PIT WR Antonio Brown skips Monday practice

Broncofan

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

checks latest Schefter tweets

Yep. Diva.

If this is meant to be sarcasm....you apparently didnt even read the post of mine you just quoted.

Brown was a diva before this.     Not a TO level.....more like how Steve Smith was a diva years ago.

3 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I find myself saying "imagine if Odell did that" about things AB does a lot.

Thats why I said, I wonder how AB would handle some of this stuff if he played in a bigger market, where fans and media are more ruthless.

12 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I get that....star players get more leeway than average or worse players.

Still, in the end, my only argument is that Brown isnt some kind of victim in this whole mess.   He is being a baby.     I fully support him telling someone who verbally insulted him to shove it....but I dont support him putting himself above the team, which is something he has done several times.    Do we put up with it because he is great?  Yes..but that doesnt mean fans have to be happy or excuse Brown for his actions....just as Im sure Browns fans felt in regards to Josh Gordon.

Im 100% with your take. 

Should Brown be responding to Twitter trolls like he did? Itd be better if he didn't. But its not a HUGE deal. Not even close to, say, Kevin Durant and the fake accounts he made. 

But AB really seems like a me-first kind of player who will say he acts the way he does (ie yelling at coaches and teammates on the sidelines, pouting if he isnt directly involved in a big play) because "he only cares about winning", while truly he really just wants to put up big numbers every game, with winning just being a bonus.

For NFL teams to TRULY have the kind of success needed to win a Superbowl, you need essentially all your players from your stars to your rotational guys and so forth to all know their roles.

And no WR's true role, no matter how great he is, comes down to just him needing 15-20 targets a game. #1 WRs are just as important because of what they do when they arent being thrown to as when they are. Maybe more so. Because of how their presence alone can affect the opposing team's defense and shift its focus toward you and allow for more space for mismatches to be created and others getting open. 

(Note: Im using the Eagles as an example because I watch every snap of every game they play and simply know more about them) But the 2017 Eagles team really really embodied the whole "team first" philosophy. Every single player on that team bought in to it. Alshon Jeffrey, who was extended mid freaking season to a big contract, was awesome all season with how he handled himself on and off the field, his effort and focus, blah blah blah etc. He was fine whether he was being thrown to 15 times in a game and putting up numbers, or also if he wasnt getting many looks at all because he was being double teamed all day long. The latter was because he relished in his teammates' accomplishments whether he got credit or not . And that goes for every single others player. *Note that Alshon also, as we later found out, was literally playing through the latter half of the year (AFTER he got all that money) despite being injured with something that would have most players not playing. And then theres Jason Peters...the guy who is still an All Pro at 36 or w.e he is now, yet when he goes down with that season ending injury againsy Carolina isnt seen on the cart clutching his leg/ankle and crying. Hes seen freaking trying to give as much advice and coaching to his replacement as possible before hes carted away.

THAT is just a select few (of many) examples of how you can be an excellent individual player, be recognized for it, and still be a team first player. 

I just dont think the Steelers have enough of those guys. 

I think Shazier was such an incredible leader and is someone who fits the description above of the ultimate team player, and thus losing him last year to such a sad injury like his has really impacted the team in a lot of ways. 

And some blame HAS to go to Tomlin. You're the HC. You dont have control of what your players say ultimately,  but you damn well have a LOT of power and influence there. IE the players all bashing Bell when he didnt report to camp. I mean really? Especially ones who are supposed to be veteran leaders and NFLPA members like Pouncey or Foster. Things like that dont happen right now in Philly, or New England, or Minnesota, or the Rams....

As a coach, once you start letting guys do whatever they feel like you really can't reverse it.  When Antonio Brown did the Facebook live thing during a post game speech that pretty much showed his lack of respect for coach Tomlin and his teammates.  Once that happened and it wasn't hard nosed stopped, you open the flood gates.  I mean, look at the Steelers offensive lineman sounding off on Bell before the season started.  This is just a circus at this point and there's no way to stop it because it's been allowed to happen already.

Tomlin is a good coach, I just think he's reached his limit in this particular locker room.  A change of scenery would be great for him as well as a fresh start.  Tomlin is a guy that I bet a lot of players throughout the league respect, but he seems to have lost that in the Steelers locker room for whatever reason.

Some writer from The Undefeated said that Antonio Brown threatened him via direct message because he tried to get an interview with some people in Brown's camp or something to that effect.

The Steelers need to draw the line with Brown and tell him to get rid of the social media accounts.  Or at least never post of them during the season.  Something.  The guy is a keyboard warrior, but he won't do actual interviews.

Archived