2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 hour ago, Cheech said:

Oh I don't doubt that Pettine could find a home for them at all.  But if we're looking to find talent at OLB rather than 5T I think it has to be one of those 6 guys to really find an every down player who can do everything Pettine wants an outside backer to do in his defense.

But he also employs a more traditional 4-3 end look quite often. His defenses are flexible up front that's the beauty of his system. If Allen is a good enough player I dont see an issue of getting him on field all 3 downs with his build. Jaylon Ferguson 100% has a 3 down home with Pettine. Josh Allen can be out there for all 3.. all very different players who can take reps at EDGE here. If he needs a more athletic guy at edge for a play he could slide a Jake Ryan type out there. It's all about flexibility with Pettine.

On 2/9/2019 at 9:32 AM, Cheech said:

Someone help me with #7 Oshane Ximines.  

Todd McShay had us taking him at #30!!! in his most recent mock draft, so I was curious what I would see.

I'm completely underwhelmed.  Either RT #71 and TE #15 are NFL caliber players, or there is way too much hype about a guy who just doesn't possess any dominant traits to even be mentioned in the top 100.

He simply lets the RT and TE get their hands on him waaay too easily.  He was blocked out of Way too many plays here.  He doesn't have elite burst, bend, or size.  Players like that need to win with their hands - and he doesn't nearly often enough.

#71 looks to be a decent player here.  He has great length and sinks his butt.  He came out for a play, and #7 cleanly beat a backup RT for a sack, but that was about it.  I'm not inspired by a sack vs. a backup tackle in conference USA.

He was also repeatedly blocked by TE #15.  Again, letting the TE get inside with his hands and he's watching the play from behind.  

I don't see if with Ximines on tape either. He doesn't look like a great athlete either. Very stiff. Right now I have him as a day 3 guy.

21 hours ago, deathstar said:

Here’s my ideal first five picks so far:

1A. Jawaan Taylor

1B. Jerry Tillery

2. Jaylon Ferguson

3. Riley Ridley

4A. Devine Ozigbo

Not a fan of the first 3 picks where they are. 

Taylor is about a year away from playing.

Till might be worth 30. Not my first choice though.

Ferguson I get Arden Key vibes from. Big project. No counters, little stiff. Nice measurables. He’s a third rounder.

21 minutes ago, Joe said:

Marcus Davenport Pt. II...

Davenport did show some good speed-to-power numbers but yeah, he's a pretty stiff rusher. I think Ximines looks like a bargain bin Davenport. We'll see, maybe he'll have a good combine and I'll have to re-evaluate.

4 hours ago, rcon14 said:

Higher on Taylor than Williams or Ford?

Williams is good, almost like Bulaga when he came out - seems like the biggest concern with him is arm length. I just think Taylor is the more prototypical tackle with more experience on the right side. Ford has great size and feet but I think Taylor is more consistent.

I also factored in both Williams and Ford going in the top 11.

4 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

Not a fan of the first 3 picks where they are. 

Taylor is about a year away from playing.

Till might be worth 30. Not my first choice though.

Ferguson I get Arden Key vibes from. Big project. No counters, little stiff. Nice measurables. He’s a third rounder.

What makes you say that about Taylor? In my mind he comes in and plays guard for a year.

Ferguson seems like a Pettine OLB and reminds me of KC’s OLBs. He’s got all of the tools but bend, in my opinion, which will push him down but he’s an NFL starter.