NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

40 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The Browns have hopefully ended the idea that you need 5 years to rebuild a team. That would be good for the league and expose crappy GMs. You just need a QB and a competent GM.

is your ex-gm (idk his name and don't care to look it up) worshiped like Hinkie? 

Being a Falcon fan I'm again disappointed in our GMs activity in free agency. A team that will live and die by the draft only. We have known for years our cap space is limited but we won't do much to give us breathing room. We won't make deals and definitely do not make trades by the deadline during the season. We had 2 huge holes at guard so they spend some decent coin on 2 average to below average guards. Guards that do not fit our zone blocking scheme at all. Honestly it's baffled me for years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

The Browns have hopefully ended the idea that you need 5 years to rebuild a team. That would be good for the league and expose crappy GMs. You just need a QB and a competent GM.

Where'd all those draft picks come from? 

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

In fairness, it took you 20 years to get the quarterback part of that right, so I think it's a little easier said than done

• Like 8

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Huh? The Browns have been rebuilding for decades, and took many tries of top draft picks to get some cornerstone pieces. They are the worst example of that.

There have been good/lucky teams that didn't even rebuild for a year, getting franchise QBs or other star building blocks without a top 10 pick.

Also no one ever says 5 years. 5 years means >90% roster turnover.

Edited by wackywabbit

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Couple things here. First of all, the rebuild isn't done. A rebuild isn't complete when the team adds a bunch of players via trade and free agency. It's complete when the team is actually rebuilt and performing. There's a lot of reasons for optimism for the Browns, and I think they'll be good this year, but the rebuild isn't done yet. Second, like wackywabbit said, no one really expects a rebuild to take 5 years. 3 is probably closer to standard. No one is given a 5 year leash for a rebuild. By then, if a team hasn't improved, you'd be firing a head coach and most of the roster wold be turned over. And third, it's not like the turnaround they might be going through happened overnight. If the Browns just did the moves they did this offseason, no one would give a damn. It's those moves on top of the 2018 draft and the 2017 draft where they got Garrett and Mayfield and Chubb and Ward and etc. The rebuild really started with Hue and Sashi tanking the team and using that to draft some elite talent, respectively. This is really offseason 3 of this team getting built up. Which would be a pretty standard successful rebuild time, IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

Couple things here. First of all, the rebuild isn't done. A rebuild isn't complete when the team adds a bunch of players via trade and free agency. It's complete when the team is actually rebuilt and performing. There's a lot of reasons for optimism for the Browns, and I think they'll be good this year, but the rebuild isn't done yet.

Yeah, we should really wait until Baker starts performing more efficiently than Ryan Tannehill and the Browns win more than 7 games before we start claiming the Browns have proven that all you need is a QB to rebuild a team. 

33 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Couple things here. First of all, the rebuild isn't done. A rebuild isn't complete when the team adds a bunch of players via trade and free agency. It's complete when the team is actually rebuilt and performing. There's a lot of reasons for optimism for the Browns, and I think they'll be good this year, but the rebuild isn't done yet. Second, like wackywabbit said, no one really expects a rebuild to take 5 years. 3 is probably closer to standard. No one is given a 5 year leash for a rebuild. By then, if a team hasn't improved, you'd be firing a head coach and most of the roster wold be turned over. And third, it's not like the turnaround they might be going through happened overnight. If the Browns just did the moves they did this offseason, no one would give a damn. It's those moves on top of the 2018 draft and the 2017 draft where they got Garrett and Mayfield and Chubb and Ward and etc. The rebuild really started with Hue and Sashi tanking the team and using that to draft some elite talent, respectively. This is really offseason 3 of this team getting built up. Which would be a pretty standard successful rebuild time, IMO.

Well I think he is starting with Dorsey. Before that we have been rebuilding for the better part of the last 20 years. Nothing changed until Dorsey started making the moves (drafting Mayfield). We won 0 games with Garrett year 1. Mayfield, Ward and Chubb were all Dorsey.

As far as adding a bunch of players via trade/free agency we have added 3 starters (OBJ, Richardson and Vernon) and lost 3 starters (Zeitler, Collins and Peppers). OBJ will add to the offense but 80% of last years starting offense will remain the same and the guard position change is looked at as a downgrade. Right now there will be 4 defensive starter changes, 2 upgrades and 2 downgrades. I'm happy with how the offseason has gone for the most part but the optimism has a lot more to do with the direction the team started heading with Mayfield last year than it does with OBJ/Hunt/Vernon/Richardson. What I like about Dorsey is that he targets position of need which is what I always thought made sense but so many people seem to dislike in favor of just getting the best talent available, especially in the draft. We did need a #1 WR to turn a good offense into what should be an offense that has a lot of mismatches for the QB to find. Defensively we appear to have helped the pass rush on the defensive line but that's it.

This isn't a one year rebuild. I don't think there is a such thing as a 5 year rebuild unless it is a total rebuild then I think it's a pretty fair time frame. The last full rebuild started in 2016 with Sashi (I believe Kirksey and Bitonio are the only current Browns from before '16) , the Browns started to turn it around in year 3. Could have been quicker with a better QB than Kizer and a HC better than Hue but realistically this has went relatively quickly. This is a Sashi/Dorsey combined effort imo so we are heading into year 4 and if we make the playoffs I will say we had a 4 year total rebuild and I think it would be hard to do it quicker than that. Total rebuild would probably be defined as 95% new roster.

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

Yeah, we should really wait until Baker starts performing more efficiently than Ryan Tannehill and the Browns win more than 7 games before we start claiming the Browns have proven that all you need is a QB to rebuild a team. 

It isn't all you need but it is damn near impossible without a QB.

As far as claiming Baker needs to prove he is better than Tannehilll, you don't even believe that. Mayfield has averaged 30+ more yards per game and has a 5.6 TD percentage advantage to 4.2. All as a rookie. Who took zero 1st team reps prior to getting into a game near halftime against the Jets. Mayfield isn't the same as Tannehill and it isn't a knock on Tannehill, even though I don't even know if he will be starting this year, but Baker was a playmaker at the QB position and that makes him a whole different animal. So I'd back off of that, or start a "who is better" thread in comparison and have people laugh at you, your call.