Week 3 GDT: Kansas City Chiefs vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

I was just comparing those stated teams. Each of the teams you mention in the above quote have a win or wins. That's all that matters to me in this early part of the season.

Right. Okay. If that's the way you judge it, that's cool, was just trying to figure out what the logic was there. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Questionable designation. 

I'd say he is more likely to go than Tartt who wasn't even practicing yesterday. Not sure if he participated in today's practice or not though. Sherman returned and is good to go as is Witherspoon. 

Bold prediction? Solly has his breakout game with two sacks. They go with him over Armstead in the nickel and it pays dividends to the pass rush. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Bold prediction? Solly has his breakout game with two sacks. They go with him over Armstead in the nickel and it pays dividends to the pass rush. 

That's certainly bold given how good that KC line has been. They've kept Mahomes remarkably clean, and while there aren't any true studs on that line (well, maybe Schwartz), they are all very solid. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's certainly bold given how good that KC line has been. They've kept Mahomes remarkably clean, and while there aren't any true studs on that line (well, maybe Schwartz), they are all very solid. 

Definitely, but I thought he played really well last week and that was despite minimal inside rushes. I believe that changes this week. Literally the first snap he got rushing from the inside he almost sacked Stafford. His quickness is too much for most guards. 

I think our scheme will test Mahomes patience as well. You can dink and donk all game long but you will have to have long drives to score. I mean unless we play our 4th quarter defense where the Chiefs may score 50......before halftime. 

The safeties have to play a disciplined game. This is where I hate not having Eric Reid who would be reliable in being in the right position. Colbert is the guy I really worry about. Spoon less so, though if the prior game is on the back of his mind, then he may play super conservative trying not to get beat over the top. Marcus Thompson said he seemed to take it well though and wasn't beating himself up for his putrid 4th quarter performance. 

7 hours ago, Gravity said:

I'm glad.  Makes little sense not to. 

Meh, not hard enough obviously. We could have easily matched what the Bears give them....even sweetened it a little so that's just words at this point. If they really wanted him he would be a Niner so that's just what you say to appease those who say they didn't really go hard after him.

7 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Meh, not hard enough obviously. We could have easily matched what the Bears give them....even sweetened it a little so that's just words at this point. If they really wanted him he would be a Niner so that's just what you say to appease those who say they didn't really go hard after him.

What if we did but the Raiders preferred to take the Bears offer? Saying that if you go hard you will get him just isn't how it goes. The trading team still has a say in what they will take and and equal offer on paper still has a lot of projection for what that team will do the coming years and what picks you will actually get with the trade.

Yeah I don’t think people get that it would be substantially worse for the raiders froM a business and PR standpoint to trade to the 49ers. I bet the Raiders would have taken a lesser deal with the bears just to avoid the bigger black eye.

also, I have a friend who works with the raiders. He’s in their FO, it’s widely known internally that Gruden hates the 49ers. Like, really does not like us. 

Through two weeks, the 49ers rank No. 19 in adjusted sack rate at Football Outsiders. From an individual perspective, DeForest Buckner has been the most productive of the team’s pass rushing options. Arik Armstead has a greater win rate inside (18.5 percent to 13.2 percent), but Buckner’s volume coupled with having more decisive wins results in a higher pass rush grade at Pro Football Focus.

However, in the few instances Thomas has been able to rush the passer from the interior, he has found success. Thomas has played 71 snaps on the defensive line through two weeks. Of that, 60 have been as either left or right edge rusher, and 11 have been what would qualify as the defensive interior, according to PFF. From those 11 snaps, Thomas has rushed the passer on nine. PFF gives him a win rate of 22.2 percent on those snaps.

Archived