2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 minute ago, FinneasGage said:

bush is better than white from what i've gathered. i dont want either at 12 tho. 

If you're really spending your top pick on a non-premium position like stack LB, you have to move back from #12.  Someone will probably want a premium position guy there, after all.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

That 30th pick is getting a lot of attention!

"If you’re an avid fan of mock drafts for the NFL Draft, then you’ve come across the name Chris Lindstrom in 2019. Right now, the offensive guard from Boston College is considered a fringe first-rounder on my board, but the more I play around with mock drafts and try to figure out where he might land, I can’t help but think of one match made in heaven.

That match is with the Green Bay Packers. Just think about it, and when I say that, really think about it. Starting with the Packers’ offensive line now, they have some serious instability on the interior of their offensive line. In the middle, it starts with Corey Linsley at center. Could they look to replace the five-year veteran? Sure, but they probably won’t, and he’s under contract for two more years.

This moves us to their left guard and right guard spots. At left guard, Lane Taylor is the projected starter, if healthy. Unfortunately, he was banged up for most of the 2018 season and is entering the second season of his three-year contract extension. Altogether, he should be back and in the starting lineup for the 2019 season. This leaves the right guard position that will be a competition between Justin McCray (64.6 overall grade, per PFF) and Lucas Patrick (47.2 overall grade). Both have been decent but nothing special, and that’s what this exercise is about — finding them something special"

Zach Kruse‏:  I'm fully prepared for him to be the guy at 30

The signing of Billy Turner definitely changes this. If we were going to go O-line that early it would most likely be an offensive tackle. I believe Taylor will get his chance to prove himself at LG this season and the Packers will go from there. If anything they would draft a tackle in the mid rounds who has the capability of playing guard. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Victor1124 said:

The signing of Billy Turner definitely changes this. If we were going to go O-line that early it would most likely be an offensive tackle. I believe Taylor will get his chance to prove himself at LG this season and the Packers will go from there. If anything they would draft a tackle in the mid rounds who has the capability of playing guard. 

Unless they view Turner as a possible replacement for Bulaga. Don't forget Turner has played both positions at Denver and has the length/size for the OT position. I don't think his signing changes much and the Packers would be dumb to reach for a lesser OT versus passing on Lindstrom who's probably as close to a lock at OG as you're going to get in this draft. 

2 hours ago, deathstar said:

Watching Campbell we could probably get him in the third. His routes are super lazy. 

This.  A hundred times, this.  Campbell has great burst, but I didn't see him run routes worth a darn.  

The difference between him and McLaurin is in the ability to run routes.  McLaurin has it.  Campbell has the pure speed thing.  Maybe he can be taught routes, many thought Tavon Austin would learn, too.  And that hasn't panned out, yet.

I think McLaurin is better, but I would still take Campbell at the right spot.  He can sit for a year and be a huge contributor on "gimmick" plays and I think he'd be a return weapon, right away.  

2 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Worst trait is speed?  I'm not sure who's saying that, but if you watch his highlights he regularly outruns everyone on the field, and it's not even close.  I don't think speed is a weakness for him at all.  The dude can fly.  He does need to work on his pass blocking though, and he admitted as much in an interview.  He also said he wants to learn how to pass block properly because it's something he was never taught.  His short stature is somewhat limiting, but he's strong as an ox and not at all afraid of contact, so I think he'll be ok.

He's not a game breaker at all with his speed. I'm willing to bet he's a 4.6 guy and, at his size, that's not great. 

Campbell has the pedigree and traits you can't teach. I'm not taking a lesser teammate just because one can run routes better. McLaurin never stood out at Ohio State. Just dont see where this hype is coming from. 

Campbell may be lazy in his routes but dude was never asked to to anything but find the soft spot in zones or go deep. Give him time with Rodgers and he becomes a star. 

• Like 1

With the Dolphins trading Tannehill, 12th overall just became the spot to get the third QB in the draft. 

Figure Murray and Haskins will be gone (or if they're not we've got more value).  Dolphins are sitting at 13th overall.  Unless the Dolphins move up, if anyone wants to get a QB, they're going to have to get him at 12th overall considering it's almost a foregone conclusion the Dolphins are taking one at 13. 

Drew Lock or Daniel Jones are probably going 12th overall. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

With the Dolphins trading Tannehill, 12th overall just became the spot to get the third QB in the draft. 

Figure Murray and Haskins will be gone (or if they're not we've got more value).  Dolphins are sitting at 13th overall.  Unless the Dolphins move up, if anyone wants to get a QB, they're going to have to get him at 12th overall considering it's almost a foregone conclusion the Dolphins are taking one at 13. 

Yeah, this is actually great for GB

WAS #15 and #76 could get it done.
Or we could fleece NYG for #17 and #37 since the Giants don't have a 3rd and Gettleman is dumb.

Edited by Fl0nkerton

13 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Campbell has the pedigree and traits you can't teach. I'm not taking a lesser teammate just because one can run routes better. McLaurin never stood out at Ohio State. Just dont see where this hype is coming from. 

Campbell may be lazy in his routes but dude was never asked to to anything but find the soft spot in zones or go deep. Give him time with Rodgers and he becomes a star. 

It would be different if he didn't look lazy finding the soft spot in zones. He just runs to a location on the field and turns around like he's playing flag football. Once he gets the ball it's no question, he's a difference maker. I'm not sure Rodgers is going to have the patience to play with him, though.

39 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Unless they view Turner as a possible replacement for Bulaga. Don't forget Turner has played both positions at Denver and has the length/size for the OT position. I don't think his signing changes much and the Packers would be dumb to reach for a lesser OT versus passing on Lindstrom who's probably as close to a lock at OG as you're going to get in this draft. 

I think 1 of the 2 first round picks will likely be an OL. Certainly not latert han round 2 IMO. I see the Packers taking 1 of the Iowa TE's at 12 and an OL at 30 unless the top guys have been picked over. 

15 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Meh, maybe. If the Dolphins want a QB bad enough they will move up for him. I doubt they wait until 12 considering their depth chart at QB right now. I think the Broncos at 10 are the spot the Dolphins want to maybe get ahead of.

This is also fine, because it would mean (likely) 3 QBs go before us. 

However yeah if the Dolphins stay put and someone trades up with us, I'm all for it. Could be Redskins at 15, Giants at 17, Raiders at 24, Chargers at 28. Don't really want to move back to 28

11 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

i can't figure out why aj brown isn't the clear #1 receiver in this draft 

i want him in gb very much 

Because you have like a dozen WRs who could be argued for top WR, and none of them have really separated themselves.  And in terms of value, it's probably better off to grab a WR on Day 2 than it is Day 1.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Honestly, I don't care about OL day 1 or day 2. I want impact talent on the DL/EDGE, at WR (Campbell specifically), and safety (the trio that MG just pointed out specifically in mind). So, EDGE/DL talent at 12, Safety at 30 and WR at 44. I think we can get a solid TE at 75 or even late (Alize Mack, Kaden Smith, Isaac Nauta, Jace Sternberger, Foster Moreau). This is a really deep draft at positions of need so let's kill it, Gute.

I don't think we're grabbing an OL unless there's tremendous value at 30.  Like Dalton Risner being there, although I think he goes away from what we've done historically at teh position.  I think it's DL/EDGE at 12, with 30/44 we're looking at some combination of EDGE/DL/TE/WR/CB/S, and then our 3rd round pick will come to fill a hole.

5 hours ago, Leader said:

Ed Oliver's ability to penetrate with quickness off the snap and utilize his hands to play through contact makes him an ideal fit as a three-technique in a 4-3 alignment. While he lacks size, Oliver plays with tremendous leverage and offers the play strength needed to exchange power on the interior. By year three, Oliver has the upside to become one of the NFL's premier defensive playmakers against the run and pass.

Wrong Oliver.  They're referring to Josh Oliver, the TE out of San Jose State.  Not Ed Oliver out of Houston.