2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

Hot take: EDGE is no longer a position worth valuing at a premium like LT or QB.

They're just not that valuable anymore because the QBs get the ball out of their hands so damn fast now. If you want to bolster your pass-rush, getting a stud IDL who is capable of it or a ILB that blitzes effectively both seem like more efficient options than getting an athletic EDGE. The former can begin to disrupt in less time than it takes for an EDGE to get around the T, and have the added benefit of forcing the QB to move out and just generally causing the play to break.

I don't feel like we have to come away with an EDGE in Round 1 with either of our picks. If a guy at the position really is the best player/value, by all means, but I'm not seeing it as a must.

45 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

Hot take: EDGE is no longer a position worth valuing at a premium like LT or QB.

They're just not that valuable anymore because the QBs get the ball out of their hands so damn fast now. If you want to bolster your pass-rush, getting a stud IDL who is capable of it or a ILB that blitzes effectively both seem like more efficient options than getting an athletic EDGE. The former can begin to disrupt in less time than it takes for an EDGE to get around the T, and have the added benefit of forcing the QB to move out and just generally causing the play to break.

I don't feel like we have to come away with an EDGE in Round 1 with either of our picks. If a guy at the position really is the best player/value, by all means, but I'm not seeing it as a must.

I'm not sure how you can say this after seeing a huge night from 51 as a pass rusher.  He undoubtedly impacted the game for the defense.

This defense could be scary good if we had consistent production from the edge linebackers.  

16 minutes ago, Cheech said:

I'm not sure how you can say this after seeing a huge night from 51 as a pass rusher.  He undoubtedly impacted the game for the defense.

This defense could be scary good if we had consistent production from the edge linebackers.  

Fack's huge night was due in large part to capitalizing off of secondary coverage where Wilson had nowhere to throw, so it's actually a function of good play on D, not the direct cause of it. That's how Pettine/Rex Ryan's scheme is designed: to get coverage sacks.

Now, just because I do not view EDGE as premium-position important like QB or LT (or, imo, CB)... does not mean I see it as unimportant. It is important; you need guys who will beat their man and get the sack when the coverage holds, which 51 was doing nicely. I just do not see them as game-changers any longer, but more like clean-up crew.

Pettine also does a great job drawing up plays to get free-rushers, but he does this using players across the defense, not just players that fit the OLB/DE mold.

2 hours ago, crfalker05 said:

To anyone smarter than I, does Dre’mont Jones fit into this system? 

i'm probably not smarter than you, but i don't like him from the ~ 5 minutes i spent watching cut-ups the other day 

i don't know who "fits" our system or what that even entails tbh 

guys being slotted in the 1st round that i like as human beings/locker room additions:

josh allen edge
brian burns edge
n'keal harry wr
aj brown wr
dalton risner ol
christian wilkins dl
devin white ilb

from my careful analysis these are my favorite 1st rounders in terms of likability/it-factor. been watching some mid-rounders too now. whether or not they are good at football i have no idea. 

15 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

Yes and no.  It's still a premium position, but that's more a testament to how important interior pressure is.

Watching USC right now (not worth my or anybody's time). Get the impression Michael Pittman Jr. could go pro early, esp with the team doing so poorly. Physical freak, feel like he could be a fun day 2 guy. I know we just took 3 H-W-S guys so not necessarily for us, but for others. Guy is just a monster.