NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

There's a huge difference that he's failing to acknowledge though, which is his role. In Cincy, he was a 4/3 end, and those numbers are okay, but not brilliant. He was a solid player, and I think that's how he was mostly viewed. In SF, he was a 3-4 end for the most part (obviously could vary in nickel and dime packages) and those numbers are pretty great for a 3-4 end, so his time there he is viewed as great, because as a 3-4 end, he really was. 

idk if position matters as much as usage/responsibilities.  Justin Smith started as a 3-4 DE under Lebeau, and then became a RDE under Marvin Lewis.  But his responsibilities wasn't just put your head down and rush the passer.  A large amount was similar to his role in SF where he would eat up blockers and take on the run...

8 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I can’t believe there’s only two more weeks left in the season. Where does the time go?

My belief is that it goes to the same place as socks that go missing from the washing machine. 

And another thing, when are runningbacks going to learn they have the option to throw the ball out of bounds (past the line of scrimmage) on toss plays or stretch runs that are hopelessly contained? It drives me bonkers when RBs willingly take 3 yard losses by gingerly stepping out of bounds when the play isn't there.

Is this illegal? Am I missing something? Why isn't this being coached?

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

And another thing, when are runningbacks going to learn they have the option to throw the ball out of bounds (past the line of scrimmage) on toss plays or stretch runs that are hopelessly contained? It drives me bonkers when RBs willingly take 3 yard losses by gingerly stepping out of bounds when the play isn't there.

Is this illegal? Am I missing something? Why isn't this being coached?

I think it's likely you end up with an illegal man downfield penalty since it's structured as a run and linemen will be headed for the second level. Not sure if it would implicitly be against any rules, however. Also not sure how grounding times work in that scenario. Would obviously be out of the pocket

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I think it's likely you end up with an illegal man downfield penalty since it's structured as a run and linemen will be headed for the second level. Not sure if it would implicitly be against any rules, however. Also not sure how grounding times work in that scenario. Would obviously be out of the pocket

You are correct about concern about blocking downfield, but I think the OP is right in short yardage situation.e.g 1st and goal don't take a 3-yard loss on a toss or stretch play.

Archived