2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

8 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Outpost literally stated he'd rather not have a first round DP than take a WR  ( Randy Moss) where he went in 1998. I'd say that's a bit off the reservation.

No one said anything against moving down, including me. But it takes two to tango on a trade.

I don't have a dog in this fight....

But let me ask you this...you seem high on Metcalf at WR...and rightly so.

Does the broken neck scare you off...despite the size/speed/production?

Like would you draft Randy Moss if he missed part of his last collegiate season due to a broken neck?  That seems like a very risky proposition to me.

And...how do you like Mack Wilson at MLB?  Let's say you get to choose.  White at #12 or Mack Wilson at #44?  No agenda here, just wanting your opinion.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I don't have a dog in this fight....

But let me ask you this...you seem high on Metcalf at WR...and rightly so.

Does the broken neck scare you off...despite the size/speed/production?

Like would you draft Randy Moss if he missed part of his last collegiate season due to a broken neck?  That seems like a very risky proposition to me.

And...how do you like Mack Wilson at MLB?  Let's say you get to choose.  White at #12 or Mack Wilson at #44?  No agenda here, just wanting your opinion.

I don't want any 2019 WR at #12, I want a pass rusher and would take a similarly graded O-line over WR any day. All I said is that if the board was terrible for GB and trading back wasn't valuable, I'd take Metcalf if he was Gutey's top graded player over a less player at another "more valuable" position. I don't know about this neck, that's what team doctors are for. If the injury is a concern for your doc, you take him off your board.

Same thing for ILB. Don't want one early, but if there was a generational talent ( not saying that's White or anything else in this draft). I'd take him if he was BPA and no other similarly graded premium position players were there.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I don't want any 2019 WR at #12, I want a pass rusher and would take a similarly graded O-line over WR any day. All I said is that if the board was terrible for GB and trading back wasn't valuable, I'd take Metcalf if he was Gutey's top graded player over a less player at another "more valuable" position. I don't know about this neck, that's what team doctors are for. If the injury is a concern for your doc, you take him off your board.

Same thing for ILB. Don't want one early, but if there was a generational talent ( not saying that's White or anything else in this draft). I'd take him if he was BPA and no other similarly graded premium position players were there.

If there's a generational talent he won't be on the board at #12 regardless of what draft it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

Moss went 21, ODB #12, Rodgers 24, etc. Won't be this year, but it happens.

None of which were considered Generational talents in their perspective draft classes. Just because they became one it doesn't mean they were viewed as one on draft day.

17 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Thanks for the reply.  Go watch a little Mack Wilson film.  I think you'll like him.  I really do.  Great instincts, feet are rarely wrong, can drop and cover.  Is a sideline to sideline player. He isn't in the same league as White is as far as thumping ability and true straight line speed, but Wilson is really nice...with better instincts.

4 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

None of which were considered Generational talents in their perspective draft classes. Just because they became one it doesn't mean they were viewed as one on draft day.

Moss sure was, his concerns were character wise. Only athlete similar to Moss is since that draft is MVS IIRC

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

Moss sure was, his concerns were character wise. Only athlete similar to Moss is since that draft is MVS IIRC

Fair point on Moss, I thought about saying with the exception of Moss but never did. Either way, when you're looking at generational guys i.e. your Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Adrian Peterson, Andrew Lucks' they're gone well before pick #12 unless there are some obvious red flags ala Moss with the character concerns.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I think you're smart enough to know that's hyperbole.  Still, no, I would not want Randy Moss on my team.  Ever.  Neither him nor Terrel Owens.  Unless we were rebuilding and had zero talent on defense whatsoever and zero shot at winning a Super Bowl and we just needed someone for a young QB to throw to to get confidence.  That's the only use for locker cancers like them.

So yeah, you're right, I wouldn't ever use a first round pick on any players with the selfishness and diva mentality of those two receivers.  Ever.  But that has zero to do with their position.  Sorry you couldn't understand that.

0-3 in Super Bowls.  Edelman has two.  I'm taking the selfless okay receiver 99,999 times out of 99,999 times.  Absolutely.  

You put Donald Driver's brain and personality in them?  Yep, I'd use a first there.  

How long you gonna try to use this one against me while completely neglecting the point of what I was saying?  Forever?

You can't say that receivers have a lot impact on a team winning and then use Superbowl record against them. Using Superbowl record for pretty much any indication is foolish.

20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You can't say that receivers have a lot impact on a team winning and then use Superbowl record against them. Using Superbowl record for pretty much any indication is foolish.

Yeah, but the point on Moss isn't about WR, it's about character.  You'll find very few personalities like Moss and Owens at any position to win Super Bowls.  Bad teammates at any position tend to not win Super Bowls.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, but the point on Moss isn't about WR, it's about character.  You'll find very few personalities like Moss and Owens at any position to win Super Bowls.  Bad teammates at any position tend to not win Super Bowls.

Moss and Owens had extremely different personalities, is my first issue with your assessment. 

My second issue is that I think the cancerness of both guys is vastly overstated, especially in Owens' case. For all the gripes about TO, some valid some not, he was by all accounts the hardest working guy in the league and did a ton to try and bring along his younger teammates. 

My third issue is that I think you're not taking into account nearly enough how good/bad as teammates 95% of NFL players are, just because they don't consistently have a microphone shoved in their face because they're not Superstars.

Roethlisberger and Brady are both bad teammates as far as causing drama in the facility. They've won a lot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

If there's a generational talent he won't be on the board at #12 regardless of what draft it is.

I’ll be honest, I don’t want a wr at 12 but I could talk myself into Metcalf since he legitimately has best WR in the nfl, generational upside (of course if his neck checks out). He was projected as a top 3-5 pick before he got hurt because he is a legitimate freak. I usually don’t care about the combine but I’m really interested to see how he tests. He has great tape showing complete ability. 6’4” 240 puts him in rare Mike Evans/Calvin Johnson/Dez potential territory. I know people will flame about this idea and I get it, but like if burns, polite, and Allen are gone, the pick makes sense (even Metcalf over either burns/polite, 240lb edges is debatable)

If Metcalf's medical checks out and he performs well at the combine and he is the prospect people say he is, we won't have to worry about whether or not we should pick him anyway.

First I've heard about him honestly, but Packers and neck injuries don't mix, so I don't want him, and if our medical staff is the same, we probably won't pass him anyway.  Collins and Finley both had others clear them I believe and we said no.  Also said no to Shields and he's still in the league.

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If Metcalf's medical checks out and he performs well at the combine and he is the prospect people say he is, we won't have to worry about whether or not we should pick him anyway.

First I've heard about him honestly, but Packers and neck injuries don't mix, so I don't want him, and if our medical staff is the same, we probably won't pass him anyway.  Collins and Finley both had others clear them I believe and we said no.  Also said no to Shields and he's still in the league.

I'm OK with that because don't want to see one of our players, laying on the field paralyzed, or worse! I honestly don't want to see one of any teams players suffering that sort of fate. 

My first game at Lambeau field John Brockington laid out Ken Dyer and paralyzed him right in front of me. Never forget that moment. The Packers won 20-13. It is that ingrained in my memory and my memory is not that good any longer.