NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

On 10/8/2018 at 4:39 PM, footbull3196 said:

Breaking: Giants bench Eli Manning for Odell Beckham.  Team is no longer in market for pass catching quarterback to run annoying philly special plays with

In all seriousness, a few formations with Odell as the QB in shotgun and Barkley next to him and running the read or run/pass option sounds pretty fun.

11 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

In all seriousness, a few formations with Odell as the QB in shotgun and Barkley next to him and running the read or run/pass option sounds pretty fun.

idk if I'd want to expose OBJ to constant hits from 270+ lb defensive linemen.  I mean, if I'm a DL I don't care if OBJ hands the ball off to Barkley, I'm getting a shot on him.  It's what the Bengals did to RGIII his rookie season.  Every chance they got, they tee'd off on RGIII even if he handed the ball off.  If you want to run the read-option, be prepared to get hit...

28 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

idk if I'd want to expose OBJ to constant hits from 270+ lb defensive linemen.  I mean, if I'm a DL I don't care if OBJ hands the ball off to Barkley, I'm getting a shot on him.  It's what the Bengals did to RGIII his rookie season.  Every chance they got, they tee'd off on RGIII even if he handed the ball off.  If you want to run the read-option, be prepared to get hit...

It'd be for 1 or 2 plays a game. Don't think that really qualifies as exposing him to "constant" hits from DL.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Agreed.  I really liked that play they ran on Sunday against Carolina.  About time they utilize saquons receiving capabilities on something other than dump offs

31 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Agreed.  I really liked that play they ran on Sunday against Carolina.  About time they utilize saquons receiving capabilities on something other than dump offs

And about time they utilized Odell's many talents other than catching and running with the football. He can throw further with his non-dominant hand than most people can with their dominant one and he's our backup kicker as well. I would love to see him throw, run, and catch a touchdown AND kick a field goal in the same game. Obviously he is too good of a receiver to move him anywhere else for good, but it is fun getting him to do some different things to take advantage of what he offers.

2 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Yep by all means do that more then once with Cox barreling down on you, please. Exactly what he will do.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

And about time they utilized Odell's many talents other than catching and running with the football. He can throw further with his non-dominant hand than most people can with their dominant one and he's our backup kicker as well. I would love to see him throw, run, and catch a touchdown AND kick a field goal in the same game. Obviously he is too good of a receiver to move him anywhere else for good, but it is fun getting him to do some different things to take advantage of what he offers.

I think I remember them using him on punt returns as well last game.  Nice to see them looking for lots of different ways to get him involved

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Yeah, he is an incredible soccer player as well... they should just make him the full time kicker and save the roster spot. 

My friend and I talked about why Brees still have yet to win an MVP? He said its sad that the best statistical QB in NFL history still has yet to win an MVP. 

I told him that if you look at a guy like Brady, he won the MVP in 2007 but he had to throw for 4800yds and 50tds to do so with his team going 16-0. He won another MVP last season but that was only because Wentz got hurt. Had Wentz stayed healthy, Brady wouldnt have won. So Brees either needs to have a Brady type season in 2007 OR need to catch a break this season because the narrative is leaning towards Mahomes, Goff/Gurley because they are leading the best teams in the NFL, everyone is saying these are the teams headed towards a Superbowl matchup, and these teams have the best two offenses in the NFL. Brees is in the discussion but the narrative isnt in his favor. 

I think its unfortunate Brees never won an MVP but if I had to use an example, look at the NBA, Klay Thompson is really the best pure shooter in the NBA. He just plays with a guy who is more out there in Steph Curry. So when people think of the best shooter they always talk about Steph first. Klay is really a better shooter. Brees is great but over the years he has been overlooked by guys like Brady, Peyton, and ARod. Now he is being overlooked by Wentz, Mahomes, Goff, and still Brady and ARod are around. Even guys like Ryan and Cam because those seasons they had unbelievable seasons plus their teams was the best in the NFL. So again, in order for Brees to win an MVP he has to have a great season and the Saints has to be the best team in the NFL. It can happen this season but right now both arent the case. 

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

My friend and I talked about why Brees still have yet to win an MVP? He said its sad that the best statistical QB in NFL history still has yet to win an MVP. 

I told him that if you look at a guy like Brady, he won the MVP in 2007 but he had to throw for 4800yds and 50tds to do so with his team going 16-0. He won another MVP last season but that was only because Wentz got hurt. Had Wentz stayed healthy, Brady wouldnt have won. So Brees either needs to have a Brady type season in 2007 OR need to catch a break this season because the narrative is leaning towards Mahomes, Goff/Gurley because they are leading the best teams in the NFL, everyone is saying these are the teams headed towards a Superbowl matchup, and these teams have the best two offenses in the NFL. Brees is in the discussion but the narrative isnt in his favor. 

I think its unfortunate Brees never won an MVP but if I had to use an example, look at the NBA, Klay Thompson is really the best pure shooter in the NBA. He just plays with a guy who is more out there in Steph Curry. So when people think of the best shooter they always talk about Steph first. Klay is really a better shooter. Brees is great but over the years he has been overlooked by guys like Brady, Peyton, and ARod. Now he is being overlooked by Wentz, Mahomes, Goff, and still Brady and ARod are around. Even guys like Ryan and Cam because those seasons they had unbelievable seasons plus their teams was the best in the NFL. So again, in order for Brees to win an MVP he has to have a great season and the Saints has to be the best team in the NFL. It can happen this season but right now both arent the case. 

No doubt in my mind Brees deserved it over Manning in 2009.

4 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

...Klay is not a better shooter than Curry.

35 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

...Klay is not a better shooter than Curry.

He is. It’s just Steph is more out there with shooting from nearly half court and doing trick shots before games and his brand overall is more publicized than Klay. Like Klay just does his own thing quietly so nobody gives him the true credit he deserves but he is the better pure shooter than Steph.

7 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Klay Thompson is really the best pure shooter in the NBA. He just plays with a guy who is more out there in Steph Curry. So when people think of the best shooter they always talk about Steph first.

Klay is a better catch and shooter, probably the best all time. 

Steph Curry is the best off dribble shooter in NBA history by a large margin. 

Just wanted to clear that up. The game where Klay dropped 60 he dribbled the ball 11 times and had the ball in his hands a total of 52 seconds (only played 29 minutes too which is just unreal). 

I agreed with the rest of your post. I still don't understand why wentz didn't win the MVP last season even though he was hurt.. didnt that happen in like week 14? Same thing with derek Carr the year before. A week 16 injury shouldn't stop you from winning the MVP. Makes no freaking sense when the injury comes so late in the season. 

Archived