Dak: Year Two - Expectations?

D82

giphy.gif

As we enter Year Two of Dak Prescott as the starting QB of our beloved Cowboys, a lot of questions surround how he will perform this season, especially now with the suspension of stud back Ezekiel Elliott, who will likely be out for at least six games. 

While the Cowboys have some decent backup options and of course arguably the best offensive line in football, there will undoubtably be more pressure put on the young second-year signal caller. 

So, the question is, what are your thoughts on how Dak will handle the additional weight on his shoulders?

I dont think pressure affects Dak. 

I think another 4 interception season is unrealistic as he is more comfortable in the offense and will take more shots.

3800 yards, 29 Tds 10 ints and another 4 rushing tds while completing 66% of his passes.

6 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

I dont think pressure affects Dak. 

I think another 4 interception season is unrealistic as he is more comfortable in the offense and will take more shots.

3800 yards, 29 Tds 10 ints and another 4 rushing tds while completing 66% of his passes.

Those would be pretty darn good numbers for a second-year QB. 

Here's the deal with Dak. Everything Joey Ickes said about him last year was right on the money. Romo was a noticeably better QB.

BUT

Dak improved constantly and at an astounding rate.  I don't mean that he always played better than he did the week before. Something far more fundamental and noticeable than that. He clearly worked on his weaknesses, week after week, till they started going away. It was eerie.

Aaron Rodgers played some of the most astounding football I've ever seen to beat us, and while he was the best QB on the field that day it wasn't by much and the fact that it is a pretty clear answer shouldn't hide the fact that the question of who was better that day bore some examination. Now just let that bit sink in.

Dak, playing from behind, in his first ever playoff game, against a guy who has an argument as the GoAT at the absolute Zenith of his game, definitely belonged on the same field and made the question of who was better a legitimate one.

I think CapJ's numbers are about right, but I think Dak's actual play will be a lot better than the mere numbers. We'll see, during the games Zeke misses, but I think people will be surprised at the degree to which Dak is capable of carrying this team.

4 minutes ago, Dirk Gently said:

Here's the deal with Dak. Everything Joey Ickes said about him last year was right on the money. Romo was a noticeably better QB.

BUT

Dak improved constantly and at an astounding rate.  I don't mean that he always played better than he did the week before. Something far more fundamental and noticeable than that. He clearly worked on his weaknesses, week after week, till they started going away. It was eerie.

Aaron Rodgers played some of the most astounding football I've ever seen to beat us, and while he was the best QB on the field that day it wasn't by much and the fact that it is a pretty clear answer shouldn't hide the fact that the question of who was better that day bore some examination. Now just let that bit sink in.

Dak, playing from behind, in his first ever playoff game, against a guy who has an argument as the GoAT at the absolute Zenith of his game, definitely belonged on the same field and made the question of who was better a legitimate one.

I think CapJ's numbers are about right, but I think Dak's actual play will be a lot better than the mere numbers. We'll see, during the games Zeke misses, but I think people will be surprised at the degree to which Dak is capable of carrying this team.

Dak's progression is one of many reasons I'm looking forward to the season, even if Zeke's suspension holds.

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Id love for Dak to have just 1 monster game. Especially if its while Zeke is out. One of those 400 yard 4 TD type games. I know its not relevant to the question on hand, just thought id share. 

That would be pretty sweet...just go balls out through the air. Couple big ones to Gathers and Dez...or even Switzer/Beeznuts.

I don''t think I can call it a regression, but I do expect him to come back to earth a little so to speak. He got away with some things last season. Don't think he attempts many more passes, but I see more shots downfield. I'm thinking 60-62% comp - 3800 yds - 25-30 TDs and 10-12 INTs. 

I don't see him being MVP but I don't expect regression. He's too accurate and made his "money" playing like a true NFL passer, not a mobile rookie playing college ball on an NFL field like other one hit wonders at QB (Young, Kaepernick, Griffin). He has more in common with how Rodgers plays than any of those guys. You are witnessing the dawn of a new era in Dak. Smart, highly effecient football with a guy who can move well, throw accurately, minimize mistakes and never gets rattled. 

Actually, that sounds more like Staubach now that I think about it.

Stat wise? He'll be under 10 picks again. Around 25 scores. But I expect well over 4200 passing yards with all these targets and a lack of Zeke.

I think he'll throw a lot more INTs because I expect that we'll open up more of the playbook. We played a very conservative offense last year that we won't likely be able to continue doing long term. Dak will have to take more shots down the field to keep defenses honest, which will result in more INTs, but it will (hopefully) result in more big plays as well.

Archived