NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

19 minutes ago, N4L said:

I am not surprised Goff is so low. I keep saying it. 

He is rarely pressured and throws the ball to wide open WRs more than any other QB in the NFL.

That has started to change the last few weeks and surprise! He hasn't played as well 

That’s def not true 

9 hours ago, RBreezy said:

Only 3 QB’s have ever beaten the leagues #1 defense in the playoffs two year in a row

Joe Montana

John Elway

Nick Foles

2 of those 3 QB’s won back-to-back Super Bowls 🤔

I wouldn't mess with St. Nick.

12 hours ago, N4L said:

I am not surprised Goff is so low. I keep saying it. 

He is rarely pressured and throws the ball to wide open WRs more than any other QB in the NFL.

That has started to change the last few weeks and surprise! He hasn't played as well 

Neither of those statements are remotely true. You can keep saying it, but it's about as meaningful as the guy who keeps saying that Brady is a system QB who would fail outside of NE. Actually, Nick Mullens threw the ball to wide open WRs more than any other QB in the NFL (outside of Brock Osweiler). If you only want to talk about starting QBs, Patrick Mahomes was #1.

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Pretty sure he's not far off. I remember PFF claiming he was pretty high in his amount of open throws.

McVay does a good job of creating them with play design. Can't really blame Goff for taking them.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing

That is somewhat accurate. But Goff's numbers are on par with Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, and Kirk Cousins. Last I checked, almost nobody complains that Tom Brady throws the ball to too many open receivers. Instead, people say that he's great at reading defenses.

15 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Neither of those statements are remotely true. You can keep saying it, but it's about as meaningful as the guy who keeps saying that Brady is a system QB who would fail outside of NE. Actually, Nick Mullens threw the ball to wide open WRs more than any other QB in the NFL (outside of Brock Osweiler). If you only want to talk about starting QBs, Patrick Mahomes was #1.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing

That is somewhat accurate. But Goff's numbers are on par with Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, and Kirk Cousins. Last I checked, almost nobody complains that Tom Brady throws the ball to too many open receivers. Instead, people say that he's great at reading defenses.

So, Mahomes is the least aggressive and Goff is the 5th least? Gotcha

According to that stat... last year Goff was the 3rd least aggressive behind just Alex Smith and Joe Flacco, but as a rookie he was the MOST aggressive.

All this tells me is....... #McVayEffect. Y'all should be happy you have him and that his coaching helped Goff turn it around.

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

So, Mahomes is the least aggressive and Goff is the 5th least? Gotcha

According to that stat... last year Goff was the 3rd least aggressive behind just Alex Smith and Joe Flacco, but as a rookie he was the MOST aggressive.

All this tells me is....... #McVayEffect. Y'all should be happy you have him and that his coaching helped Goff turn it around.

While the stat is labeled aggressiveness, I don't think I'd term it that way. To me, aggressiveness is more about depth of target imo. Goff wasn't that aggressive as a rookie. We just had a terribly schemed passing attack with WRs who didn't separate well. And Goff, like most rookies, had some struggles reading defenses and forcing passes.

As for McVay, I'm not sure how good he is. Whenever the topic is Goff, he's a magician. But when the topic becomes how great McVay is, suddenly, it's all about how much talent he has. Now, I think the world of McVay. I also think highly of Goff. I'm just amused by the shifting narratives.

23 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

The NFL should sell Superbowl champion gear early to both teams starting the day after the championship games. Think of all the revenue they could gain by selling shirts and hats to people who want to act like it's a guaranteed win.

The gear is indeed manufactured right after the CG's and the (eventual) loser gear is sent to Africa and other needy locales

So I guess they could sell some ahead of time to the eager, certain fans

http://mentalfloss.com/article/29884/what-happens-losing-teams-championship-shirts

Following a big win in the Super Bowl, World Series, NBA Finals, or any other major sporting event, fans want to get their hands on championship merchandise as quickly as possible. To meet this demand and cash in on the wallet-loosening "We’re #1" euphoria, manufacturers and retailers produce and stock two sets of T-shirts, hats and other merchandise that declare each team the champ.

Apparel for the winning team quickly fills clothing racks and gets tossed to players on the field. But what happens to the losing team's clothing?

Good360, a charitable organization based in Alexandria, Virginia, handles excess consumer merchandise and distributes it to those in need overseas. The losing team's apparel—usually shirts, hats, and sweatshirts—will be held in inventory locations across the U.S. Following the game, Good360 will be informed exactly how much product is available and will then determine where the goods can best be of service.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:
17 hours ago, RBreezy said:

Only 3 QB’s have ever beaten the leagues #1 defense in the playoffs two year in a row

Joe Montana

John Elway

Nick Foles

2 of those 3 QB’s won back-to-back Super Bowls

When did Nick Foles play the Ravens this year?

Ravens aren't the #1 defense 

tenor.gif?itemid=5026763

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

While the stat is labeled aggressiveness, I don't think I'd term it that way. To me, aggressiveness is more about depth of target imo. Goff wasn't that aggressive as a rookie. We just had a terribly schemed passing attack with WRs who didn't separate well. And Goff, like most rookies, had some struggles reading defenses and forcing passes.

As for McVay, I'm not sure how good he is. Whenever the topic is Goff, he's a magician. But when the topic becomes how great McVay is, suddenly, it's all about how much talent he has. Now, I think the world of McVay. I also think highly of Goff. I'm just amused by the shifting narratives.

That's probably true about the receivers in 2016. Adding the guys you have since then certainly helps, but I've always thought Goff isn't as good as you make him out to be. 

Archived