2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Because it's a very "unsexy" draft.  You took two positions who are less than premium positions.  For me, that'd be a worst case scenario.

I know it’s unrealistic but what if I told you they are: Bobby Wagner 2.0 and Jimmy Graham 2.0

Is that unsexy?

Difference makers at any position are difference makers. I’m going off current projections and I agree let’s get a premium position like edge... but if the board isn’t there you either move to force it to fit your “need” or you get the best talent.

If we go White and he is Bobby Wagner for us... I don’t know if people would be mad and say that isn’t needed.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Also H-back and Move-TE are entirely different things. An H-back is a guy who can operate in the backfield as a lead blocker (and in some schemes a ball carrier) a Move-TE is the big receiver you're describing. Neither of those labels are good in line blockers. That's a "Traditional TE". And a guy who's good as an H-back, Move TE, and online blocker is called a superstar. We all want a superstar TE on a rookie contract.

Gotcha.  I've always understood them to be different than your explanation, whether right or wrong. 

Seen articles where the H-Back and Move-TE labels were more interchangeable (with H-Back being more of a dated term).  Always thought that they were the TEs who lined up anywhere.  Whether it's in the backfield, inline, set back from the LOS, flex or out wide.  Like a George Kittle or a Delanie Walker type of TE.     

Your definition of a move TE is what I'd have called a flex TE.  A guy who spends the majority of his time in the flex or out wide.  Your Jimmy Graham's of the NFL.

Your Traditional TE is what i'd have referred to as an inline TE. Your Gronk type of TE.  

7 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I don't think he is saying that the Packers go off board. Just that a lot of posters want an EDGE no matter what at 12, despite maybe passing on a BLUE chip player like (maybe) Devin White, a WR, OT something other than a pass rusher. 

I try to go off the posters board in most of my mocks.  I agree with you 100%.  Why reach for an edge player that might be #17 or lower and use your #12 pick for that?  Doesn't make sense to me either.  A lot of posters will be upset come April.

1 hour ago, jleisher said:

I try to go off the posters board in most of my mocks.  I agree with you 100%.  Why reach for an edge player that might be #17 or lower and use your #12 pick for that?  Doesn't make sense to me either.  A lot of posters will be upset come April.

If an edge player is your 17th ranked player in the entire draft and youre drafting at 12 ... and take him? Thats not a reach. 

23 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Rashan Gary doesn't deserve to be drafted within the first 15 picks.

I have major problems with Marquise Brown's size.

Gary opened up his own sports agency and he's his first client. I'd take him off my board. I don't think his commitment is to football first and foremost. Admire the kid for his entrepreneurial aspirations, but if I'm drafting a kid with a premium pick, I want him completely committed to football.  

I see bust written all over him. 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

Gary opened up his own sports agency and he's his first client. I'd take him off my board. I don't think his commitment is to football first and foremost. Admire the kid for his entrepreneurial aspirations, but if I'm drafting a kid with a premium pick, I want him completely committed to football.  

I see bust written all over him. 

I also don't like the Sports Agency thing. I think thats a sham. He is using his status to game other players. Ian Clarke, who is his partner in this soon to be failed business venture, has NEVER negotiated an NFL contract. I don't see how this ends well for Gary. But his production on the field may be spared.

20 minutes ago, Golfman said:

He's an old school run stuffer. NO thanks! 

I don't know how you evaluate him for 3rd down value. There's like seven snaps of him outside the box all season.

He'll probably test well enough to do it, but scary to make that call without seeing it.

My biggest takeaway from watching White is that Delpit needs to declare. Pretty sure he'd be my top safety if he does. Nevermind, true Sophomore. Damn. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 1