the Cowboys and Chiefs have also used it to score. 

It's called a shovel pass and it's been used for a long time.  It's just now being incorporated into RPO design.  Why it's being so successful is because it's a read play.  Defense crashes the middle, QB hands it off to the RB on a stretch zone.  DE doesn't set the edge right, QB keeps and skirts the outside.  OL opens the hole, pitch it.  It looks simple bit there is a lot involved in the execution.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:35 PM, stl4life07 said:

If you take out that mess of a season Goff had to endure with Fisher, I wounder what he QB rating is?

You cant edit his stats like that. It would eliminate him from the discussion!

47 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Goffliveit baby. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny.fcgi?id=JVg6q

Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff is the third quarterback in league history with at least 350 passing yards and a completion percentage of 75 or higher in consecutive games (Trent green, KC, 2004 & Ryan Fitzpatrick, TB, 2018). 

So all 3 of them have started for the Rams at some point in their career? 

18 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Say you're a defensive coordinator, and you have a major weakness. Say that weakness is crossing routes.

a) Which players are usually responsible for covering crossing routes in zone ?

b) How would you go about fixing that weakness?

A) all of them

B) just user it. Works in Madden

Depends on what defense you're in, what the scheme looks like, ect. It's not as simple as saying one position is accountable or how to fix it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, I <3 Faulk said:

A) all of them

B) just user it. Works in Madden

Depends on what defense you're in, what the scheme looks like, ect. It's not as simple as saying one position is accountable or how to fix it. 

Always user the MLB

Nickel (3CB) against 3+WR sets. 2 ILBs within a 4-2.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, I <3 Faulk said:

In a cover 2 zone it would be on the 2 MLB if nobody is blitzing, and the throw is between the hashes and not too deep. I mean it really depends on a lot. It goes on the pass rush too, or lack there of. @jrry32 is probably more qualified to answer the question for you.

Thanks. The 2 MLB makes total sense, because ours have the turning speed of a Nimitz class aircraft carrier. We cannot stop crossing routes, and it's glaring.