2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I would assume that the A's have ran this by MLB before they even made an offer.

MLB has already come out and basically given OAK the green light to do whatever is necessary to keep him in baseball.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Jacksonville, Giants and Bengals could all look at this draft for their next QB....

This QB class appears weak right now...but surely QB's will rise on the board as they typically do.

Could that setup for a slight trade up for GB to take their EDGE while any of those teams could trade down for their QB?

Or...could any of those teams really covet GB's second first round pick and wish to move up from the second for it, while trying to acquire their next QB?

Love the position GB is in.  Gonna be a fun draft season.

No.  Jacksonville and New York are competing over Dwayne Haskins, but if you're not really interested in taking the second QB at 6/7, it's probably not any better at 12.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

No.  Jacksonville and New York are competing over Dwayne Haskins, but if you're not really interested in taking the second QB at 6/7, it's probably not any better at 12.

But...if you want one, our first pick does get you ahead of the Redskins, right?

And if not at #12 (for a QB), how about our second first round pick?

4 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

MLB has already come out and basically given OAK the green light to do whatever is necessary to keep him in baseball.

why would anyone want to play baseball when they could play football though?

I mean aside from being able to remember your parents' names at age 37

Just now, vegas492 said:

But...if you want one, our first pick does get you ahead of the Redskins, right?

The Redskins, if they're smart, will just tank for the next two years and not even bother starting the QB contract clock. They won't be a real team until about 2022. http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/the-nfls-need-for-middle-class-quarterback-contrac

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

My point was that if you're comfortable taking a QB at 12, then you'd be comfortable taking one at 6/7 if you missed out on Haskins.  Which QB are you going to take there?  Kyler Murray?  Drew Lock?  If you're not comfortable taking a QB at 6/7, 12 really isn't all that much better.

3 hours ago, gopackgo247 said:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019.php

i actually love this draft.

Walter has us taking:

1.12: Clelin Ferrell (DE/OLB Clemson)

1.32: Jonathon Abram (Safety, Miss St) This pick was originally Parris Campbell but he changed it to Abram. Id actually be okay taking Parris with this pick. Dudes dynamic. 

2.44: Jerry Tillery (NT/DE Notre Dame.) Hell yes!

3.75: Chase Winovich (DE/OLB Michigan) Dont know much about him but another body on the edge is always good.

4.107: Logan Parker (TE Southern Utah) I suppose im okay with this. i think there will be better TE's available at this spot but TE is a need so i like that. 

4.111: David Long (LB WVU) another body on defense.

Thats 4 picks to fix the front 7. i love it. as long as a free agent S is added i think this is a great draft. My only gripe would be that theres no lineman taken with those first 6 picks. 

Quality players for sure. I doubt though with a new offensive HC and deficiencies at OL, WR/TE we wait until round 4 to improve the O (unless we bring in help in FA).

3 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Quality players for sure. I doubt though with a new offensive HC and deficiencies at OL, WR/TE we wait until round 4 to improve the O (unless we bring in help in FA).

Would be a mistake to expect the new coach to function with a less talented offense than the one they gave McCarthy last season.  I don't think he's going to have a very long leash so he needs to hit the ground running.  I'd hate for him to be set up for failure by not giving him the tools he needs to win football games.  He's a HC not a magician.  

They need to be balanced in both the draft and in Free Agency when it comes to improving this team.  There needs to be upgrades on offense, defense and ST using both avenues.  the days of this team completely ignoring the offense with the premiere draft positions needs to be over because it's clearly caught up to the offense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SSG said:

Would be a mistake to expect the new coach to function with a less talented offense than the one they gave McCarthy last season.  I don't think he's going to have a very long leash so he needs to hit the ground running.  I'd hate for him to be set up for failure by not giving him the tools he needs to win football games.  He's a HC not a magician.  

They need to be balanced in both the draft and in Free Agency when it comes to improving this team.  There needs to be upgrades on offense, defense and ST using both avenues.  the days of this team completely ignoring the offense with the premiere draft positions needs to be over because it's clearly caught up to the offense. 

I've been gently expressing the same thought....but its not well received so I mumble it to myself most days now :)