NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It's okay to say you think Vick is more elusive in the pocket, but the rest of this is just garbage trolling.

I’m not. We’ve made love to Wilson constantly. 

Never been impressed with his pocket ability. 

And you’re way too young to remember Matt.. 

39 minutes ago, El ramster said:

I’m not. We’ve made love to Wilson constantly. 

Never been impressed with his pocket ability. 

And you’re way too young to remember Matt.. 

Bro I grew up with Hasselbeck. I appreciate the hell out of him, but imagine him doing this:

Image result for russell wilson escape gif

or this

Image result for russell wilson dolphins gif

or this

Image result for russell wilson dolphins gif

Like dude I appreciate a difference of opinion, but I absolutely do not believe you're this dense in actuality.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think Russell Wilson is better than Vick in terms of the magic being pulled off to escape the pocket and make plays, but Vick is definitely the most athletically gifted running QB I've ever seen.

Nobody is/was better than Vick as a runner. He faced a muddle rush on almost every passing snap because you couldn't actually rush him without getting gashed for a big gain. Vick played against some elite DL's and still got outside of them with ease. Wilson is good, but Vick is a different kind of athlete.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Nobody is/was better than Vick as a runner. He faced a muddle rush on almost every passing snap because you couldn't actually rush him without getting gashed for a big gain. Vick played against some elite DL's and still got outside of them with ease. Wilson is good, but Vick is a different kind of athlete.

I was attempting to break down the difference between Vick and Wilson. Wilson, I think, is better at escaping rushers coming at him. Vick though, IMHO, is the best open field running QB of all-time - Wilson is not. I just think when it comes to avoiding pressure in the backfield/pocket, the things I've seen Wilson do is just insane.

24 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I was attempting to break down the difference between Vick and Wilson. Wilson, I think, is better at escaping rushers coming at him. Vick though, IMHO, is the best open field running QB of all-time - Wilson is not. I just think when it comes to avoiding pressure in the backfield/pocket, the things I've seen Wilson do is just insane.

I can see this argument. I think the difference is Vick was so damn fast he just glided away from defenders. He didn't have to spin around like a lunatic and pull magic out of his anus to escape the way Wilson does. Wilson makes more spectacular scrambling around plays, but I'm taking Vick by the slightest of margins when it comes to getting away from a pass rush. Hard to coordinate an argument against one or the other though...it's most certainly a sliver of a difference.

• Vick averaged 7.0 ypc with 36 rushing TDs
    • He was a runner 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and a QB 4th
    • He did have that brief run in 2010 where he put it all together.
  • Cunningham averaged 6.4 ypc with 35 rushing TDs
    • He was a true dual threat
  • Wilson averages 5.9 ypc with 16 rushing TDs
    • He uses his mobility mostly to stay alive to make game changing plays throwing the ball
      • He often turns 8 yard sacks into a loss of 1, not killing the drive
  • Cam averages 5.2 ypc with 58 rushing TDs
    • He is not a great passer, but he elevated his passing in 2015 and at times this year
    • Cam is an absolute red zone beast running with the ball, as anyone with a fantasy RB who plays for Carolina would know
    • Its really hard to break a 25 yard run on 3rd and goal from the 4, but I prefer the 6 points to the better average
  • Steve Young averaged 5.9 ypc with 43 rushing TDs
    • He was pass 1st, 2nd, and 3rd but if the play broke down, he was gone.

Wilson is by far the second best overall QB of the 5.

• He already has more career passing yards than Vick through 7 1/2 seasons.
  • He is a 95-100 rated passer.
  • He won the Super Bowl and got to another
  • He had 22176 yards passing and 3275 rushing through 6 seasons.
    • That's 4242 yards of offense on average.

Cunningham would be 3rd 

• The year he ran for 945 yards, he also passed for 30 TDs and 3450 yards.
  • He had another MVP level season as a passer in 1998

Cam would be 4th and closing.

• He could easily have 100 rushing TDs and 300 passing TDs before he is done
  • Like Wilson, he is not even 30 yet.

Vick is a far, far, far distant 5th.

• He was a gimmick running QB who would sometimes throw.
  • He was a 75.7 rated passer in the 2000s as a Falcon.
  • His career highs as a Falcon were 20 TDs and 2936 yards
  • Who cares if he was a bit faster as a runner? He was far worse at playing NFL QB then all these other guys.

Vick's a better open-field runner, so if you want a scrambler he's your guy (and I don't mean that in a bad way; Vick was a terrifc runner).  But I think Newton offers you more in play-call diversity; he can run outside, inside, short-yardage/goal-line.  The runs you can design for Newton vs the runs you can design for Vick is way different and a lot more variety in Cam's favor, not to mention Newton doesn't fumble nearly as much and has the size to drag guys.

Those are the two best though, if we're just talking who is the best runner.

According to PFF the Oakland Raiders have worst past rush in their history of chronicling, which goes back to 2006. 22% of dropbacks they've created pressure. Aaron Donald on his own has 3 fewer pressures than the entire Raiders defense. Remarkable. 

5 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

According to PFF the Oakland Raiders have worst past rush in their history of chronicling, which goes back to 2006. 22% of dropbacks they've created pressure. Aaron Donald on his own has 3 fewer pressures than the entire Raiders defense. Remarkable. 

I'd love to know where our ranking in sacks and pressures would be if you added Mack's stats to ours.

Hot take - both Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes won't be judged on their 2nd contract by who becomes the highest paid player, but who will take less money to allow some flexibility to maintain a competitive roster around them. 

In essence, which one is going to take the Tom Brady path.

Archived