NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

42 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

That's a ridiculous take.  The bears offense outscore the Pat's offense 31 to 24. The Pat's got 2 special teams TDs.  You saying that the Bears (a top 5 offense and defense) were just the beneficiaries of poor play by the Patriots clearly demonstrated that you arent willing to give credit where it's due.  

2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

That's a ridiculous take.  The bears offense outscore the Pat's offense 31 to 24. The Pat's got 2 special teams TDs.  You saying that the Bears (a top 5 offense and defense) were just the beneficiaries of poor play by the Patriots clearly demonstrated that you arent willing to give credit where it's due.  

Well, the offense did score the points, but you could argue we spotted you 14 points. Fumble of kick off handed CHI the ball on our 20 yard line, fumble handed CHI the ball on our 36. CHI were 17-7 up with Mitch only completing 3 passes. Credit to make the scores though, still had to punch them in. 

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Offensively, the Bears played okay but clearly benefited from some poor play by New England. You don't run 50 yards on an 8-yard run without a few defensive mistakes, just as one example. Defensively, giving up 24 points is not very good, especially considering the Patriots scored 2 TDs without even getting an offensive drive - and giving up 2 special teams touchdowns is horrible. Trubisky missed a lot of throws very badly. Overall, that is what I would classify as a "bad performance." 

Obviously, I'm not giving the Bears the credit you want me to. That's kind of the whole point of this argument. When they played a good team in New England, they turned in what I would consider to be a relatively poor performance. 

17 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Well, the offense did score the points, but you could argue we spotted you 14 points. Fumble of kick off handed CHI the ball on our 20 yard line, fumble handed CHI the ball on our 36. CHI were 17-7 up with Mitch only completing 3 passes. Credit to make the scores though, still had to punch them in. 

Who scored those points? Remind me.

16 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

Offensively, the Bears played okay but clearly benefited from some poor play by New England. You don't run 50 yards on an 8-yard run without a few defensive mistakes, just as one example. Defensively, giving up 24 points is not very good, especially considering the Patriots scored 2 TDs without even getting an offensive drive - and giving up 2 special teams touchdowns is horrible. Trubisky missed a lot of throws very badly. Overall, that is what I would classify as a "bad performance." 

Obviously, I'm not giving the Bears the credit you want me to. That's kind of the whole point of this argument. When they played a good team in New England, they turned in what I would consider to be a relatively poor performance. 

400+ yards for a qb is a poor performance? Ok.

D i d   y o u   w a t c h   t h e   g a m e ?

And there's a reason yardage isn't the stat that you see people relying on: it's easy to pile up yards playing catch-up, and it's not overly highly correlated with scoring. Stats like that can paint a misleading picture. 333 yards sounds good. 26-50 for 333 yards, 2 TDs, and 2 INTs for a 69.8 Passer Rating and 6.06 ANY/A does not sound good.

2 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

D i d   y o u   w a t c h   t h e   g a m e ?

And there's a reason yardage isn't the stat that you see people relying on: it's easy to pile up yards playing catch-up, and it's not overly highly correlated with scoring. Stats like that can paint a misleading picture. 333 yards sounds good. 26-50 for 333 yards, 2 TDs, and 2 INTs for a 69.8 Passer Rating and 6.06 ANY/A does not sound good.

Yeah I watched the game, did you? Bc if you did you know that the only reason the Bears were in that game from start to finish is bc of Trubisky.  What were Mahomes stats against the Pat's? Remind me.

Yeah I watched the game, did you? Bc if you did you know that the only reason the Bears were in that game from start to finish is bc of Trubisky.  What were Mahomes stats against the Pat's? Remind me.

Cool. Again, 26-50 for 333 yards and 2 TDs and 2 INTs is not very good. 

Mahomes against the Patriots: 23-36, 352 yards, 4 TDs, 2 INTs, 110 Passer Rating, 9.78 ANY/A. That's a completion rate 11% better than Trubisky. In the NFL, 63% is good. 52% is bad. That's 19 more yards on 14 less passes. That's two more touchdowns with the same number of picks. That's a Passer Rating 40.2 better. In the NFL, 110 is a good Passer Rating. 69.8 is bad. That's an ANY/A 3.72 better. In the NFL, 9.78 is great for ANY/A. 6.06 is below average. There you go, those are Mahomes' stats from the game against New England.

Just because both threw for 300 yards doesn't mean they were just as good. Yards aren't the only stat in football.

4 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

Cool. Again, 26-50 for 333 yards and 2 TDs and 2 INTs is not very good. 

Mahomes against the Patriots: 23-36, 352 yards, 4 TDs, 2 INTs, 110 Passer Rating, 9.78 ANY/A. That's a completion rate 11% better than Trubisky. In the NFL, 63% is good. 52% is bad. That's 19 more yards on 14 less passes. That's two more touchdowns with the same number of picks. That's a Passer Rating 40.2 better. In the NFL, 110 is a good Passer Rating. 69.8 is bad. That's an ANY/A 3.72 better. In the NFL, 9.78 is great for ANY/A. 6.06 is below average. There you go, those are Mahomes' stats from the game against New England.

Just because both threw for 300 yards doesn't mean they were just as good. Yards aren't the only stat in football.

And you are just going to conveniently leave off the 81 yards and TD that Tru had rushing that day bc it doesnt fit your narrative.  

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

29/45 for 376, and 4/1. Oh wait, no, those were Blake Bortles’ stats vs NE. Pats routinely play down (or up) to their QB competition, especially this year.

Are you trying to paint it like Trubisky diced up a good defense or something, because he put up some yards?

5 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I get it you're trying to defend your QB, but that NE game wasn't good for Trubisky. Any time you're attempting 50 passes and completing less than 60% of those passes (in a pro passing era) you're not playing well (even with some plus rushing plays). 

If you're throwing 50 passes, 300+ is bare minimum of yards you should get. I'd be interested in seeing QBs with 50+ attempts without hitting 300, I'd imagine the list is really short (if there are any names on it at all).

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I get it you're trying to defend your QB, but that NE game wasn't good for Trubisky. Any time you're attempting 50 passes and completing less than 60% of those passes (in a pro passing era) you're not playing well (even with some plus rushing plays). 

If you're throwing 50 passes, 300+ is bare minimum of yards you should get. I'd be interested in seeing QBs with 50+ attempts without hitting 300, I'd imagine the list is really short (if there are any names on it at all).

https://mobile.twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/929145597969469441?lang=en

Joe Flacco holds the record for most games with 50+ pass attempts without making it to 300 yards. 

Archived