NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

9 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

How good would Archie Manning have been if he had any actual talent in his team

It's such a shame he didn't come around like a decade later. Would've loved to see him on the Mora team with the Dome Patrol. Get them somebody better than Bobby Hebert on those 91 and 92 teams. Averaged like 3 INTs per playoff game under Mora. Archie never saw the postseason but he would've done better than that.

I do think an interesting question though, is how long would Archie Manning have lasted in the current era, with similar career trajectory? I can't imagine a team missing the playoffs for 11 straight years and continuing to start the same QB. Even if that QB didn't seem to be the problem. There's too much pressure to make a change now, IMO. He never would've survived a 1974 type year.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

It's such a shame he didn't come around like a decade later. Would've loved to see him on the Mora team with the Dome Patrol. Get them somebody better than Bobby Hebert on those 91 and 92 teams. Averaged like 3 INTs per playoff game under Mora. Archie never saw the postseason but he would've done better than that.

I do think an interesting question though, is how long would Archie Manning have lasted in the current era, with similar career trajectory? I can't imagine a team missing the playoffs for 11 straight years and continuing to start the same QB. Even if that QB didn't seem to be the problem. There's too much pressure to make a change now, IMO. He never would've survived a 1974 type year.

Depends if he played for the Bengals or not lol

But i agree. Wins matter more than anything these days. Its SO rare to see a player go his whole career with one team anymore, let alone his whole career on an average to sub average team. I cant even think of one other than Megatron but even he played a few playoff games.

20 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Depends if he played for the Bengals or not lol

But i agree. Wins matter more than anything these days. Its SO rare to see a player go his whole career with one team anymore, let alone his whole career on an average to sub average team. I cant even think of one other than Megatron but even he played a few playoff games.

Joe Thomas comes to mind, but it’s definitely a short list.

4 hours ago, N4L said:

We were talking about the 70s in the niners forum, specifically about turnovers because we had 18 through 7 weeks or something absurd like that, and it turns out teams turned the ball over a lot back then. 

The 1978 49ers have the record with 63 turnovers.. we won a game where we turned it over 4 times because the other team turned it over 8 times. 

Look at the '78 and '79 Steelers, Terry Bradshaw threw 45 INT's in those two seasons, and they won two Super Bowls anyway. 

2 hours ago, FinSting said:

Look at the '78 and '79 Steelers, Terry Bradshaw threw 45 INT's in those two seasons, and they won two Super Bowls anyway. 

Bradshaw was a gunslinger.  He was quoted saying that you can lose with me but yo can't win without me.  Many of time he threw it up for Swann to get.

12 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

While Bobby Hart has done somewhat better as of late (still bad but not atrocious), this is too hilarious not to share:

That DE had that play dead to rights. How'd he miss that tackle?

I don't know what's worse on that play, I sincerely don't know.

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

That DE had that play dead to rights. How'd he miss that tackle?

I don't know what's worse on that play, I sincerely don't know.

For as many positives as Mixon has, breaking tackles doesn't seem to be one of them which makes it even more head-scratching.  

Tampa Bay D's had some key injuries (Kwon Alexander and Gerald McCoy), but still...

10 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

For as many positives as Mixon has, breaking tackles doesn't seem to be one of them which makes it even more head-scratching.  

Tampa Bay D's had some key injuries (Kwon Alexander and Gerald McCoy), but still...

I wouldn't even qualify that as an attempted tackle - he just kinda face planted, like that dude trying to dunk off of a trampoline:

tenor.gif?itemid=5442246

Seriously, he just kinda fell down...

Archived