2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

Three first round picks definitely sounds good.

I'm just not excited about pass rushers anymore after watching Pettine's defense last year.  I feel like defensive backs and DL are more important to him.  

Loaded DL class this year.  A good one will be available later.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Three first round picks definitely sounds good.

I'm just not excited about pass rushers anymore after watching Pettine's defense last year.  I feel like defensive backs and DL are more important to him.  

Loaded DL class this year.  A good one will be available later.  

Part of this is also probably because GB's EDGE position was absolutely atrocious.

12 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Part of this is also probably because GB's EDGE position was absolutely atrocious.

Granted, and I hope that's the case, but I'm just meh on pass rushers right now and I'd probably be more excited about Greedy Williams at 12th overall.  Pettine killed EDGE for me in 2018.  

34 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Granted, and I hope that's the case, but I'm just meh on pass rushers right now and I'd probably be more excited about Greedy Williams at 12th overall.  Pettine killed EDGE for me in 2018.  

I like the idea of getting a pass rushing iDL just as much if not more that an edge guy high in the draft, but man would it be nice to have a guy that can win on the edge. Perry could be that guy if here and if healthy, but who knows. Beyound him we have zippy. No disrespect to sackrell.  Edge wasnt a glorious positin for us last year but it needs to be if we want our d to be good again.

56 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I just don't understand why you should think a defense that was bad is some rule you should follow for EDGE guys.

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I THINK my mindset is fairly similar, though I'm not looking at Greedy Williams at #12. There have been too many CBs in recent years, imo.

My current thinking is to improve pressure by improving the D line. I'm currently obsessing over penetrating  3tech  type DTs, Jeffery Simmons, Christian Wilkins, or, if we are really lucky, Ed Oliver (failing all of them, Jerry Tillery at #30). All are DTs with bust the pocket capability. Coupled with M.Daniels and K.Clark they could be a real headache to opponents. I AM looking at edge guys, but mainly (at #44) at Texas DL Charles Omenihu (6'5", 275), who has played all along the line from DT to a wide 9 position (hopefully, a better Nick Perry). My fallback there would be Chase Winovich.   Omenihu + (eg) Oliver + Clark + Daniels looks like it could give us lots of pressure. there are several edge guys in this region, but he is my favourite

Currently, I'm looking at DT, OT, edge, with the first three picks, then free safety, which might require a move up from our third round pick, for Chauncey Gardner-Johnson or (if very lucky) Juan Thornhill. Bleacher Report big board currently lists these two guys at #63 and #60, Drafttek at #112 and #38, but others (like the Draft Network's several guys) have them going earlier, so this might be a pipe dream at #75. Failing this, my fallback is Fresno State's Mike Bell, with a later pick

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I THINK my mindset is fairly similar, though I'm not looking at Greedy Williams at #12. There have been too many CBs in recent years, imo.

My current thinking is to improve pressure by improving the D line. I'm currently obsessing over penetrating  3tech  type DTs, Jeffery Simmons, Christian Wilkins, or, if we are really lucky, Ed Oliver (failing all of them, Jerry Tillery at #30). All are DTs with bust the pocket capability. Coupled with M.Daniels and K.Clark they could be a real headache to opponents. I AM looking at edge guys, but mainly (at #44) at Texas DL Charles Omenihu (6'5", 275), who has played all along the line from DT to a wide 9 position (hopefully, a better Nick Perry). My fallback there would be Chase Winovich.   Omenihu + (eg) Oliver + Clark + Daniels looks like it could give us lots of pressure. there are several edge guys in this region, but he is my favourite

Currently, I'm looking at DT, OT, edge, with the first three picks, then free safety, which might require a move up from our third round pick, for Chauncey Gardner-Johnson or (if very lucky) Juan Thornhill. Bleacher Report big board currently lists these two guys at #63 and #60, Drafttek at #112 and #38, but others (like the Draft Network's several guys) have them going earlier, so this might be a pipe dream at #75. Failing this, my fallback is Fresno State's Mike Bell, with a later pick

Simmons would be ideal at 12.  Wilkins I would be ok with, but I am leery of the talent that was around him propping him up in college.

Someone help me with #7 Oshane Ximines.  

Todd McShay had us taking him at #30!!! in his most recent mock draft, so I was curious what I would see.

I'm completely underwhelmed.  Either RT #71 and TE #15 are NFL caliber players, or there is way too much hype about a guy who just doesn't possess any dominant traits to even be mentioned in the top 100.

He simply lets the RT and TE get their hands on him waaay too easily.  He was blocked out of Way too many plays here.  He doesn't have elite burst, bend, or size.  Players like that need to win with their hands - and he doesn't nearly often enough.

#71 looks to be a decent player here.  He has great length and sinks his butt.  He came out for a play, and #7 cleanly beat a backup RT for a sack, but that was about it.  I'm not inspired by a sack vs. a backup tackle in conference USA.

He was also repeatedly blocked by TE #15.  Again, letting the TE get inside with his hands and he's watching the play from behind.  

Edited by Cheech

Bosa, Allen, Burns, Polite, Ferrell, Sweat

I get why draft gurus get excited about the first wave of edge rushers.  After these guys I see a huge drop-off in EDGE talent.

Allen, Nelson, and Ferguson are all enticing 2nd or 3rd round prospects, but none of those guys really fit Pettine's defense.  

Sutton smith is exciting to watch, but can he play in space?  He might fit at SAM in a 4-3 under, but hes awfully short at 6'1".

13 hours ago, rcon14 said:

I'd say "most" of it was. Yet, Pettine still got 10 sacks out of an average player like Fackrell. Imagine if you give him a few "real" EDGE players. 

3 hours ago, Cheech said:

Allen, Nelson, and Ferguson are all enticing 2nd or 3rd round prospects, but none of those guys really fit Pettine's defense.  

They dont? When given the resources he employs a 5-1/3-3 very often. If you play on the DL there's snaps to be had. Lowry had plenty of reps at edge to the point it wasnt "exotic" for him. This is the D for the larger tweeners of the like, going back to the browns throwing the bag at Kruger in CLE. Routinely uses a 5 with an over. Lorenzo Alexander blowing up in Buff.

If you can hold a gap and get after the QB at all this is the DL for you. It opens up the prospect list to the max. If you have talent Pettine should be able to find you a home. I personally wouldn't cross any prospects off because of scheme fit up front, unless they just simply can't hold a gap.

Edited by HighCalebR

15 hours ago, rcon14 said:

Part of probably makes sense because if you had a great pass rusher they'd be making plays when they do get the one on ones. 

BUT even when Pettine was with the Jets they didnt have great outside passrushers. They had a dominant DL. Again whether that was the goal or not IDK. Pettine has come out and said he highly values the inside rush. I wouldnt mind spending and ealry pick on DL. Pettine likes to scheme his pass rush instead of 1v1 beat your main. 

35 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

They dont? When given the resources he employs a 5-1/3-3 very often. If you play on the DL there's snaps to be had. Lowry had plenty of reps at edge to the point it wasnt "exotic" for him. This is the D for the larger tweeners of the like, going back to the browns throwing the bag at Kruger in CLE. Routinely uses a 5 with an over. Lorenzo Alexander blowing up in Buff.

If you can hold a gap and get after the QB at all this is the DL for you. It opens up the prospect list to the max. If you have talent Pettine should be able to find you a home. I personally wouldn't cross any prospects off because of scheme fit up front, unless they just simply can't hold a gap.

Oh I don't doubt that Pettine could find a home for them at all.  But if we're looking to find talent at OLB rather than 5T I think it has to be one of those 6 guys to really find an every down player who can do everything Pettine wants an outside backer to do in his defense.