Redskins Sign 2 WR's. Why?

Ghostnote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000963600/article/redskins-sign-wrs-breshad-perriman-michael-floyd

Brashad Perriman and Michael Floyd. 

Should have traded for Josh Gordon imo, but neither of the two above are head cases. 

I guess this means that Doctson is as dumb as they thought he was? Or just as slow. Or a combination of both?

56 minutes ago, mike23md said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000963600/article/redskins-sign-wrs-breshad-perriman-michael-floyd

Should have traded for Josh Gordon imo, but neither of the two above are head cases. 

I guess this means that Doctson is as dumb as they thought he was? Or just as slow. Or a combination of both?

They apparently lost out in the Gordon sweepstakes but I’m still not sure why unless they weren’t willing to give a conditional 5th, which seems ridiculous. If the Redskins were giving a conditional 5th and other teams who have higher picks than than the Pats you’d think Dorsey would take those deals.

They reportedly wanted to ship him out of the conference too. I’m just wondering how in the heck the Pats won this competition to get Gordon if other teams with higher picks :|also were going to give a conditional 5th...  ?

5 minutes ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

I'm ready to move on from Doctson. Fortunately, the redskins usually hit on their first round picks. IF WE arent going to have a winning season,I would genuinely like to tank. Get rid of Gruden and grab either a QB,CB or Guard with our top pick.

I was with you on the moving on from Doctson. He has no ability to take over his position and doesnt seem to have that drive to do so. 

Want to see what this WR crop has this year and see if that is a potential area we need to upgrade. 

I am still not with you on the last part. Would rather keep Jay, move on from Alex and start over. 

1 hour ago, mike23md said:

Doctson = Sucks

PRich = Shoulder Injury that he's dealing with and managing the pain

Crowder = is Crowder

Harris = unproven commodity

Brain Quick = there's a reason we cut him

That's why. But yes, even with the head case potential of Gordon, for a 5th rounder I would've taken a flyer on him for the rest of the year.

19 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Doctson = Sucks

PRich = Shoulder Injury that he's dealing with and managing the pain

Crowder = is Crowder

Harris = unproven commodity

Brain Quick = there's a reason we cut him

That's why. But yes, even with the head case potential of Gordon, for a 5th rounder I would've taken a flyer on him for the rest of the year.

Honestly, I would push Sims to the front of the line and sit Doctson. I would do that with Harris, but with him banged up, Sims is the next man up for me. 

I just can't see Doctson being anything more than a WR 4 at this point. 

7 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Honestly, I would push Sims to the front of the line and sit Doctson. I would do that with Harris, but with him banged up, Sims is the next man up for me. 

Sims is on IR, both he and Quinn have to get surgery on their ankles.

Cobbs is the only other option we have but there has to be come reason they’ve brought in 4 WRs now and not promoted him from the PS, my guess is it’s thst he doesn’t do well on special teams.

11 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Sims is on IR. You mean Simmie Cobbs?

Were gonna hear how great Floyd is on 50/50 balls (sound familiar?) and it looks like he’ll get a chance to compete with Docston for snaps. I was hoping Sims took that role this year but, Ya know. Perriman I think has a chance to make a few plays because he’s a smaller quicker type that could work well with Smith. 

Well see 

The other concerning thing for me is that it almost seems like they’re still just not really getting what their offense needs to be. Forget the big receivers. Forget the jump ball guys — forever, seriously, freakin’ forget them, have we ever completed a damn fade route in the history of the franchise?

Our QB thrives on short, quick, precise, YAC-friendly passing. He can hit deep balls, but his bread and butter is that sorta hyper-WCO where you stretch the field side-to-side and spread the ball around and force the defense to match up with all your weapons (not just WRs but RBs and TEs as well) and cover and tackle.  And in doing so, also negate the pass-rush and open up running lanes and put pressure on the safeties to come up and help and eventually open up the opportunities to go over the top when you’ve got them creeping up. 

To execute an offense like that, you can get away with WRs who aren’t big and aren’t really pure deep threats and who aren’t really strong in terms of bringing in challenged/contested throws. The whole concept is based on scheming them open, not leaning on their physical gifts to make plays even when they’re not really open. You need WRs who are quick, sudden, agile, and precise, who can uncover quickly and hurt you after the catch. 

And yet here we are, bringing in two more WRs who are big lumbering guys who run fast when they get up to speed — but who are sluggish off the line, don’t change direction well, round off their routes, and end up relying on their big bodies more than their ability to separate. It just doesn’t really make sense. 

Why not a guy like Jeremy Maclin or Kendall Wright or even Aldrick Robinson? Or if they’re insisting on size, why not at least someone like Dontrelle Inman or Jordan Matthews who runs great, precise routes? I just don’t get their obsession with these big receivers with straight line speed. It’s just so outdated, like they’re evaluating WRs to play for them in the 80s — except that the guy in charge of the operation played QB in the 80s and won a damn SB with two little WRs that nobody could cover

1 hour ago, bigdog44 said:

Were gonna hear how great Floyd is on 50/50 balls (sound familiar?) and it looks like he’ll get a chance to compete with Docston for snaps. I was hoping Sims took that role this year but, Ya know. Perriman I think has a chance to make a few plays because he’s a smaller quicker type that could work well with Smith. 

Well see 

Floyd at least has a lot of experience in running routes in an NFL offense. I still think this is an issue for Doctson, I could be wrong but I get the feeling and have heard from those like Cooley that he isn’t the greatest route runner. 

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The other concerning thing for me is that it almost seems like they’re still just not really getting what their offense needs to be. Forget the big receivers. Forget the jump ball guys — forever, seriously, freakin’ forget them, have we ever completed a damn fade route in the history of the franchise?

Our QB thrives on short, quick, precise, YAC-friendly passing. He can hit deep balls, but his bread and butter is that sorta hyper-WCO where you stretch the field side-to-side and spread the ball around and force the defense to match up with all your weapons (not just WRs but RBs and TEs as well) and cover and tackle.  And in doing so, also negate the pass-rush and open up running lanes and put pressure on the safeties to come up and help and eventually open up the opportunities to go over the top when you’ve got them creeping up. 

To execute an offense like that, you can get away with WRs who aren’t big and aren’t really pure deep threats and who aren’t really strong in terms of bringing in challenged/contested throws. The whole concept is based on scheming them open, not leaning on their physical gifts to make plays even when they’re not really open. You need WRs who are quick, sudden, agile, and precise, who can uncover quickly and hurt you after the catch. 

And yet here we are, bringing in two more WRs who are big lumbering guys who run fast when they get up to speed — but who are sluggish off the line, don’t change direction well, round off their routes, and end up relying on their big bodies more than their ability to separate. It just doesn’t really make sense. 

Why not a guy like Jeremy Maclin or Kendall Wright or even Aldrick Robinson? Or if they’re insisting on size, why not at least someone like Dontrelle Inman or Jordan Matthews who runs great, precise routes? I just don’t get their obsession with these big receivers with straight line speed. It’s just so outdated, like they’re evaluating WRs to play for them in the 80s — except that the guy in charge of the operation played QB in the 80s and won a damn SB with two little WRs that nobody could cover

I think that we did work out Kendall Wright, someone else signed Aldrick Robinson - I think it was Kyle in San Fran - Maclin would be someone I think would be good because he and Alex Smith have history and chemistry together. It’s too late though, they even made their 2 signings, let’s hope one of them shows up or Doctson does this week.

19 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Why not a guy like Jeremy Maclin or Kendall Wright or even Aldrick Robinson? Or if they’re insisting on size, why not at least someone like Dontrelle Inman or Jordan Matthews who runs great, precise routes? I just don’t get their obsession with these big receivers with straight line speed. It’s just so outdated, like they’re evaluating WRs to play for them in the 80s — except that the guy in charge of the operation played QB in the 80s and won a damn SB with two little WRs that nobody could cover! 

In other words, we need a bunch of Santana Moss'es

Archived