Week 3 GDT - Titans @ Jaguars

FutureIsWhite

Honestly after winning last week, I have to think that the staff is probably leaning towards going safer around guys like Mariota, Conklin, etc and getting them to full health. This isn't a must-win at this point. Obviously would be nice to, but have to think about the long term. Let them heal up and hope the offense starts to click with everyone (minus Delanie) are back and healthy. 

That being said, this is a tough one no matter who plays. They aren't 100% either (Ramsey going on the report today is interesting, the RB's), so maybe our defense can at least keep it close. With the line still being banged up I don't think it's a great idea throwing a gimpy Marcus out there. But maybe he is able to come in on some no huddle drives and have Gabbert share the load (i.e. take the beating). 

I don't expect a win, but nobody should realistically. I do have a bit more confidence this week than last seeing the creativity and overall ability to adapt. Willing to put my faith in this staff and team and know that a loss this week isn't the end of the world. Just hoping we stay healthy or get healthy where needed.

According to a view of the snap counts I saw, we were in nickel 90+% of the time against the Texans. The run defense might not be so bad if we want to go in base and try to stop it. I can think of a couple reasons why we might have stayed in nickel so much:

1. Malcom Butler, Logan Ryan, and Adoree Jackson are among the most talented players on our defense. We can play 3 talented corners and remove a less talented ILB or interior DL.

2. After what happened last year, our game plan was to make it as hard as we could for Watson to win through the air.

3. Maybe the defensive philosophy has changed to accept that we'll occasionally give up some runs, but want the opposing QB and passing game to struggle. We know Mularkey was all about the old school run the ball/stop the run game as the key to victory.

Just imagine what would happen if Marcus doesn't play, Gabbert has a great game, and pulls out the win for us.  I wonder how many people would start calling for a QB controversy. xD I personally think Marcus is ready to go, but Vrabel has shown that he plays it on the safe side with injuries which I'm sure all the players appreciate. If he doesn't feel like Marcus is at 100% I could see him giving it another week.

9 hours ago, SerenityNow said:

Just imagine what would happen if Marcus doesn't play, Gabbert has a great game, and pulls out the win for us.  I wonder how many people would start calling for a QB controversy. xD I personally think Marcus is ready to go, but Vrabel has shown that he plays it on the safe side with injuries which I'm sure all the players appreciate. If he doesn't feel like Marcus is at 100% I could see him giving it another week.

I don't count myself amongst the Mariota haters... far from it.... but even the most hardcore Mariota haterrs (Titans fans) would never want Gabbert over Mariota... never...

... never...

11 hours ago, SerenityNow said:

Gabbert had a 13 completion 117-yard game last week. Even if he had a 300 yard 3 TD game this week, it would take a lot more than one game for anyone to start even thinking of a controversy. 

5 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I don't count myself amongst the Mariota haters... far from it.... but even the most hardcore Mariota haterrs (Titans fans) would never want Gabbert over Mariota... never...

... never...

I would hope not, but I've seen some pretty crazy takes on this board over the years especially in the gameday threads. If there was ever going to be a time for people to start throwing overreactions out there, a dominant Blaine Gabbert led victory over the Jags would probably be the time lol. I think we're all hoping Marcus starts, plays out of his mind, and silences the doubters.

Archived