Week 3: New York Giants @ Houston Texans

Acgott

13 hours ago, Shockey1979 said:

Yea while watching the game off the DVR I was keeping an eye on Wheeler and he played pretty well. When 1 on 1 with Watt he struggled but that's expected. All that matters is how comfortable Eli felt and it was probably the best I've seen him look in years. He was going through his reads, wasn't going directly into panic/checkdown mode. Trusted his line and stepped up when needed. I don't know if Wheeler actually physically played better then Flowers, but if Eli believes it that's all that matters. On one of those long Barkley runs Wheeler mauled Watt from the inside and turned him which gave SB a huge lane to run through. Not sure Flowers does that. 

Bingo.

And good call on the touchdown run. I've said this a couple times, but Wheeler is the opposite of Flowers. Wheeler does his best work in the first second following the snap. His punch and first step, in his pass set and run blocking, and miles better than Flowers. Flowers finishes better, which comes from being a superior athlete and having more experience. On a play like that, it highlights what Wheeler can bring. I had him penciled in as the starter at RT in the preseason, so I'm not surprised he is the better option. He looked like I expected him to look last year; it would be awesome to see him improve throughout the year.

11 hours ago, raiders90 said:

hey guys question, how is Mario Edwards playing???

He recorded one of our 3 sacks yesterday, along with 3rd round rookies Carter and Hill. Looked really good on that one play. However, he has played very limited snaps and spells Snacks on obvious passing downs. Seems like a good role fit for him.

This game showed exactly what I mean about Eli. He still has games like this in him. He should NOT be leaned on heavily at all anymore but we can win with him. The ugly games like Week 2 have been a part of Eli's entire career. He definitely has less zing on his throws but he can get it done. And he is NOT overwhelmed mentally. Give him a little time and he can get it done. As long as we're not 2 scores behind in the 1st quarter, we have a great shot. Keep Barkley and the running game involved. Maintain that balance and avoid big negative plays. 

Hopefully we get OV and Eli Apple back this week, get another W and build some confidence. All of a sudden, our next stretch is not horrible. NO and CAR are very winnable games. PHI and ATL will of course be tough but then we have WAS and a Garoppolo-less 49er team. If all goes well, we could be 5-4 with a winnable back end of the schedule. 

We are not a very good team right now and we have a ton of holes that we will not be able to fix throughout the season. But with a couple things going our way, we can sneak into the playoffs.

1 hour ago, GMENNATION said:

This game showed exactly what I mean about Eli. He still has games like this in him. He should NOT be leaned on heavily at all anymore but we can win with him. The ugly games like Week 2 have been a part of Eli's entire career. He definitely has less zing on his throws but he can get it done. And he is NOT overwhelmed mentally. Give him a little time and he can get it done. As long as we're not 2 scores behind in the 1st quarter, we have a great shot. Keep Barkley and the running game involved. Maintain that balance and avoid big negative plays. 

Hopefully we get OV and Eli Apple back this week, get another W and build some confidence. All of a sudden, our next stretch is not horrible. NO and CAR are very winnable games. PHI and ATL will of course be tough but then we have WAS and a Garoppolo-less 49er team. If all goes well, we could be 5-4 with a winnable back end of the schedule. 

We are not a very good team right now and we have a ton of holes that we will not be able to fix throughout the season. But with a couple things going our way, we can sneak into the playoffs.

I disagree on both of these points. I don't think he has lost anything arm strength wise, but he gets overwhelmed a lot easier now and is just entirely ineffective when he is. He has no pocket escapability. But you're right, we saw what he can still do when he has time and a running game. We just need to keep giving him time and a running game. I think this week we may see Wheeler enter Ereck Flowers territory as he goes against Cameron Jordan, who I think might be a better pass rusher as of this moment than Demarcus Lawrence or JJ Watt. 

The biggest difference in OL between Week 2 and 3 was Omameh played his butt off in week 3 and played great. IMO, Wheeler himself is not an upgrade over Flowers, at least not yet. But if him starting makes Omameh play better and Eli more comfortable, he is a huge upgrade in that respect.

11 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

I believe Alvin Kamara and Michael Thomas would disagree.

They Saints duo has an EXCELLENT argument for being a better tandem at the moment. But there is zero chance they are more explosive. There are maybe a couple of WRs that are more explosive than Odell in the league right now, and Thomas is not one of them. He is a great WR in his own right, however. Barkley is also as at least almost as quick as Kamara and significantly faster. I'd like to see what Kamara would do in our offense with this line and an inconsistently accurate Eli.

On 9/28/2018 at 8:28 AM, w4rrior723 said:

They Saints duo has an EXCELLENT argument for being a better tandem at the moment. But there is zero chance they are more explosive. There are maybe a couple of WRs that are more explosive than Odell in the league right now, and Thomas is not one of them. He is a great WR in his own right, however. Barkley is also as at least almost as quick as Kamara and significantly faster. I'd like to see what Kamara would do in our offense with this line and an inconsistently accurate Eli.

I agree with you about Odell being more explosive than Thomas, I don't agree that Barkley is significantly faster then Kamara.  There is no need to go back and fourth on that, in a few hours everyone can see for themselves.

As for what Kamara would do behind this o-line and Eli you can say that about anyone that is good. Would Ezekiel Elliot still be Ezekiel behind this offensive line, would Tom Brady be Tom Brady behind this offensive line. You can't go by that, the situation is just what the situation is. I will say the Giants used the 2nd pick in the draft for  Barkley the Saints used the 67th pick for Kamara, believe should also be factored in when comparing the two.

37 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

I agree with you about Odell being more explosive than Thomas, I don't agree that Barkley is significantly faster then Kamara.  There is no need to go back and fourth on that, in a few hours everyone can see for themselves.

As for what Kamara would do behind this o-line and Eli you can say that about anyone that is good. Would Ezekiel Elliot still be Ezekiel behind this offensive line, would Tom Brady be Tom Brady behind this offensive line. You can't go by that, the situation is just what the situation is. I will say the Giants used the 2nd pick in the draft for  Barkley the Saints used the 67th pick for Kamara, believe should also be factored in when comparing the two.

I see that you're saying, but at the end of the day where they are drafted is completely thrown out the window when they step on the field. I already said they Saints duo has an excellent argument for being better at the moment. But it's really pretty clear to me who is faster. Look at Barkleys combines numbers, but more importantly his game tape. He just kicks it into another gear and burns by DBs with good angles on him on so many of his long runs. Kamara is just as shifty, but he doesn't have that extra gear.

55 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

He looked to have plenty of extra for that last touchdown run.

I'm not taking anything away from his run, but he really didn't blow by anyone. He did a great job hitting the hole while running through an arm tackle. Then there was a TON of space with nobody in sight. 3 defenders were on his tail and they started catching up to him pretty easily but they just ran out of time and he slipped another tackle. Excellent run but I wouldn't describe is as "explosive." I think elusive is a better word to describe Kamara. Like I said, the dudes a stud but theres no way he's more explosive than Saquon. That doesn't mean Saquon is a better player at this point (it's arguable).

Archived