Every Trubisky play vs Sea

Pool

To my admittedly unexperienced eye, Trubisky only had two poor snaps. Yeah, he had some overthrows and some misses - so does every QB. But there were really only two snaps that were just bad. The first was the first interception, which was a bad throw but a good decision. The second was the near pick in the endzone on the drive that resulted in the FG, which was just a bad decision. I'm not counting the second interception as a bad snap, because from my perspective that was just a great play  made by multiple defenders. Chalk that one up to the defense making something happen.

I don't mind the bad throws - those can be fixed in practice. I'm confident that the Trubisky that we see a year from now won't underthrow that ball. I'm much more used to our quarterbacks giving the game away through their poor decision making, and with Trubisky I'm not really seeing that. Even the greatest quarterbacks make some headscratchers every now and then, and Trubisky only really had the one that I saw (and, as often happens to the greats, too, we got lucky that the defense wasn't able to capitalize). Contrast that with Cutler and Grossman, who made enough bad decisions that three interceptions per game wasn't so unexpected, or Glennon or Orton, who didn't see the field as well as Trubisky and couldn't make decisions in time to move the chains, and I think there's room to talk about Trubisky growing into the best QB we've had in the last two decades.

I don't know, I guess I'm not really seeing the complaints. Is he taking names like Wentz, Mahomes, Watson, or Goff? Not yet. But Wentz got hurt, Mahomes has the most QB-friendly coach of all time (and the man who resurrected Alex Smith's career), Watson has the best receiving corps in the NFL, and Goff has the wunderkind head coach. It's not like those guys don't have plenty of question marks, as well. He's also not looking at all like the bust that many other highly-drafted QBs are shaping up to be, like a Kaiser or Lynch or Bridgewater.

To me, Trubisky looks like he's in a pretty good spot for a year two QB from a supposedly weak QB class, and I don't see any reason why he won't continue to progress as he gets more comfortable in the offense.

On 9/18/2018 at 5:44 AM, HHRedRookHH said:

To my admittedly unexperienced eye, Trubisky only had two poor snaps. Yeah, he had some overthrows and some misses - so does every QB. But there were really only two snaps that were just bad. The first was the first interception, which was a bad throw but a good decision. The second was the near pick in the endzone on the drive that resulted in the FG, which was just a bad decision.

you can't say he only had two poor snaps/throws, then continue to say he had misses and overthrows, because those are poor as well. Completely overthrowing TG18 when he was WIDE open is a HUGE miss. If MT10 steps up into the pocket and hits that, nobody is catching Gabriel and its 6 for the good guys. This is where MT10's happy feet is really affecting him, he doesn't step into his throws, and they then either sail on him (that throw) or he doesn't get enough zip on them (AR12 int). When Mitch steps up and has good footwork, he's the accurate QB we've all seen, when he doesn't is when he looks poor. we need far more of the former and less of the latter.

34 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

you can't say he only had two poor snaps/throws, then continue to say he had misses and overthrows, because those are poor as well. Completely overthrowing TG18 when he was WIDE open is a HUGE miss. If MT10 steps up into the pocket and hits that, nobody is catching Gabriel and its 6 for the good guys. This is where MT10's happy feet is really affecting him, he doesn't step into his throws, and they then either sail on him (that throw) or he doesn't get enough zip on them (AR12 int). When Mitch steps up and has good footwork, he's the accurate QB we've all seen, when he doesn't is when he looks poor. we need far more of the former and less of the latter.

That can be said for every QB...one thing I would say is I fully believe his occasional poor footwork is down to what is going on in his head...he is still learning how to be a QB in this scheme and with time it is all going to slow down for him then he can focus on those fundamentals...one thing I read which must be so difficult is that some of the verbiage in Nagy's offence is the same as Gase/Loggains but it means totally different things...so not only does he have to learn a new scheme he has to unlearn the old stuff but still use it in a different way...that is tough for anyone...

Patience is key here but the raw talent is clearly there.

Archived