NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

13 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Rosen is the starting QB of the Arizona Cardinals. 

Not saying this isn’t a good choice (it is), but what is the reason teams do this every year?  They start some average at best placeholder QB on a bad team instead of the rookie, then yank them after they predictably look bad in the first 2-4 games.  Why not just start the rookie?  What else did they expect?  I could at least see it from the Texans side last year—you didn’t know for sure what you had in Savage.  But we’ve seen Bradford.  He’s not the kinda guy who is gonna make a bad team good, not to mention the injuries.

In a 16 game season, you’ve already eliminated 18% worth of games for Rosen to learn and improve on the field.  And for no reason. 

Just doesn’t make much sense to me.  

Edited by iknowcool

2 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Not saying this isn’t a good choice (it is), but what is the reason teams do this every year?  They start some average at best placeholder QB on a bad team instead of the rookie, then yank them are they predictably look bad in the first 2-4 games.  Why not just start the rookie?  What else did they expect? 

In a 16 game season, you’ve already eliminated 18% worth of games for Rosen to learn and improve on the field.  And for no reason. 

If the rookie looks bad you can say “but the vet was bad too, we gotta get them some help” and hide them behind that. If your rookie goes out and stinks it up and ends up getting benched for a vet, that looks a lot worse 

15 minutes ago, Dome said:

If the rookie looks bad you can say “but the vet was bad too, we gotta get them some help” and hide them behind that. If your rookie goes out and stinks it up and ends up getting benched for a vet, that looks a lot worse 

Yea but that seems like stuff only fans would care about.  A head coach shouldn’t care about what might look bad.

And if your rookie QB sucks so bad you have to bench him, well you’ve got a bigger problem on your plate.  Even Clausen and Gabbert didn’t get benched, and they were both as bad as it got as a rookie QB that I can remember.  Rarely does a team bench a rookie QB (and I can’t remember a first rounder being benched), and I don’t think any fan is gonna advocate a rookie being benched unless they look THAT bad.

And LIS, if it gets to that point, you have a bigger problem.  

I don’t have a problem with starting the vet.  It’s just giving up on said vet after 2-3 games that bothers me.  What was the point?  

Edited by iknowcool

20 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Not saying this isn’t a good choice (it is), but what is the reason teams do this every year?  They start some average at best placeholder QB on a bad team instead of the rookie, then yank them after they predictably look bad in the first 2-4 games.  Why not just start the rookie?  What else did they expect?  I could at least see it from the Texans side last year—you didn’t know for sure what you had in Savage.  But we’ve seen Bradford.  He’s not the kinda guy who is gonna make a bad team good, not to mention the injuries.

In a perfect world Bradford remains competent for 16 games and Rosen can take the season to digest the playbook and adapt to the NFL before being thrusted into the fire. I’m sure Wilks was hoping Bradford would of lasted longer than 3 weeks. The more time you can buy for your rookie QB the better.

4 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

In a perfect world Bradford remains competent for 16 games and Rosen can take the season to digest the playbook and adapt to the NFL before being thrusted into the fire. I’m sure Wilks was hoping Bradford would of lasted longer than 3 weeks. The more time you can buy for your rookie QB the better.

Eh, the thing is I'm questioning if Wilks' thought process was that well laid out.  I mean, he threw Rosen into just about the worst situation for a rookie QB to start his career.  Already down a score with little time remaining against a Mack-led pass rush on a bad offense.  Not only did he start a QB that he was gonna pull in a small time frame anyway, he did it in a way that was the most detrimental to the rookie QB coming in.

I get what ya'll are saying though and I can see it both ways.  I guess it really depends on how much you think not playing helps a QB.  In this day and age of the NFL, I'm not sure sitting on the bench helps them that much.  I mean, it definitely isn't a negative - Mahomes probably appreciates the time to sit and learn from Reid and Smith and whoever else.  But how much does it help?  I'm not sure.  Cam Newton was a raw QB who had even less time in the offseason to learn because of the NFL Lockout and his rookie season was electric.  Matt Stafford started immediately on an awful team and turned out just fine.  Jared Goff struggled, but not only has he turned out more than fine, it's pretty obvious he would have done a lot better if McVay was his HC as a rookie.  Obviously those guys are #1 overall picks for a reason, so in a way I could see where I'm looking at it the wrong way, but even Flacco came in and did reasonably well.

Ultimately even if I did 100% agree it was better for rookies to ride the pine, it isn't like 2-3 games doing so (Savage was benched after one half for example) is going to make the difference between a good and bad rookie season.

Just now, iknowcool said:

Eh, the thing is I'm questioning if Wilks' thought process was that well laid out.  I mean, he threw Rosen into just about the worst situation for a rookie QB to start his career.  Already down a score with little time remaining against a Mack-led pass rush on a bad offense.  Not only did he start a QB that he was gonna pull in a small time frame anyway, he did it in a way that was the most detrimental to the rookie QB coming in.

I get what ya'll are saying though and I can see it both ways.  I guess it really depends on how much you think not playing helps a QB.  In this day and age of the NFL, I'm not sure sitting on the bench helps them that much.  I mean, it definitely isn't a negative - Mahomes probably appreciates the time to sit and learn from Reid and Smith and whoever else.  But how much does it help?  I'm not sure.  Cam Newton was a raw QB who had even less time in the offseason to learn because of the NFL Lockout and his rookie season was electric.  Matt Stafford started immediately on an awful team and turned out just fine.  Jared Goff struggled, but not only has he turned out more than fine, it's pretty obvious he would have done a lot better if McVay was his HC as a rookie.  Obviously those guys are #1 overall picks for a reason, so in a way I could see where I'm looking at it the wrong way, but even Flacco came in and did reasonably well.

Ultimately even if I did 100% agree it was better for rookies to ride the pine, it isn't like 2-3 games doing so (Savage was benched after one half for example) is going to make the difference between a good and bad rookie season.

The more the experience the better, and obviously if you gain that experience from the jump you'll get better faster. But if that experience comes at the cost of giving the team a better chance to win, I think that's when they sit. Rookie QBs are traditionally pretty rocky. They have their ups and downs and take their lumps. So theoretically starting a vet like Bradford makes sense. 

I'd be a lot more comfortable taming a lion if I could watch it from safety for a year and learn it's tendencies etc., rather than get in the pit on my first day.

20 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I knew Malcom butler was severely overrated but damn he’s rated as the worst CB in the league. 

Based off what rating system?

Weeks 1 and 2 he got beat deep a few times, which I believe probably is playing a big impact. But for the most part he's been with his man.