2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

I play around with Fanspeak just to learn the prospect’s names and determine the relative range that one might expect to see players drafted. Using our own picks last night’s excursion into pre-draft timewasting yielded...

Ferrell

Hockenson

Adderly

D Edwards OT Wisconsin

Anderson  DL Iowa

Chuma Edoga OT USC

Cameron Smith LB USC

Etc.

Edited by blueswedeshoes

5 hours ago, VegasDan said:

Not sure about Rosen, but I saw part of the NFL training camp show when Goff was a rookie. Coach wanted to prove a point about consistency and asked Goff where the sun rose. He didnt have a clue. When told it rose in the east he acted like it was a revelation.

They showed him sharing his new found information with his teammates who some looked at him wondering if he was an idiot.

Anyway, you can sound pretty stupid and still play QB apparently.

Wow........ goes to show how much actual schoolwork is included with some of these college athletic scholarships. It's even in a chili peppers song. I can't even believe anyone over the age of twenty, IN THE ENTIRE WORLD, isn't aware of this.

53 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Hunter Henry just played a playoff game 7.5 months after tearing his ACL. It's not inconceivable Simmons could return midseason.

He could come back, but he'd be mostly useless. Henry at least made it through 2 training camps and 2 NFL seasons- 29 games before he got injured
Look at how far back Biegel and Adams were after missing their initial TC.
Once the season starts, coaches are tied up in prepping for next game and DL take time to learn the nuances of the NFL

It doesn't change the fact that Simmons would still be a great pick up and he could learn the defense, become assimilated onto the team and start becoming a Pro
But his on field contribution would be delayed until 2020 based on history

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Neither Jaylon Smith nor Sidney Jones made it to 44, why do we assume Simmons who is both a top 10 player and a premium position (something that couldn't be said of Smith or Jones) will?

Not saying he is but that's where I'd be willing to take him. Enough with the premium position crap. You need premium players. By the way, Sidney Jones plays CB which I thought was on the 'premium' position list and he went 43, not 44 LOL! 

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Having a player play well as a rookie starter is a bonus. You don't draft them for their rookie year, you draft them for a career. That even applies to first round picks.

So then we are not only paying the rookie to sit out a year with an injury, we are paying him for a most likely non productive second year as well which would be his "actual" rookie season. You just made my argument stronger

26 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Not saying he is but that's where I'd be willing to take him. Enough with the premium position crap. You need premium players. By the way, Sidney Jones plays CB which I thought was on the 'premium' position list and he went 43, not 44 LOL! 

Yeah but Jones was probably somewhere from the 15-25th best player. Simmons is both a top 10 guy and a premium position. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Simmons is both a top 10 guy and a premium position. 

Indeed. And the 30th pick in the draft had about a $ 1.8 Million cap hit in 2018.
That's an insignificant amount of money to invest in getting a top talent, so late in the draft. (And because he's a 1st rounder, you get the 5th year option)

It represents a tremendous value.
Both Sapp and Moss dropped down because of weed issues, allowing the bucs and vikes to score a top talent later in the draft.
Others have dropped for injury as noted by PR.
This is a golden opportunity for GB because they have (2) first rounders in 2019.
Spending # 30 on Simmons still leaves the Packers with a full suite of draft picks to work with and a Top 10 jar on the shelf.
And while his on-field contribution in 2019 will be negligible, he would still be making progress in every other facet of his transition to the NFL

You don't win in the NFL by paying players what they are worth, you win by paying them less than they are worth
Perhaps the draft day corollary is that you don't win by drafting players who play up to their selection slot, you win by drafting players who outplay their draft slot.  With Simmons, you've got a real chance for that to happen. There's risk too, but the reward is commensurate

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Can anybody remember the last time the GBPs drafted top talent that had guaranteed down time his rookie season - if not miss it entirely? 

There was that guy from California that didn't play for two years.  Good thing we drafted Brian Brohm or we could have been in real trouble.

IIRC, Derrick Sherrod was supposed to develop for a season behind Clifton.  Davante Adams, Jason Spriggs, and Josh Jones are all 2nd round picks that weren't going to see major playing time as rookies, if all went to plan.  One could argue that Jones would have played more had he played better.

14 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Hunter Henry just played a playoff game 7.5 months after tearing his ACL. It's not inconceivable Simmons could return midseason.

LAC medical staff is legendary for their ACL rehabs. I wouldn't count on anything from Simmons this year.