2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

38 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

A good piece on Oliver.

Good read. Thanks.
I told ya he looks like Donald :)

"In the NFL, Oliver will not be put in the same physically demanding positions he was at Houston. At Houston, he was often playing zero-tech -- a role designed for larger, squattier defensive lineman. It is safe to assume Oliver will primarily be a 3-technique in the NFL, just like the aforementioned Donald, Atkins, and McCoy. The 3-tech position is more conducive to leaner, more explosive players such as Oliver.

Because the NFL loves to make the same mistakes over and over again, Oliver will probably fall in the draft for being "too small for the position." For almost every team that passes on him, doing so will be a massive mistake. Oliver's first step and NFL-ready savvy will make him a Sheldon Richardson-type impact right away, with the potential to develop into an All-Pro. Though Oliver will certainly get pushed down in this draft class, his level of talent is worth the first overall pick"

So the question becomes.....
If he's there at 12 - do we take him? (Presuming of course that Burns has been nabbed by somebody already.....) or do we figure our DL is good to go with the FA acquisitions?

44 minutes ago, Leader said:

Good read. Thanks.
I told ya he looks like Donald :)

"In the NFL, Oliver will not be put in the same physically demanding positions he was at Houston. At Houston, he was often playing zero-tech -- a role designed for larger, squattier defensive lineman. It is safe to assume Oliver will primarily be a 3-technique in the NFL, just like the aforementioned Donald, Atkins, and McCoy. The 3-tech position is more conducive to leaner, more explosive players such as Oliver.

Because the NFL loves to make the same mistakes over and over again, Oliver will probably fall in the draft for being "too small for the position." For almost every team that passes on him, doing so will be a massive mistake. Oliver's first step and NFL-ready savvy will make him a Sheldon Richardson-type impact right away, with the potential to develop into an All-Pro. Though Oliver will certainly get pushed down in this draft class, his level of talent is worth the first overall pick"

So the question becomes.....
If he's there at 12 - do we take him? (Presuming of course that Burns has been nabbed by somebody already.....) or do we figure our DL is good to go with the FA acquisitions?

Given Oliver, Burns, Sweat: I sincerely hope we take Oliver. I don’t know that he will be there though. I think we will see a modest trade up to ensure a player though.

Wanted to get your pulse on something I had been toying in a mock I'm working on; given how aggressive the new regime is I wouldn't put it past you guys to consider... 

1. ARI - QB Murray 
  2. SF - DE Bosa
  3. NYJ trade 1(3) to GB for 1(12), 1(30) and 2020 3rd... 

GB selects: DL Quinnen Williams 

Thoughts? 

If we pass over Oliver to take an ILB or TE, y'all better hope Oliver ain't nothing like Donald.

Basically, if we go IOL/ILB/TE/WR, you all better hope they're Hall of Fame and nobody else available was otherwise you'll never hear the end of it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Wanted to get your pulse on something I had been toying in a mock I'm working on; given how aggressive the new regime is I wouldn't put it past you guys to consider... 

1. ARI - QB Murray 
  2. SF - DE Bosa

Thoughts? 

Think the entire Packer board would have a brain aneurysm born from extreme unhandelable joy if that happened.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

1. ARI - QB Murray 
  2. SF - DE Bosa

Thoughts? 

Yes, would do.

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

1. ARI - QB Murray 
  2. SF - DE Bosa

Thoughts? 

Absofreakinglutely.  Same trade if Bosa falls to 3, but of the two would prefer QW.

Edited by MaximusGluteus

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Fant is either going top 10 or he's falling out of the first round IMO.  Agreed about the WR class.  A bunch of meh receivers.  Not the year to take WRs early.

Oakland would probably draft him with one of their picks in the 20s. I dont think either Iowa TE makes it to 30.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VonKarman said:

If by any chance JJ Arcega-Whiteside slips to the 3rd-4th round I wouldn't mind picking him (gives us a different type of WR we do not have right now). Otherwise I don't want any WRs in the first four rounds. And unless Hockenson/Fant slip to 44 I don't want any TE till 75.

Just say you dont want to draft a TE at all then.

History says the chances are very low to get a decent TE outside of the first two rounds.

17 minutes ago, Burnett42 said:

History says the chances are very low to get a decent TE outside of the first two rounds.

I mean, moreso than the odds of getting a good player at any position outside the high rounds?  After all, that's sort of the nature of the draft.

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Another awful draft.  You have a DL and EDGE of similar (if not greater) value, and you pass on him for an ILB.  And you take a TE at 30 on top of that...

I bet the Packers would love if Fant fell to them at 30.

Just draft Oliver/Burns 12 and fant 30 and that would be a great first round. 

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, moreso than the odds of getting a good player at any position outside the high rounds?  After all, that's sort of the nature of the draft.

Yes. There are good players drafted outside of the early second every year and a bunch are good. TE, not so much.