NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I - admittedly - don't keep up with current events. What happened in Maryland? This sounds bad.

It's a pretty ugly story. There's a ton of stuff under the NCAAF section of ESPN.com

But basically about a year or so ago (I think) a U of Maryland football player died as a result of heatstroke during practice. He was running 110 yard sprints, and he was literally falling down and couldn't breathe and told the coaches but the strength and conditioning coach (IDR his name, but he was the only one who got fired. But he still got a nice $300k buyout which is BS) basically just was tormenting the kid. He wouldn't let the other players go help him up when he collapsed, was yelling at him to get up and calling him all sorts of names I can't repeat on here. 

The kids name is Jordan McNair. It really is a sad story. Made all the worse by the news the other day about noone minus one dude losing their job or being held accountable. DESPITE the University President Dr. Wallace Log literally saying he and the school take full responsibility legally and morally, and he showed genuine just utter disqust with what happened. He wouldn't even say the head coaches name he was so upset. And of course, he is "coincidentally" retiring after this year.

There was an initial investigation into what happened, but what they did was conducted it RIGHT next to the coaches office, and made the players sign each of their names when they went in to answer questions about it. And all these reports from some players (some anonymous some even giving their names) surfaced about how the S+C coach and the head coach both were very close, and the former reported directly to the latter. And the S+C coach had a history of doing terrible things to the players that he didn't like and such. And then the HC went out and said he had no clue that any of this went on and that he " was not responsible for overseeing these kinds of things ". EVEN THOUGH HES THE HEAD COACH OF A MAJOR D1 FOOTBALL PROGRAM. And this assistant coach? Was Coach Durkin's (the head coach) first hire when he got to U of M. 

And then the 2nd investigation done by basically a bunch of alumni, one of whom was the head of the board and very close to the HC, came to the conclusion that there was "some examples of toxic behavior in the football program" but that "Coach Durkin was unfairly blamed". 

You should read up on it. Its incredibly interesting based on just how something like this can happen at a major school like Maryland. At the HC's first meeting yesterday back with the players, apparently a bunch of them just got up and walked out. A few even going on Twitter to voice their anger over the coach and Athletic Director keeping their jobs and not being held accountable for a player's death.

Like, the kid was having seizures on the field and this went on for an HOUR before a coach finally let a player call someone. But not 911. First, they called the schools trainer. THEN 911. And he was in ICU for weeks unconscious, where he got a liver transplant but ultimately died due to the damage he suffered from the incident.

33 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The only healthy player is Lesean McCoy lol

Oh, and my bench has EVERYONE on a bye week....and Dalvin Cook (who is also questionable)

That's what you get for drafting overrated players who might get injured.

50 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

It's a pretty ugly story. There's a ton of stuff under the NCAAF section of ESPN.com

Ok, I heard about some of this on the radio. Totally screwed up situation.

As a parent, I'm hesitant to let my kids play football, and its stories like this that fuel this worry. If my kids REALLY wanted to play, I'd probably be be labeled a "helicopter parent" - but not because I'm pushing for PT and stuff, but to take on oversight for ugly stuff like this.

31 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Fatt Patricia... I'm going to show up to work in a sweater and backwards hat looking like an ungroomed hobo, and criticize a media member for being "unprofessional" because they're slouching in their chair.

The friggin' nerve of that guy lmao

I really think Matt Patricia might be my most hated HC in the NFL.

*Does not include interim Head Coaches. In which case Greg Williams would be on a tier of his own. That dude is a full blown psychopath.            I'm almost positive that he and DJ Durkin (Maryland's football coach) are probably best friends. But in that special kind of way, where two sociopaths who get off on berating other human beings can be friends. 

47 minutes ago, KellChippy said:

I never thought Jordan Poyer or Hyde would ever be able to start in this league.  I would love to have either one of them on the Eagles at this point.

You didnt think Micah Hyde, one of the best CBS in college football, and with the Iowa pedigree, could start in the NFL? What?

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You didnt think Micah Hyde, one of the best CBS in college football, and with the Iowa pedigree, could start in the NFL? What?

That’s correct. Everyone who gets drafted is one of the best players in college football. You say that like he is a shutdown corner. He was a fifth round tweener.  

2 minutes ago, August4th said:

Hue reminds me of Micheal Scott from the Office

he'll be on 1st take tomorrow, I think its going to be must watch TV lol

i agree that he’d be a better offensive playcaller than haley purely bc a dildo with a face drawn on it would be a better oc than haley

haley’s such an anomaly bc he can design offenses brilliantly and scheme well but just can’t call plays at all 

9 minutes ago, August4th said:

Hue reminds me of Micheal Scott from the Office

he'll be on 1st take tomorrow, I think its going to be must watch TV lol

...with a better roster!? Wow, going out with grace and class, I see.

8 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

i agree that he’d be a better offensive playcaller than haley purely bc a dildo with a face drawn on it would be a better oc than haley

haley’s such an anomaly bc he can design offenses brilliantly and scheme well but just can’t call plays at all 

Maybe when Hue was strictly a OC. He was worse than Haley at calling plays for us, though. He'd constantly abandon the run even when he didn't need to and it was working well. He'd call deep shot after deep shot with Kizer and a bunch of receivers who couldn't get open. Haley was frustrating as a play caller at times, but I still think he was better than Hue was.

Archived