NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

DsprGM9UwAUc7E0?format=jpg&name=small

Saints force a Matt Ryan fumble with the fastest sack Next Gen Stats has recorded

Marcus Williams got to Ryan just 1.54 seconds after the snap

I don't know how long they have been recording this so Troy's may have been before that but evidently Donald doesn't have the two fastest.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Saints force a Matt Ryan fumble with the fastest sack Next Gen Stats has recorded

Marcus Williams got to Ryan just 1.54 seconds after the snap

I don't know how long they have been recording this so Troy's may have been before that but evidently Donald doesn't have the two fastest.

Yeah, I was wrong lol. The one I saw was a bit under 2.5 seconds. Maybe it was fastest sacks without blitzing.  Who knows how long they’ve been recording the stat anyway.  Might only be a few years.

5 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

That could have just as easily been a running play so I don't know if it would qualify for a sack. I'm not sure how that would be ruled.

It's complicated. It's up to the statisticians' judgment. My understanding from the NFL statistician guide is that it should be ruled a sack, but what do I know? Normally, it's a sack if it appears that the QB is intending to throw. There's some exceptions, but I would think it would fall under this: 

When the quarterback is tackled or, after gaining possession of the snap, he fumbles or falls down, while retreating to his normal passing position, it shall be scored as a sack and yards lost attempting to pass, even though he may not have assumed a passing position.

But....I guess not? Because they did rule it as a TFL. Not sure how or why, though.

http://www.nflgsis.com/gsis/documentation/stadiumguides/guide_for_statisticians.pdf

Troy Polamalu was the man for controversies around these rulings though. He was to the question "Is it a sack?" what Calvin Johnson was to the question "Is it a TD catch?" He had this, which was a TFL and should've been a sack. He did the same against Kerry Collins, also on the Titans, on a QB sneak that was rightfully ruled a TFL. He once had an 8 yard TFL on Joe Flacco on a rollout that caused confusion. Ruled a TFL because they decided Flacco never looked like he was going to try to pass. God forbid this kind of thing were to ever impact a record. Suddenly people would give a huge damn about it.

52 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

It's complicated. It's up to the statisticians' judgment. My understanding from the NFL statistician guide is that it should be ruled a sack, but what do I know? Normally, it's a sack if it appears that the QB is intending to throw. There's some exceptions, but I would think it would fall under this: 

But....I guess not? Because they did rule it as a TFL. Not sure how or why, though.

http://www.nflgsis.com/gsis/documentation/stadiumguides/guide_for_statisticians.pdf

Troy Polamalu was the man for controversies around these rulings though. He was to the question "Is it a sack?" what Calvin Johnson was to the question "Is it a TD catch?" He had this, which was a TFL and should've been a sack. He did the same against Kerry Collins, also on the Titans, on a QB sneak that was rightfully ruled a TFL. He once had an 8 yard TFL on Joe Flacco on a rollout that caused confusion. Ruled a TFL because they decided Flacco never looked like he was going to try to pass. God forbid this kind of thing were to ever impact a record. Suddenly people would give a huge damn about it.

I agree with everything you're saying here. But to the defense of statisticians, particularity in the NFL,  is that you have a set guideline to go by per the equal standards and sometimes there are plays that occur during the game that come close to crossing that fine line and demand more attention than others. This is why NFL "tackle" stats have never been considered official.

Just recently I was debating an instance in the Panthers GDT thread about when Cam Newton threw a ball that was "picked off" while being hit and, to me, it looked like an INT because his arm was going forward. But someone else was arguing that it shouldn't have been an INT on the stat book but rather a fumble. It turns out I was wrong an it was ruled a fumble. 

The point is, sometimes there are times where a play is so close that it's hard to determine one way or the other that you have to stick with the rule book. 

16 hours ago, Forge said:

Apparently Deshaun Watson hasn't lost a football game by more than one score since high school according to a ringer article. Thats pretty incredible. 

I was thinking of this during the Eagles game because Philly was up 13 pts late and in the red zone.  Ended up a one pt game and near win for Watson.

19 hours ago, Forge said:

Apparently Deshaun Watson hasn't lost a football game by more than one score since high school according to a ringer article. Thats pretty incredible. 

For what it's worth, he did lose by 20+ in his first career NFL game, but technically Savage started.

Really though, the main thing there is playing for Clemson will help that a lot.

31 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

For what it's worth, he did lose by 20+ in his first career NFL game, but technically Savage started.

Really though, the main thing there is playing for Clemson will help that a lot.

still impressive. Clemson was good not great when he arrived there. Think Watson has the clutch gene

Archived