2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

7 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I'm not disputing the need on defense.

My singular complaint is that everyone seems to think Sittons and Langs in the 4th grow on trees, or "there are plenty of mid-rounders that can easily step in." That is my single argument here. I've seen it enough that it has become a pet peeve. Maybe you guys will start noticing it too

Easiest way to fix this is sign a guard in FA. Sign a guard and plug him in and your starting five is instantly set. Then you have more flexibility in the draft in case the board doesn't fall that way in rounds 2 or 3 and you have to wait to use one of the 4th on a guard/tackle. We became so accustomed over the last 10 years to thinking we have to solve all of our problems and plug every hole through the draft that we forgot about thing called free agency. 

Here how i hope the rest of the offseason goes as far as personnel additions.

Free Agency: 1 Guard, 1 Safety, 2 OLB/DE (Maybe a WR is Cobb is released)

Draft: 1 Guard, 1 Tackle, 2 OLB/DE, 2 Safety, 1 TE, 1 RB, 1 WR , 1 K.

Holes at Safety, OLB/DE and Guard are filled. Hopefully the Tackle that is drafted will replace Bulaga in 1-2 years. TE and WR will have skill sets that fit into Matt's scheme and a RB just because im not sold on Aaron Jones being a bell cow back and you can never have enough bodies at RB due to injury. And id love to add a kicker but only if its Gay, if hes gone then spend that pick on another OL. 

Thats a TON of fresh blood, a good mix of vets and youth. 

Edited by gopackgo247

31 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It's a moot argument.  Nobody here, not even me, nobody -NOBODY- has argued against improving the interior of the line.  The only argument that has been made has been against using a first round pick.

I have suggested the following:

1. Bulaga moving inside.

2. Drafting a RT to play guard his first year and move to tackle next year in the first round.

3. Signing Spain from the Titans.

4. Signing Glowinski.

5. Signing a free agent guard.  

6. Using a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a guard. 

7. Hope Madison plays and plays well.

Literally nobody has suggested we can get by on 4th-undrafted guards.  I have USED 4th-undrafted guards as evidence that you can get good players out of those investments, but I have NEVER suggested that is the only way, and I have NEVER stated that we shouldn't upgrade at guard this offseason.  I have merely and solely stated that we should not do it with a first round pick.

Literally no other position except for maybe receiver has as many viable and good ways to improve outside of the first round than at IOL.

Literally nobody ?? The post I responded to literally said it, and enough other people have literally said it that it has become a personal pet peeve of mine. If it makes you feel better, I can email you every time it literally comes up since you miss it so easily

Edited by cannondale

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Let's see what happens at the combine. 

The Pettine hire helps us discuss the defensive side of the draft a lot better IMHO. Everyone is so up in arms about the OL when there are plenty of mid-rounders that can easily step in and fill the needs at RG in particular. Our issues along the OL were due to depth behind the depth we had given that the OL as a unit was the walking wounded. I think our needs along the DL are far greater than that of the OL. Look at it this way: we have an older Mike Daniels coming off injury, Kenny Clark, a decent rotational guy in Dean Lowry, a hit-or-miss guy in Adams, and quite frankly some JAGS behind them. Add a Clelin Ferrell/Raekwon Davis/Christian Wilkins in that mix and the group makes a big step in the right direction.

I'm not arguing with you. I'm just saying what I've heard. He's a round 4-6 prospect that has some good traits and limitations, and who  probably shouldn't get a chance to start until he develops more. This is pretty much the story of every OL drafted outside of round 2.

1 minute ago, FinneasGage said:

only guy that's returned that I'm kinda disappointed in them not being in this class. i thought raekwon is pretty overrated, but those two are the big shockers. 

Players have until Jan. 14 to decide so we could see a few others. I'm a Mack Wilson fan, but I think he's going to stay at Bama too. 

6 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Literally nobody ?? The post I responded to literally said it, and enough other people have literally said it that it has become a personal pet peeve of mine. If it makes you feel better, I can email you every time it literally comes up since you miss it so easily

I figured I was the only one who didn't like guards.  We probably need more than a 4th round pick this year.  Free agent though.

15 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Apparently Irv Smith is on the fence as well. TE class might take a few more hits yet.

If all three return this class sucks. If only one declares they will get overdrafted.

If Irv announces he's staying, or Hock, the other would be smart to declare

Scouting Report: Jared Pinkney

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Vanderbilt Position: Tight End Class: Junior Height: 6-5 Weight: 255 Projected Draft Round: 2-5

Scouting Report:

Big bodied tight end that is a true combination of pass catcher and blocker. Excels at exploding out of cuts extremely well for a player his size and has an excellent knack for getting open. Runs crisp, well executed routes. Catches the ball away from his body well, and can post up defenders when coming back to the ball.  OMG!!!  I think I figured it out.

Edited by jleisher
add

1 hour ago, gopackgo247 said:

RB just because im not sold on Aaron Jones being a bell cow back and you can never have enough bodies at RB due to injury.

I think his performances down the stretch prolly saw his draft stock soar and a good combine might push him top 3 RBs, but I want Josh Jacobs so much.  

giphy.gif

Loves contact as a runner:

Bama_knocks_out_Barnes.gif

Excellent receiver out of the backfield

giphy.gif

Plus he can break defenders ankles with his shiftiness and he has some serious wheels. 

Edited by thrILL!