2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I’m not sure but if he goes anywhere before our pick (s) it will push down another player so I like it

Tru dat - but is he really worth a pick that high? The dude's 5'9" tall (!) or small(!) to be more precise.

Just now, Leader said:

I've been gently expressing the same thought....but its not well received so I mumble it to myself most days now :)

Which I don't understand.  We've got the oldest group of TEs in the NFL and one of the greenest groups of WRs.    

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

I’m not sure but if he goes anywhere before our pick (s) it will push down another player so I like it

Better question for me is how high does he need to go to convince him to choose football over baseball? My understanding is he can back out of football, keep his $5M signing bonus with the A's, and play baseball (they control his rights even if he chooses to play football). I'm guessing he won't play football if teams tell him he's a mid-round pick, and teams won't draft him in the 1st unless he assures them he's committed to playing football. It will be fascinating to watch unfold.

4 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Hock is one of my guys. I want him. Would love to navigate somewhere between 44 and 76 whether that be moving down from 44 or up from 76. I think late 2/early 3 is a good spot for him right now

4 hours ago, Golfman said:

Can we get him at 44? Even better would be 76? 

😍

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Better question for me is how high does he need to go to convince him to choose football over baseball? My understanding is he can back out of football, keep his $5M signing bonus with the A's, and play baseball (they control his rights even if he chooses to play football). I'm guessing he won't play football if teams tell him he's a mid-round pick, and teams won't draft him in the 1st unless he assures them he's committed to playing football. It will be fascinating to watch unfold.

If he goes in the first round, which he will, he's playing football.

10 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

But I believe he said football was his first love...................
Hmmmm.....

12 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I’m sure he’s already gotten that information from the advisory committee before he made the decision to enter the draft.

24 minutes ago, SSG said:

Would be a mistake to expect the new coach to function with a less talented offense than the one they gave McCarthy last season.  I don't think he's going to have a very long leash so he needs to hit the ground running.  I'd hate for him to be set up for failure by not giving him the tools he needs to win football games.  He's a HC not a magician.  

They need to be balanced in both the draft and in Free Agency when it comes to improving this team.  There needs to be upgrades on offense, defense and ST using both avenues.  the days of this team completely ignoring the offense with the premiere draft positions needs to be over because it's clearly caught up to the offense. 

Couldn't agree more.

We have an average O with a below average D. This isn't the 2014 packers with a quality OL and WRs in their prime. We need talent on both sides.

I also wonder too, if so much of our failure on the D side was going too young the last few years where our perceived deficiencies were? We've seen Hyde, Hayward, and Randall have success elsewhere. The answer to helping the team shouldn't have been a late first round pick, but an infusion of veteran talent. (Not excusing Capers, and TT and the organization for buying in too much on the rushers they drafted in Perry/Matthews)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Still want to see what he runs at the combine. From a few clips I've seen - he's not the smoothest of runners. Kind of a rumblin bumblin stumblin type guy if that makes any sense. 

Probably not as fast as Kittle but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in the high 4.6's or low 4.7s.  Reality is, I'm not sure I care how fast his 40 in gym shorts is.  I want the type of TE that we envisioned we were getting when we signed Marty Bennett.  

4 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

walter football died 7 years ago & vanished from this board. something happened and now i see it at least 10 times a day on this site. 

Yea, Walterfootball is pretty terrible and I assumed that was well known by now; not to mention it might be the worst functioning website of all time. I get that there aren't a lot of great mock draft sites and Walterfootball does weekly updates with multiple rounds plus positional rankings but man, there are just some terrible takes and picks.

It is a conversation starter I guess and to be fair, I'd be happy with the first three picks he has selected for the Packers.

Edited by Victor1124

34 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

He's pretty damn close 

I disagree.

Player A: 15 GP, 71 tackles, 19.5 TFL, 8 sacks
Player B: 15 GP, 69 tackles, 16 TFL, 10.5 sacks
Player C: 11 GP, 33 tackles, 11 TFL, 4.5 sacks
Player B: 14 GP, 85 tackles, 20.5 TFL, 12 sacks

Player A is Quinnen Williams, Player B is Jonathan Allen, Player C is Marcel; Dareus, and Player D is Ndamukong Suh.  He's good, but he's not Suh good.  Suh was Nebraska's defense.  Williams wasn't.  Ndamukong Suh came in 4th in Heisman voting despite not being a CB or a DE.  Williams came in 8th.  He's good, but he's not Suh good.

1 hour ago, Lodestar said:

As the 32nd pick last year, Lamar Jackson got nearly $9.5M from the Ravens.    That's more than double what Kyler Murray got from the Athletics.  Lamar Jackson's signing bonus alone was bigger than Kyler Murray's.  Realistically speaking, you're talking about 3 years in the minors, plus another 3ish years before you hit arbitration and it's 6 years before Kyler Murray starts seeing money.  At the very least, Kyler starts seeing money after Year 5 IF his 5th year option gets picked up.  If he's a Day 1 pick, he's gone.  It gets trickier when you get into Day 2.

• Like 1