NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

14 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Goff threw for 4688 yards, 32 TDs, 12 Ints, 8.4 YPA, and a 101.1 PR last year, and I'm delusional because I'm not panicking over a stretch of games in a year we made the Super Bowl? Maybe you might be "this delusional" if Stafford put up those numbers and led the Lions to a Super Bowl berth.

Here are the facts. Goff had a terrible three-game stretch (DET, CHI, & PHI) tucked between a dominant three-game stretch (NO, SEA, & KC) and a good two-game stretch (SF & ARI). He then struggled a bit in the playoffs, but that's not abnormal for a 24 year old QB. So, we have two three-game stretches where he struggled, but one occurred solely in the playoffs. Why would I panic over that from a 24 year old QB? HOF QBs have had entire years where they played well below their caliber of play before they hit their primes. It's what happens with young QBs.

I'm certainly not going to worry about Goff looking off in Week 1 this year. He looked off in Week 1 last year. We just benefited from playing the Raiders. Because he doesn't get snaps in the preseason, he is rusty in Week 1. If by the end of our fourth game he's still not looking right, I might start to become concerned. But again, young QBs have their ups and downs.

Just because a team made the SB, doesn't mean there can't be things to be concerned about related to an individual player.  They made it through the playoffs to the SB in spite of Goff, not because of him, so i'm not sure why the Rams making the SB would reflect positively on Goff as a QB.  Obviously making the SB is a completely different subject than how an individual player on your team is performing.  

You thought Bradford was a great QB too.  So no offense if I might think you're just huge homer who can't be remotely objective about your team's QB.

Ill make sure to bump this after week 4 then.  

2 hours ago, fortdetroit said:

Just because a team made the SB, doesn't mean there can't be things to be concerned about related to an individual player.  They made it through the playoffs to the SB in spite of Goff, not because of him, so i'm not sure why the Rams making the SB would reflect positively on Goff as a QB.  Obviously making the SB is a completely different subject than how an individual player on your team is performing.  

You thought Bradford was a great QB too.  So no offense if I might think you're just huge homer who can't be remotely objective about your team's QB.

Vice versa too though if Goff balls out re post as well

6 hours ago, fortdetroit said:

Unsurprisingly, you didn't address my points. Let me know when you have something intelligent to say. Until then, I'll just leave you with this:

Goff-Numbers.png

Rams-Numbers.png

Bye bye

17 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Unsurprisingly, you didn't address my points. Let me know when you have something intelligent to say. Until then, I'll just leave you with this:

Goff-Numbers.png

Rams-Numbers.png

Bye bye

Goffs numbers are hugely booned by a ridiculous start to the season. Once you got past those first few games, he was pedestrian (even bad) the rest of the year cumulatively 

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Goffs numbers are hugely booned by a ridiculous start to the season. Once you got past those first few games, he was pedestrian (even bad) the rest of the year cumulatively 

LOL. I enjoy the mental gymnastics. Goff had a miserable three-game stretch against Detroit, Chicago, and Philly. He had a dominant first four games of the season. Funny how you want to omit his dominant start to the season while magnifying that three-game stretch. What did Goff do in the three games before that miserable three-game stretch? He put up a 68% completion percentage, 374 passing yards per game, 9 TDs to 1 Int, 8.8 YPA, a 115.4 passer rating, and the Rams scored 41.7 PPG. But he must have played three bad teams during that stretch, right? Nope, he played New Orleans (AT New Orleans), Seattle, and Kansas City. All three teams made the playoffs.

Spare me the cherry picking, Matts. You don't get to pick and choose what games count. You don't get to omit games that are inconvenient to your desired narrative. The numbers speak for themselves. And the claim that if you just omit a few games, Goff was consistently pedestrian is a lie. Let's demonstrate that. You get to omit the first four games of the season (his ridiculous start). I get to omit that miserable three-game stretch (DET, PHI, and CHI). We both get to omit the supposed outliers. What are Goff's numbers?

9 games

195/297

65.7%

2556 yards

8.6 YPA

20 TDs

4 Ints

109.5 Passer Rating

That shows how hollow your argument is, Matts. You got to remove the ridiculous start. I got to remove the terrible three-game stretch. And Goff's numbers actually improved. That tells us that your entire argument is based on that three-game stretch and is an attempt to magnify it by taking out the quarter of the season that acts as a counterweight. 

25 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

LOL. I enjoy the mental gymnastics. Goff had a miserable three-game stretch against Detroit, Chicago, and Philly. He had a dominant first four games of the season. Funny how you want to omit his dominant start to the season while magnifying that three-game stretch. What did Goff do in the three games before that miserable three-game stretch? He put up a 68% completion percentage, 374 passing yards per game, 9 TDs to 1 Int, 8.8 YPA, a 115.4 passer rating, and the Rams scored 41.7 PPG. But he must have played three bad teams during that stretch, right? Nope, he played New Orleans (AT New Orleans), Seattle, and Kansas City. All three teams made the playoffs.

Spare me the cherry picking, Matts. You don't get to pick and choose what games count. You don't get to omit games that are inconvenient to your desired narrative. The numbers speak for themselves. And the claim that if you just omit a few games, Goff was consistently pedestrian is a lie. Let's demonstrate that. You get to omit the first four games of the season (his ridiculous start). I get to omit that miserable three-game stretch (DET, PHI, and CHI). We both get to omit the supposed outliers. What are Goff's numbers?

9 games

195/297

65.7%

2556 yards

8.6 YPA

20 TDs

4 Ints

109.5 Passer Rating

That shows how hollow your argument is, Matts. You got to remove the ridiculous start. I got to remove the terrible three-game stretch. And Goff's numbers actually improved. That tells us that your entire argument is based on that three-game stretch and is an attempt to magnify it by taking out the quarter of the season that acts as a counterweight. 

You sir are the one that is doing mental gymnastics. This is a what have you done for me lately league. And Goff has been pedestrian his last 16 games in a row.

He had an amazing stretch to start the season, no one is denying that. Then turned very pedestrian for an entire seasons worth of games.

4 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

Goff has a great arm, but let's be real - his efficiency metrics have been bolstered by those around him. Mcvay, a great line, and a top 5 WR corps. Honest question, what makes Goff better than Stafford or Cousins?

Stafford has been in the league over a decade kind of an unfair comparison he's peaked imo especially on Detroit. 

Cousins just no he is and always will be a guy you have to hide and blend in to win and paid like a franchise qb no thanks. 

Goff is young and is entering year 3 in an offense has a lot more upside other than that they're very similar. 

Archived