2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

This notion that vet edges are available for a reasonable price needs to die immediately.  Name even ONE EDGE that would be available at a reasonable price, and explain why you think they're available.  Teams don't give up quality pass rushers.

Hence the usage of ideal. 

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

What's the point in discussing a hypothetical if there's no reality to base it off?

Isn't that pretty much what this thread is considering things will change drastically by April?

And it is grounded in the reality the Packers went after Mack, I wish amthere was somebody else they could get is all. 

I don't think any deal will happen before the deadline. Gute is probably gonna stand pat with the picks. Personally, I would double dip edge in the first and then whatever afterwards. Draft a god damn waterboy for the rookie edge in the seventh.

10 minutes ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

Isn't that pretty much what this thread is considering things will change drastically by April?

And it is grounded in the reality the Packers went after Mack, I wish amthere was somebody else they could get is all. 

No.  You made the comment that the Packers should trade the pick for a veteran EDGE, and I asked which one was.  If the option is available, I'd love to know which one is which is what I'm getting at.  Would I love to get a veteran EDGE?  Absolutely, but I'm not going to discuss a hypothetical that isn't realistic.

I'd prefer to see a 4-3 end than a 3-4 OLB if all things are equal.  Both typically offer versatility (OLB dropping into coverage vs DE sliding in to 3T on passing downs.)  I like the extra 15 to 20 lbs on edge players.  If the guy doesn't rush the passer well, he could still be useful in run D.  I feel like if we whiff on an OLB it's hard to find him useful anywhere else.  

Of course, I wouldn't complain if one of each were drafted so Pettine can maintain some flexibility with his fronts.

I also would mind seeing a 5T drafted in the middle rounds.  Keep an eye on Matt Nelson from Iowa this weekend if you watch the WIS vs IA game.  He's a DT converted from DE.   6'8" 295.  Doesnt fit great at 3T, but could pose some trouble at 5T at the next level.

35 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Right now, EDGE, S, and RT are probably are three biggest "needs".

I agree with this (in that order), and all three are positions we have taken early so could see that happening.  

Depending on how McCray plays down the stretch we could see another guard taken. Guess that also depends on if Madison ever shows. Likely a mid round selection though. 

It will be interesting to see where they add depth - ILB and CB could use some. I would rank ILB higher than corner but will need to see how Burks plays and if Kevin King can stay healthy.  

I love the sound of a trade up if those two picks can get us high enough for a top pass rusher. I won't hold my breath but Gute has shown, as did TT, that he is willing to make big trades on draft day. 

I'll add TE to the mix of top picks (first three rounds). TEs Lewis and Kendricks have deals that end after the 2018 season. Graham has a alonger contract, but there is an 'out' after two years with a $3.6m cap hit, if taken. Tonyan is a developmental  guy, but it would be asking a lot to expect him to be a no.1 TE.

Additionally, a high pick at TE helps balance the very defense-heavy emphasis of recent years.  Something like OLB, OT, TE, S

1 minute ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

I agree with this (in that order), and all three are positions we have taken early so could see that happening.  

Depending on how McCray plays down the stretch we could see another guard taken. Guess that also depends on if Madison ever shows. Likely a mid round selection though. 

It will be interesting to see where they add depth - ILB and CB could use some. I would rank ILB higher than corner but will need to see how Burks plays and if Kevin King can stay healthy.  

I love the sound of a trade up if those two picks can get us high enough for a top pass rusher. I won't hold my breath but Gute has shown, as did TT, that he is willing to make big trades on draft day. 

I wouldn't hold my breath on a trade-up.  We've never done it under TT, so you'd have to imagine it's a philosophy that's going to be carried over from TT.  I suppose there's a scenario where they trade up with their higher first round pick along with their natural 2nd round selection, and then move down from their second first round pick to recoup some value.  But overall, I'd be incredibly skeptical if they traded up in the first round.

The Packers have never invested more than a mid-round pick into the interior OL.  That screams philosophical to me.  They've had opportunities to draft IOL earlier, and they've passed on it.  Same thing with ILB.  I think they might give some thought to adding more CB depth, but that likely comes in the mid-to-late round range.  Think someone whose got ST values there.

3 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I'll add TE to the mix of top picks (first three rounds). TEs Lewis and Kendricks have deals that end after the 2018 season. Graham has a alonger contract, but there is an 'out' after two years with a $3.6m cap hit, if taken. Tonyan is a developmental  guy, but it would be asking a lot to expect him to be a no.1 TE.

Additionally, a high pick at TE helps balance the very defense-heavy emphasis of recent years.  Something like OLB, OT, TE, S

The Packers only save ~$5M by releasing Graham after this season, so he's essentially guaranteed to be back next year.  You're not looking to replace him after 2018, so you're drafting for 2020 so you can take a flier on an athlete there instead.  You're probably looking at most a 2nd rounder, but somewhere in that 2nd-4th round range.  In an ideal world, you're going EDGE and OT in the 1st, S in the second, and then TE in the 3rd.

3 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I would rather go the FA route with a TE.  Someone that is young and in need of opportunities.  Maxx Williams, Nick Boyle both from BAL, Jesse James PIT, Tyler Kroft CIN

Since TE take longer to develop, would rather use those higher picks on players that could be contributors sooner and go FA TE and hope the development is done via another team.

Just now, squire12 said:

I would rather go the FA route with a TE.  Someone that is young and in need of opportunities.  Maxx Williams, Nick Boyle both from BAL, Jesse James PIT, Tyler Kroft CIN

Since TE take longer to develop, would rather use those higher picks on players that could be contributors sooner and go FA TE and hope the development is done via another team.

Jesse James is going to get a handsome payday sooner rather than later IMO.  You usually see TEs take off in their 2nd year.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Agreed.  You rarely see production until year 3.  So many TE have been taken high in the last 5 years and just haven't lived up to their selection.  I'd rather overpay for a TE by 2 to 3 million on the open market than whiff on or have to wait for a high pick to develop.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The Packers only save ~$5M by releasing Graham after this season, so he's essentially guaranteed to be back next year.  You're not looking to replace him after 2018, so you're drafting for 2020 so you can take a flier on an athlete there instead.  You're probably looking at most a 2nd rounder, but somewhere in that 2nd-4th round range.  In an ideal world, you're going EDGE and OT in the 1st, S in the second, and then TE in the 3rd.

Im ok with that, but i certainly wouldnt mind seeing 2 EDGE in the first 4 picks.  

• Like 1