Week 3 GDT: Kansas City Chiefs vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Alright, the 4th quarter definitely wasn't pretty but we still got the win against Detroit. Should have been a blow out victory but K'wann Williams' choosing to cover the wrong receiver in his zone gave Detroit life and they almost beat us. Pretty embarrassing stuff. 

Anyways, on to Kansas City arguably the best offense in the league right now. Mahomes plus a bunch of explosive weapons is trouble. They have been lighting it up through the first two weeks of the season. Not going to be easy to stop them.

Sherman has only been tested four times this season but I have a feeling that changes this week. He now goes up against Goodwin-esque type of athletes at the WR position so he has to be on his game. Spoon on the other end after his disastrous 4th quarter is surely to be tested early and often. I believe in him, and think he will hold up fine. 

The big problem is if our pass rush doesn't get to Mahomes, there just is no way you can keep those weapons in for long. Our safeties have to play super disciplined and can't give anything over the top.

Excited to get Foster back who will help this defense big time. Foster/Warner should be as good as it gets in shutting down opposing teams screen plays and finally we get some physicality on the defensive side of the ball.

Offensively, Garoppolo was still thinking of the Vikings game from a week prior and didn't play his best. Time to move on from that and get back to his usual self. He should have plenty of chances to move the ball against a suspect KC defense. This game is going to be all about ball control and finishing with TDs instead of FGs. 

Really, our only chance is if Goodwin plays. The offense just isn't close to the same without him. He's turned into a complete WR and is able to beat man coverage unlike our other receivers. It's clear that defenses have decided to play man on the outside and stack the middle of the field with safeties/LBs. Shanny is going to have to get creative in getting our WRs off of press coverage.

I tend to believe our team is more like the one we saw for seven quarters opposed to the one that played in the 4th quarter vs Detroit. With Foster returning and hopefully Goodwin coming back, I see us being very competitive. It will be a one score game either way. Can't pick a winner yet. More the score will be like 30-24 or 30-27.

5 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

Shootout inbound, folks. 

That's what most will expect and it will end up being fairly high scoring, but I think we will play a ball control type of game. Bunch of 10-12 play clock eating drives. If we are to win then it comes down to how many TDs we score in RZ opposed to FGs.

KC is so loaded

Kareem Hunt, Ty Hill, Sammy Watkins, Travis Kelce my goodness. We just have to hope their young QB makes more mistakes than our young QB. Which through 2 weeks looks very doubful. But it's only been 2 weeks and thats not nearly enough to summarize what any team is made up of (unless you're buffalo). 

I think a shootout is likely too,  but I want to see one of our receivers really dominate from start to finish. I know Shanny loves to spread things around but a Julio-esque performance from Garcon or Goodwin would be clutch in a game like this. 

Any word on Malcom Smith for this game? Elijah lee played well last week too, i'd love seeing him in some 3 lb sets if we ever see that.  

20 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Any word on Malcom Smith for this game? Elijah lee played well last week too, i'd love seeing him in some 3 lb sets if we ever see that.  

If you're hoping to see Malcolm Smith in 3 LB sets, I can get behind that. I hope to never see Lee play another snap on defense. He was horrendous. 

49ers historically always get their *** kicked in KC. I don't believe things will change here. Mahommes has thrown 10 touchdowns in 2 weeks. That's nuts. We'll get Foster back, but our defense is still dog **** as a unit. Mahommes will have a big day with at least 3 touchdowns. Hunt will run wild since we can't tackle, and Tyreek Hill is gonna eat since we can't cover. Our boys will be gassed.

Even though the Chiefs defense is ranked last in DVOA, we will find a way to make them look respectable. Jimmy G will continue to take too many sacks by overthinking, throw picks, and receivers will continue to drop passes/not separate. Morris and Brieda might have some success, but it won't be enough to keep pace. Also, already expecting more bed wetting in the redzone. This will be one to forget.

Chiefs 45

49ers 17

4 hours ago, Forge said:

We were not watching the same game, sir

Must have missed some key plays then I was in and out. But the first half where I watched the majority I was impressed with his open field tackles and a play were he shot through for a tfl. Might have confused 47 and 48 on some plays though so I’ll take y’alls word for it. 

We will need to win the turnover battle this week. Mahomes hasn't thrown an interception this year, that needs to change. its also his first home start of his career, place is going to be loud. 

It would be nice to play keep away from them, some long drives where we dink and dunk would be to our benefit. Part of that is forcing their corners and S deep so that we can dump it off underneath.

Andy Reid is allergic to running the ball 20+ times especially if we can shut down their run game early, he will abandon it for the most part.

We will need to get creative to get pressure. It would be nice to do some corner blitzes. 

Is this the week that our 6'8 DLmen tip a pass that gets intercepted? 

42 minutes ago, N4L said:

We will need to win the turnover battle this week. Mahomes hasn't thrown an interception this year, that needs to change. its also his first home start of his career, place is going to be loud. 

It would be nice to play keep away from them, some long drives where we dink and dunk would be to our benefit. Part of that is forcing their corners and S deep so that we can dump it off underneath.

Andy Reid is allergic to running the ball 20+ times especially if we can shut down their run game early, he will abandon it for the most part.

We will need to get creative to get pressure. It would be nice to do some corner blitzes. 

Is this the week that our 6'8 DLmen tip a pass that gets intercepted? 

The pressure is the most important thing. The chiefs o-line has done a very, very good job of keeping him clean for the most part. When he's got time and can set and do all that good stuff, he's fine. In college, on the rare instances that he was hurried and rushed, that is when his mechanics and footwork went to hell. Have to get that pressure on him, see if he has grown in that regard. Unfortunately, we don't have the people to do that. I don't think we will get more than one sack. 

As to the bolded...isn't it amazing that we don't bat down more passes at the LOS? lol. You'd think we would. 

33 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

do they play more man or zone?

The chiefs largely run more man coverage than anyone else in football under Sutton. They ran the highest in 2017, second highest in 2016. 

That being said, they are still in zone coverage a little more than half the time (they were about 47-49% man coverage the last two years) 

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

The pressure is the most important thing. The chiefs o-line has done a very, very good job of keeping him clean for the most part. When he's got time and can set and do all that good stuff, he's fine. In college, on the rare instances that he was hurried and rushed, that is when his mechanics and footwork went to hell. Have to get that pressure on him, see if he has grown in that regard. Unfortunately, we don't have the people to do that. I don't think we will get more than one sack. 

As to the bolded...isn't it amazing that we don't bat down more passes at the LOS? lol. You'd think we would. 

I don't think I saw the chargers nor Steelers do anything unique while trying to create pressure. He's playing like a seasoned vet looking off defenders, moving in the pocket and delivering the ball. We need to mix things up and make him uncomfortable. Give him looks he's never seen before 

I can understand why Buckner doesn't go for pass deflections because he is trying to get to the QB, but armstead has no excuse lol he should be 10 ft in the air on every pass play 

Archived