NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Yeah. 538 has an entire article on it. Its actually really, really good. It talks about how his pass catching is fine. His pass blocking is fine. His running outside the box is fine. Inside the box, fine. Short yardage, fine.

Its all good not great. 

The greatest thing Zeke does is touch the ball 30 times a game without getting tired or hurt. 

You don't see Zeke being good at everything as his best attribute? Having a HB who can do everything is pretty damn valuable. Gurley's versatility is a big part of what makes McVay's offense so potent. We don't have a tell based on personnel packages because our HB is a studly runner, blocker, and pass-catcher. Not many teams have that. Most of them have a committee with defined roles, and that makes them predictable to a point.

@Dome

It sounds strange, but commanding bad rushing volume is really the only aspect of Elliott’s game that is truly elite. The Cowboys could believe that they have a generational talent at the running back position, and because of this faith, they overuse him.

It’s that overuse that’s the problem. Extending Elliott is the manifestation of an objectively poor offensive strategy. It isn’t just a terrible idea because the valuable portion of Elliott’s production — the situational part — is easily replaced by nearly any back talented enough to make a Week 1 NFL roster. And an early extension isn’t just poor risk management because between 20 to 33 percent of high-volume running backs will incur a serious injury in a given year, though that is also certainly true.6

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ezekiel-elliott-is-not-worth-the-money-he-wants/

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You don't see Zeke being good at everything as his best attribute? Having a HB who can do everything is pretty damn valuable. Gurley's versatility is a big part of what makes McVay's offense so potent. We don't have a tell based on personnel packages because our HB is a studly runner, blocker, and pass-catcher. Not many teams have that. Most of them have a committee with defined roles, and that makes them predictable to a point.

Well, I mean they use terms like "profoundly average" in situational scenarios. But my point was is that he wasnt considered elite at anything else.

Being well rounded is a very good attribute. Being able to stay healthy is probably even better. 

1 minute ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Imagine making a non-special RB, essentially JAG, the highest paid in the NFL. I thought they smartly secured the talents of an elite RB through his prime, but I guess I should have known Cowboys are gonna stay clowning.

Dak only has 3 all-pros on his OL, give him a break.

Because this is what I said. 

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

It's Josh Hermsmeyer. He's a numbers nerd who doesn't understand football well and has been pushing fringe HB opinions for a good while now. These analytics guys can make good points with the data, but they are also victims of their lack of understanding of the game.

6 minutes ago, Dome said:

So Zekes JAG with good genetics. 

Id love to go back and find some posts of you defending Zeke over the years, just for the lols. But I’m going to bed.

Try.

You wont find anything outside of discussing the facts of his criminal case. 

Ive literally been having these same arguments with my own fanbase for well over a year. 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Because this is what I said. 

Ok, obviously not the second part, but is that not what you're saying about Zeke? He's just a solid back who has gotten his reputation through high volume?

Or were you saying, among his many great attributes, his durability is his greatest?... because I'd agree with that, he is a true workhorse back.

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Well, I mean they use terms like "profoundly average" in situational scenarios. But my point was is that he wasnt considered elite at anything else.

Being well rounded is a very good attribute. Being able to stay healthy is probably even better. 

Situationally, Zeke is profoundly average, but some perspective here is probably needed. Situational running, while important, is relatively rare. Around 5 percent of Elliott’s carries came in the red zone in 2018. Fifteen percent came in situations when the Cowboys were trying to close out the game, and 14 percent came on short-yardage runs in the open field. The majority of Zeke’s carries — about 65 percent — occurred in other situations. The problem is that those other situations turn out to be awful times to run the football.

Zeke ran 182 times in the first three quarters of games in 2018 on first and second down with at least 4 yards to go — situations when teams shouldn’t be running very often to begin with.

9 minutes ago, Dome said:

So Zekes JAG with good genetics. 

Id love to go back and find some posts of you defending Zeke over the years, just for the lols. But I’m going to bed.

nah, if anything, you cant say that matts isnt consistent. Hes been saying this for years

On 9/28/2018 at 12:20 AM, Matts4313 said:

Its been statistically proven for the last 15 years the correlation to winning is 100% directly tied an efficient passing game. Wins almost have no correlation to a the run games numbers. 

Thats not to say that running doesnt matter. You pass better when you run better. The two are obvi connected. But at the end of the game, if you run 60 yards with a 2.1 YPC but at the same time throw a 130 QBR, chances are you won the game. Conversely, if you run for 200 yards with an 8 YPC, but throw for 100 yards at a 50 QBR, you most likely lost. 

Thats not an opinion. That is a verifiable stat. Thats been true every single year for ~15 years. 

Zeke is not that important to our team. And he is decidedly less important than Dak at his best. 

On 8/28/2018 at 12:01 PM, Matts4313 said:

If I had to chose Dak or Zeke for the next 5 years, I take Dak 100% of the time. Its not even a question really. Also, and I am going to regret this, but:

https://www.foxsports.com/the-herd-with-colin-cowherd/video/1307274307801

On 11/7/2017 at 3:17 PM, Matts4313 said:

And Wentz was a very average QB until he got a bunch of weapons around him. Its shocking that you all try to pin all of Daks success on Zeke when we have literally seen Wentz with worse weapons - - and he sucked. He was the worst QB in the division (ok, maybe better than Eli) last year until you loaded up with weapons. 

Thats not even disputable. 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Try.

You wont find anything outside of discussing the facts of his criminal case. 

Ive literally been having these same arguments with my own fanbase for well over a year. 

So the alternative is that you’ve had this dumb idea for well over a year. 

Good job, you win this time.

Just now, Malfatron said:

nah, if anything, you cant say that matts isnt consistent. Hes been saying this for years

Just now, Dome said:

So the alternative is that you’ve had this dumb idea for well over a year. 

Good job, you win this time.

1 minute ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Ok, obviously not the second part, but is that not what you're saying about Zeke? He's just a solid back who has gotten his reputation through high volume?

Or were you saying, among his many great attributes, his durability is his greatest?... because I'd agree with that, he is a true workhorse back.

The second sentence. He is good at a lot of things, he is elite at being a workhorse.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

So since the run game doesn't matter why do we still even have runningbacks? I'm confused.

That trollbait thread title was my idiot test on who could actually click a thread, read the OP and form an intelligent thought. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

That trollbait thread title was my idiot test on who could actually click a thread, read the OP and form an intelligent thought. 

Why would I read anything you post when I already know that everything you post is garbage?

Archived