2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

24 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:
29 minutes ago, Norm said:

REPORT: This is made up

totally.

I'd trade our 2nd for Rosen probably. Him and Rodgers seem to have a good relationship, I think it would be a good spot for him. Plus I loved him last year

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 1

Josh Rosen is out of the league in three years or having a Blaine Gabbert career.  He is NOT an Alex Smith type bad first year for a bad offense who gets better with a second head coach. 

He was awful.  Probably the least-promising rookie season from a top 10 pick in a good while. 

In my opinion, the two best tests for a rookie QB in their rookie season are completion percentage and yards per attempt.

Rosen's completion percentage was 55, and his yards per attempt were an embarrassing 5.8 yards per attempt. 

He doesn't have it.  If I was the Cardinals, I'd accept any top 20 first round pick for him.  They probably know more about him than I do, and they're probably not thrilled with him either. 

Between the top 4 quarterbacks from last draft,

Mayfield
Darnold
Allen
Jackson

Rosen

Seriously, just look at Lamar Jackson, who everyone says can't pass.  He played CONSIDERABLY better opponents and had a completion percentage of 58 and 7.1 yards per attempt. 

Then there's the rumors that literally nobody likes him.  Those kinds of rumors don't sprout up out of nowhere.  You look at him and you listen to him talk and you can tell he's socially stupid. 

Rosen has Aaron's attitude and ego without the talent. 

And it's not the offensive coordinator, either.  There was one constant in Arizona last year, and that was Rosen. 

Watching Rosen in that game we played them was just embarrassing.  He was BAD, and yet our defense was WORSE.  Remember that was the game where that safety (forget his name) had the pass thrown DIRECTLY to him, and he dropped it.  Remember watching that game and wondering how our defense could be that bad?  Rosen threw 11/26 for 149 yards. 

11/26 for 149 yards.  You get even a Ryan Tannehill performance like that and it's considered a win for your defense. 

Josh Rosen is bad.  I would not be remotely surprised if the Cardinals did, in fact, trade him.  At the very least, I won't be surprised if the Cardinals take a QB and then trade Rosen during the season if their rookie QB outperforms him. 

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Josh Rosen is out of the league in three years or having a Blaine Gabbert career.  He is NOT an Alex Smith type bad first year for a bad offense who gets better with a second head coach. 

He was awful.  Probably the least-promising rookie season from a top 10 pick in a good while. 

In my opinion, the two best tests for a rookie QB in their rookie season are completion percentage and yards per attempt.

Rosen's completion percentage was 55, and his yards per attempt were an embarrassing 5.8 yards per attempt. 

He doesn't have it.  If I was the Cardinals, I'd accept any top 20 first round pick for him.  They probably know more about him than I do, and they're probably not thrilled with him either. 

Between the top 4 quarterbacks from last draft,

Mayfield
Darnold
Allen
Jackson

Rosen

Seriously, just look at Lamar Jackson, who everyone says can't pass.  He played CONSIDERABLY better opponents and had a completion percentage of 58 and 7.1 yards per attempt. 

Then there's the rumors that literally nobody likes him.  Those kinds of rumors don't sprout up out of nowhere.  You look at him and you listen to him talk and you can tell he's socially stupid. 

Rosen has Aaron's attitude and ego without the talent. 

And it's not the offensive coordinator, either.  There was one constant in Arizona last year, and that was Rosen. 

Watching Rosen in that game we played them was just embarrassing.  He was BAD, and yet our defense was WORSE.  Remember that was the game where that safety (forget his name) had the pass thrown DIRECTLY to him, and he dropped it.  Remember watching that game and wondering how our defense could be that bad?  Rosen threw 11/26 for 149 yards. 

11/26 for 149 yards.  You get even a Ryan Tannehill performance like that and it's considered a win for your defense. 

Josh Rosen is bad.  I would not be remotely surprised if the Cardinals did, in fact, trade him.  At the very least, I won't be surprised if the Cardinals take a QB and then trade Rosen during the season if their rookie QB outperforms him. 

Fwiw, pretty compelling argument here that rookie QB seasons are largely meaningless: http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/the-rookie-quarterbacks-are-struggling-and-that-s-

• Like 1

from the link above:

"Quarterbacks like Matthew Stafford, Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman, John Elway, Donovan McNabb and Peyton Manning all overcame awful rookie seasons. Don't be surprised when rookie quarterbacks struggle in 2018 or moving forward. It's not the end of the world.
It's hard to play quarterback in the NFL"

Goff went from potential bust to the SB with a year of seasoning and good coaching.
I wouldn't bet on Rosen, but its probably a wee bit early to bury him. Rookie QBs are picked at the top of the draft because their team sucks enough to be choosing at the top of the draft. If you look at the list above - all of em were drafted 1st or 2nd overall, just like Rosen

• Like 1

Just now, rcon14 said:

Fwiw, pretty compelling argument here that rookie QB seasons are largely meaningless: http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/the-rookie-quarterbacks-are-struggling-and-that-s-

They're not meaningless though.  Each rookie QB who went on to have success has shown SOMETHING in their rookie year.  Rosen showed nothing.  There will be some outlier that shows they can have success. 

His "best game..."

88.5 rating, 1 TD, 6.7 yards per attempt against Seattle.  He completed under 58% of his passes.  30 yards came on a screen. 

Jared Goff had a good game his rookie season against the Saints.  He's also a bad QB disguised by a great scheme.  Anybody who watched that Super Bowl and thinks he's a good QB is kidding themselves. 

McNabb's rookie season?  Had a great game with a 99 passer rating.  That was in 1999.  Imagine if Rosen had his rookie season in 1999.  He might not have come out alive. 

Carzon  Wentz?  His first game he completed 60% of his passes for 7.5 yards per attempt.  That's a good first game. 

Rosen's ceiling is Alex Smith.  He's a bad QB, and not a franchise QB.  I have never seen a rookie QB look as lost as Rosen, and this is 2018 when the rules are the easiest for a QB they have ever been. 

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

They're not meaningless though.  Each rookie QB who went on to have success has shown SOMETHING in their rookie year.  Rosen showed nothing.  There will be some outlier that shows they can have success. 

His "best game..."

88.5 rating, 1 TD, 6.7 yards per attempt against Seattle.  He completed under 58% of his passes.  30 yards came on a screen. 

Jared Goff had a good game his rookie season against the Saints.  He's also a bad QB disguised by a great scheme.  Anybody who watched that Super Bowl and thinks he's a good QB is kidding themselves. 

McNabb's rookie season?  Had a great game with a 99 passer rating.  That was in 1999.  Imagine if Rosen had his rookie season in 1999.  He might not have come out alive. 

Carzon  Wentz?  His first game he completed 60% of his passes for 7.5 yards per attempt.  That's a good first game. 

Rosen's ceiling is Alex Smith.  He's a bad QB, and not a franchise QB.  I have never seen a rookie QB look as lost as Rosen, and this is 2018 when the rules are the easiest for a QB they have ever been. 

This is just so premature. I'm not saying you're wrong, but the conviction after 1 year on a horrible team is a little... much

Edited by JBURGE

Just now, JBURGE said:

This is just so premature. I'm not saying you're wrong, but the conviction after 1 year on a horrible team is a little... much

I have a pulse on QB outlooks after their rookie years.  I haven't been wrong yet.  It's an art, not a science.  It's inborn, innate, indescribable.  I am the QB Knower. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I haven't been wrong yet. 

Outpost, you rock
Can you kindly post the audited data to verify the veracity of your assertion ?
I come from the "Trust, but verify" school of internet omniscience

Remember: Even Artist's have showings in a gallery, they don't just tell people how awesome their paintings are  :D

• Like 2