NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

5 hours ago, N4L said:

Klay is a better catch and shooter, probably the best all time. 

Steph Curry is the best off dribble shooter in NBA history by a large margin. 

Just wanted to clear that up. The game where Klay dropped 60 he dribbled the ball 11 times and had the ball in his hands a total of 52 seconds (only played 29 minutes too which is just unreal). 

I agreed with the rest of your post. I still don't understand why wentz didn't win the MVP last season even though he was hurt.. didnt that happen in like week 14? Same thing with derek Carr the year before. A week 16 injury shouldn't stop you from winning the MVP. Makes no freaking sense when the injury comes so late in the season. 

I could get behind that. I don’t pay attention though whether a guy catch and shoot or off the dribble. 

Wentz got hurt Week 14 and didn’t win it. Makes me think maybe he wasn’t the run away MVP like people made it seem. I just don’t think 4 games made that big of a difference especially when Brady struggled in December like he did last season. 

16 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

I think I remember them using him on punt returns as well last game.  Nice to see them looking for lots of different ways to get him involved

After the game winning Gano kick this past week, an unaired kick return lateral play almost went all the way for the Giants, orchestrated by Odell. It was an errant lateral away from breaking. You can find the play online if you search for it. Yeah it's great to see him more involved. You see AB and Hill returning, why not Odell?

9 hours ago, N4L said:

I still don't understand why wentz didn't win the MVP last season even though he was hurt.. didnt that happen in like week 14? Same thing with derek Carr the year before. A week 16 injury shouldn't stop you from winning the MVP. Makes no freaking sense when the injury comes so late in the season. 

Derek Carr didn’t not-win the MVP because of an injury...

He just wasn’t as good as 3 other QBs that season.

49 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Derek Carr didn’t not-win the MVP because of an injury...

He just wasn’t as good as 3 other QBs that season.

Statistically, sure. In my opinion he was the MVP because he led so many fourth quarter comebacks. I think they won like 8 games that year by 4 points or less. That counts for something in my book. Especially now seeing how bad that team really was..  they had no business being in the playoffs that year and wouldn't have been close without him 

43 minutes ago, N4L said:

Statistically, sure. In my opinion he was the MVP because he led so many fourth quarter comebacks. I think they won like 8 games that year by 4 points or less. That counts for something in my book. Especially now seeing how bad that team really was..  they had no business being in the playoffs that year and wouldn't have been close without him 

Yeah, but it’s not like teams are trying to get into GWD situations. There’s a reason why they’re never really brought up unless there’s a player with some long term outlier numbers. They’re opportunistic and flukey. 

Atlanta and Green Bay had similar so-so defenses but they were just able to keep/attain their leads better. 

EDIT: And it doesn’t really address the Carr not winning because of his injury point. Even if you value GWDs more than...most other statistics that Carr wasn’t #1 in, the AP or the general audience doesn’t feel the same. He just wasn’t going to win it.

Does anyone think the NFL will see a fundamental change in how they scout for, and prioritize, interior linemen? Aaron Donald, Mike Daniels, Jurrell Casey, Geno Atkins, and you've got Ed Oliver on his way.... All 6'1 or under interior linemen who, most of which can terrorize from that 3 tech spot. With their smaller size they are ofte quicker off the snap, and more importantly effortlessly manage to maintain a lower pad level than the 6'4+ offensive linemen who must defend them. Even though their total weight or lifts may not reflect it, I'd argue they are functionally much stronger within a play than their 6'5 counterparts due to that low pad level, and thus are just as viable run defenders as they are pass rushers since they become tough to move off point of attack (early knocks against guys like Donald predraft were that they'd no doubt struggle in the run game). Since they come from the interior and being engaged is a foregone conclusion, unless you really fly off the ball (as opposed to edge rushers whose primary objective is often to avoid getting fully engaged), length, or lack thereof, is a non-issue. I see these 6'0, 6'1 bowling ball build DTs who can you put at that 3 tech as the new prototype at the position and arguably most valuable spot on the DL, but maybe I'm just overreacting to what are only great exceptions who are dominating at the moment?

Watching the below video brings me back to a random thought I had.  Corners stay on the field (for the most part) unlike WRs who seem to rotate a lot more.  I've always wondered, why not take two deeps shots in a row?  Specifically as a Bengals fan, have John Ross run a deep route forcing a CB and possibly a Safety to have to chase him for a deep ball.  If it's incomplete, have AJ Green line up against that DB (if the team keeps their DBs on one side), and then have AJ Green run a deep route.  That Corner back has to be exhausted, if he just sprinted 40-50 yards the previous play...

2 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Does anyone think the NFL will see a fundamental change in how they scout for, and prioritize, interior linemen? Aaron Donald, Mike Daniels, Jurrell Casey, Geno Atkins, and you've got Ed Oliver on his way.... All 6'1 or under interior linemen who, most of which can terrorize from that 3 tech spot. With their smaller size they are ofte quicker off the snap, and more importantly effortlessly manage to maintain a lower pad level than the 6'4+ offensive linemen who must defend them. Even though their total weight or lifts may not reflect it, I'd argue they are functionally much stronger within a play than their 6'5 counterparts due to that low pad level, and thus are just as viable run defenders as they are pass rushers since they become tough to move off point of attack (early knocks against guys like Donald predraft were that they'd no doubt struggle in the run game). Since they come from the interior and being engaged is a foregone conclusion, unless you really fly off the ball (as opposed to edge rushers whose primary objective is often to avoid getting fully engaged), length, or lack thereof, is a non-issue. I see these 6'0, 6'1 bowling ball build DTs who can you put at that 3 tech as the new prototype at the position and arguably most valuable spot on the DL, but maybe I'm just overreacting to what are only great exceptions who are dominating at the moment?

You can go back to the 90s and 00s and see John Randle and Warren Sapp as shorter, dominate DTs. It's nothing new.

24 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is the worst call I've seen all year.

I believe that is the worst call I have seen since I started watching football. Defenders are running out of things that they're allowed to do. Next thing you know, there will be a penalty for beating a block.

28 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is the worst call I've seen all year.

Soon a star QB is going to get stripped of the ball as his arm is going forward, leading to a labrum/rotator cuff tear, and strip sacks will be an illegal hit as well.

2 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

I believe that is the worst call I have seen since I started watching football. Defenders are running out of things that they're allowed to do. Next thing you know, there will be a penalty for beating a block.

Nope. Last years Eagles vs Rams Trumaine Johnson got a taunting penalty that kept the Eagles drive alive for doing 

absolutely nothing. 

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Soon a star QB is going to get stripped of the ball as his arm is going forward, leading to a labrum/rotator cuff tear, and strip sacks will be an illegal hit as well.

"Personal foul, forcible blow to the throwing arm of a Quarterback. 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down"

except the forcible blow was to the right arm of a left-handed QB

I can already see the above happening 5 years from now.

19 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Watching the below video brings me back to a random thought I had.  Corners stay on the field (for the most part) unlike WRs who seem to rotate a lot more.  I've always wondered, why not take two deeps shots in a row? 

I have thought of this tactic as well, but can't remember my team ever trying this. If you are playing good D and ST and if your QB is decent or better at throwing deep passes, why not try this?

35 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

that watt penalty is the brady rule, not the carson palmer rule just to point out the obvious bias fro brady. For the safety of knees, they do this for QB's , but everyone else now gets hit at the knees often. They could make the QB's wear knee braces, but of course don't. 

If they follow you Labrium/RC protocol , then I doubt I will be able to watch anymore. That is a game changing play and they can't remove that . There have been so many plays like this and I can't recall such an injury from that so hopes are it won't happen. If it happens to a 45 year old brady, they might let it slide because he should have retired by then

Archived