NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

53 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

First of all, NOTHING guarantees a super bowl win. It's too hard to do to just be guaranteed. If all you need is a great QB + weapons the Packers would've broken the bank getting WRs by now.

Second, I like our chances far better with a mediocre defense to pair with our already great offense, than trying to make the offense even greater. If we're going to go all in, let's grab a S, a LB or two, and a CB. Not more WRs.

Wait, who said because we get AB we can't improve the defense. If his value is as low as y'all act like then we can get him for Watkins, our late 2nd and future 2nd and then trade our 1st, 2nd, and a future 1st to the Jets for Ed Oliver, and our 3rd for Trae Waynes. Ship out Houston for a 5th and draft a corner with that pick. Pick up two safety's with our 4th rounders. Add 4-3 pass rushers with the remainder of the picks. Try and get just one OL depth guy by signing a bunch of UDFA linemen. Then we're absolutely set. Also, let Dee Ford walk and sign a cheaper pass rusher in free agency, allowing us to easily lock up Chris Jones for the long-term to pair next to Ed Oliver. Then our defense is mediocre at worst, top 10 at best.

Edited by MVPatrickMahomes15

32 minutes ago, MVPatrickMahomes15 said:

Wait, who said because we get AB we can't improve the defense. If his value is as low as y'all act like then we can get him for Watkins, our late 2nd and future 2nd and then trade our 1st, 2nd, and a future 1st to the Jets for Ed Oliver, and our 3rd for Trae Waynes. Ship out Houston for a 5th and draft a corner with that pick. Pick up two safety's with our 4th rounders. Add 4-3 pass rushers with the remainder of the picks. Try and get just one OL depth guy by signing a bunch of UDFA linemen. Then we're absolutely set. Also, let Dee Ford walk and sign a cheaper pass rusher in free agency, allowing us to easily lock up Chris Jones for the long-term to pair next to Ed Oliver. Then our defense is mediocre at worst, top 10 at best.

Why would the Steelers want to take on Watkins at that price? That's a weak deal for Brown. But with how little leverage they have, it's possible. Of course, your proposed trade with the Jets isn't remotely feasible. You're not going from #29 to #3 with only a late 2nd and a future 1st. The other big flaws in your plan are:

1. If you trade Houston and let Ford walk, you have no disruptive edge rusher to play 4-3 WDE. Spagnuolo's scheme thrives more on edge rushers than it does interior rushers.(see his NASCAR package)

2. Ed Oliver and Chris Jones play the same position in Spagnuolo's defense. That's a pretty big problem.

3. I don't know how you think picking up two safeties in the 4th round solves your problem.

LOL at the idea of your defense being a top 10 unit or "mediocre at worst" in this scenario. You've managed to make it weaker talentwise than it was in 2018.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Why would the Steelers want to take on Watkins at that price? That's a weak deal for Brown. But with how little leverage they have, it's possible. Of course, your proposed trade with the Jets isn't remotely feasible. You're not going from #29 to #3 with only a late 2nd and a future 1st. The other big flaws in your plan are:

1. If you trade Houston and let Ford walk, you have no disruptive edge rusher to play 4-3 WDE. Spagnuolo's scheme thrives more on edge rushers than it does interior rushers.(see his NASCAR package)

2. Ed Oliver and Chris Jones play the same position in Spagnuolo's defense. That's a pretty big problem.

3. I don't know how you think picking up two safeties in the 4th round solves your problem.

LOL at the idea of your defense being a top 10 unit or "mediocre at worst" in this scenario. You've managed to make it weaker talentwise than it was in 2018.

Disagree on that not being enough value to move up for Ed Oliver. This is a rare draft class with no elite QB. But KC could package one of their 4ths and even throw in a future 3rd if absolutely necessary. 

And I stated in my plan that you use the Franchise tag money you would've spent on Dee Ford to instead sign a 4-3 pass rusher. Surely with 20M/yr to spend you can get a difference maker at that position. 

And Chris Jones and Ed Oliver are both elite talents. They'll thrive in ANY system. That's not a concern at all, imo.

DE: Brandon Graham

UT: Chris Jones

NT: Ed Oliver

DE: Cameron Wake

OLB: Frank Zombo

MLB: Anthony Hitchens

OLB: Reggie Ragland

CB: Trae Waynes

CB: Kevin Fuller

FS: Daniel Sorensen

SS: Eric Berry

I don't know,  looks like a mediocre defense to me. I think Mahomes/AB/Hill/Kelce could carry it to the championship.

3 hours ago, MVPatrickMahomes15 said:

I don't know,  looks like a mediocre defense to me. I think Mahomes/AB/Hill/Kelce could carry it to the championship.

I like the front 4 kinda.

Zombo and Ragland at OLB? Horrible. Especially with Hitch in the middle.

Waynes okay, Sorenson at FS?? Turrible.

This looks bad on paper

Edited by Chiefer

8 hours ago, MVPatrickMahomes15 said:

It looks like a defense where you failed to upgrade our biggest weaknesses (S and LB) and downgraded at edge rusher for no discernible reason.

23 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

It looks like a defense where you failed to upgrade our biggest weaknesses (S and LB) and downgraded at edge rusher for no discernible reason.

Dee Ford sucks dude. He's a bonehead and he averages like 5 sacks a year. He just had a decent year this year because it was his contract year. He still cost us the championship too.

9 hours ago, MVPatrickMahomes15 said:

That didn’t last long...

9 hours ago, MVPatrickMahomes15 said:

Oliver would be the smallest nose tackle of the modern era. Goodbye, run defense.

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

That didn’t last long...

Oliver would be the smallest nose tackle of the modern era. Goodbye, run defense.

Well, to be fair, we don't currently have a run defense to say goodbye to in the first place.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MVPatrickMahomes15 said:

Dee Ford sucks dude. He's a bonehead and he averages like 5 sacks a year. He just had a decent year this year because it was his contract year. He still cost us the championship too.

Since he became a starter he has 25 sacks in 37 games. Comes out to about 11 per season. I'm skeptical about giving him big money, but I'd rather franchise and retain Ford (and then extend him or not based on how he does next year) than replace him with a 37 year old Cameron Wake.

But that's only one part of what I said anyway. Sorensen at FS, Ragland at OLB, and Zombo at OLB is a dangerous lack of speed and athleticism at those respective positions that would make our defense even worse than it was last year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MVPatrickMahomes15 said:

Absolutely no context here. 

he was depth player who played minimal snaps his first year. 

His second year he was a rotational player who played less than half your defensive snaps and still managed a respectable 4 sacks. In 2016 he battled injuries, missed more than half the season. 

His two full seasons he has played for the chiefs as a starter and majority of snaps, he's gotten 10 and 13 sacks

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Forge said:

His second year he was a rotational player who played less than half your defensive snaps and still managed a respectable 4 sacks. In 2016 he battled injuries, missed more than half the season. 

His two full seasons he has played for the chiefs as a starter and majority of snaps, he's gotten 10 and 13 sacks

LOL, imagine using his prior years when he wasn't nearly as good or played nearly as much opposed to the last two seasons where he has averaged 11.5 sacks. 

But hey if he does suck, then would love to see him test the market and for the Chiefs not to tag him. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Forge said:

Precisely.

Ford isn't a perfect player. He wasn't a complete player as an OLB, though I think he'll be better with less roles to fill as a DE. But he's been a very good pass rusher ever since he got the snaps. He was raw coming in which is part of why we were the team to bite, as we had the luxury to sit him behind Hali. That was the plan, not his fault. It's like faulting Mahomes for not starting as a rookie.

I don't know if it's just bitterness about the Championship game (and that offsides was far from the only mistake that lost us that game), or if we've just been too spoiled by the run of Allen, Hali, and Houston. But Ford is a very good edge rusher.

• Like 2