Show me the money!, say 20 Hall of Famers

vike daddy

11 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

It really bothers me that they feel only members of the Hall of Fame deserve this...

I agree that HoFers shouldn't be treated differently.

With that said, while I agree better health insurance should be given to all, I very much disagree with the annual salary part. You were paid to play. You are no longer playing so you don't get paid. That is pretty simple. No other business works like that.

HOFers when TO doesn’t attend the ceremony: “He’s not only hurting himself, but he’s taking attention away from his fellow inductees and he’s disrespecting current members.”

HOFers when they want money: Boycott

Im really starting to hate the NFL and it may not be long before I just give up on it.    It's getting to a point where the sport and games themselves are an afterthought to the drama that surrounds it.   I remember even just 5 or 6 years ago, I would be excited all week for the next weekend of football, and my mood the entire week would depend on the Steelers winning or losing because I was so attached to them.   Now?   I never really get excited for games, dont care much if they win or lose, and I have little interest in watching other games.    Basically, Ive turned back into a casual fan....not because I dont like football as much, but because the NFL does nothing but continue to push me away.

The health insurance part at least makes some sense, but If they give these idiots a salary or shares of the revenue, Ill laugh.   If they dont like it, kick them out of the HOF.

Can't hit a QB high or low or in the mid-section.....now this. Damn.

I have always agreed with the notion that owners make too much and former players should get better compensation but this is not the way to go about it.

That said though. Hear me out. IF the league did indeed start to force owners to use revenue sharing for retirees, that may also mean that they would be forced to not pay QB's, pass rushers, etc the money they are now, which would not be a bad thing. 

BUT! On the other hand, I don't know how I feel about that either because if they were to make any move that would effect any position's salary I would prefer it be RB. I don't think they make enough--despite it's shorter term lifespan. They got screwed in the last CBA.  

Pathetic....

I'm all for health benefits for retired players, but this is ridiculous....

I'm honestly more worried about the guy that spent 1 or 2 seasons in the NFL and is now working at a convenience store, than the multi-millionaires that got into the HOF.

9 hours ago, mse326 said:

I agree that HoFers shouldn't be treated differently.

With that said, while I agree better health insurance should be given to all, I very much disagree with the annual salary part. You were paid to play. You are no longer playing so you don't get paid. That is pretty simple. No other business works like that.

I would think any NFL pension would be (and should have been, but the NFLPA sucks) negotiated for players moving forward, and wouldn't apply for players that weren't covered under a CBA that contained a pension provision. And if the NFLPA wants to go that way, it's not a bad way of structuring payouts. The average career in the NFL is 3 years, so even maxing out a 401k would only get you to a nest egg with ~$165k of contributions, plus interest. If the goal of the NFLPA is that the average career would set them up to essentially coast to a secure retirement, a pension would help bridge that gap. The health insurance side of things is vastly more complicated given that the NFL has already been found liable for failure to disclose the risk of brain injuries caused by playing football.

To me, the difference between HoF players and non-HoF players in this is simple: the HoF players still provide the league exposure by attending this ceremony that the league finds valuable, so they have leverage the other players don't. Could they use that to get benefits for all players? Theoretically, but I'd imagine the league would scrap the HoF before letting it seriously add to their expenses in the way that health insurance or a pension structure for all retired players would.

That said, if they don't want to attend out of the goodness of their hearts, then that's their business. As far as I'm aware, they're under no obligation to show up for free.

8 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Why did I think ex-players already had a significant health-care plan available to them? I thought that was a thing anyway.

https://www.playsmartplaysafe.com/resource/nfl-benefits/

• NFL Player Insurance Plan: The plan calls for health insurance to be made available free of charge to eligible recently retired players who have played in the league more than three seasons. These players receive five years of free health coverage for themselves and their families after they leave the league. The players then have the option to continue to pay for coverage for an unlimited number of succeeding years.

Some do. Eligible and recent are the operative words. There also isn't a description of how good the plan is (that I can find), though I'd imagine it's not a disaster-only type insurance.

My overall take reading the benefits is that they are very tailored to players that have completely debilitating conditions that are conclusively proven to be related to football. That might be 100% wrong, since that website doesn't really give many specifics at all. For example, with the Health Reimbursement Account - up to $350k/player sounds great, but that could be structured so you need tons of service time before the payout gets appreciable. 

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Nice to know Kurt Warner and Jerry Rice were not in on this...looks like Dickerson went off without checking with some people. 9_9

This is VERY bothersome to me. This is more than a miscommunication two interested parties, this feels like somebody is name dropping to validate a claim.

At this point, I'd request to hear from each player individually before I'd even give this the time of day. To put it bluntly, I think somebody is lying about who is in on this.

Every player who has ever played should have their healthcare covered for the rest of their lives and retired players like these guys should definitely be collecting a pension. Not sure how much or if every player should get one, but they should definitely be getting something. The NFL still profits off their likeness. I don't understand why anyone would ever side with the NFL over the players in matters like this. The only problem you should have with this is that these players are only fighting for a select few, including themselves, and not every player.

If you play one day in the MLB, your healthcare is covered forever. If you play 41 games, you start to receive pension benefits. The NFL should enact something similar (proportionally of course). Oh and the MLB should actually pay their minor leaguers.

17 hours ago, minutemancl said:

If you play one day in the MLB, your healthcare is covered forever. If you play 41 games, you start to receive pension benefits. The NFL should enact something similar (proportionally of course). Oh and the MLB should actually pay their minor leaguers.

MLB players with 1 day of service time get a lifetime of access to the MLB health plan, but not their healthcare covered. Slight difference.

Also, it's 43 days of service time, which isn't 41 games. Typically, MLB players get one day off a week, so 7 days of service time for every 6 games even if you're playing, but most players don't play every day. For a starter, that could be 7 or 8 games started. That said, the pension scaled to service time and is really small for players who just hit that cutoff. It maxes out around 10 years of service time. Jose Fernandez, who had accrued nearly 4 years of service time when he died, gets something like $30k/year from it.

And yes, they need to pay their minor leaguers and they shouldn't have restricted bonus pools for signing Latin American players either. But at least it's not the NFL/NFLPA.

18 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Every player who has ever played should have their healthcare covered for the rest of their lives and retired players like these guys should definitely be collecting a pension. Not sure how much or if every player should get one, but they should definitely be getting something. The NFL still profits off their likeness. I don't understand why anyone would ever side with the NFL over the players in matters like this. The only problem you should have with this is that these players are only fighting for a select few, including themselves, and not every player.

Did you read the entire thread? I have stated at least twice (and now 3 times) that EVERY player who accrues a minimum of THREE years on an NFL team (actual team player, not practice squad) gets a full pension at retirement age (that's when pensions kick in and not until then). 

Some are behaving as though there is no pension in the NFL. There is a pension for EVERY PLAYER with at least 3 years on a team. 

The pension is there. It is. I promise. 

Archived