2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

19 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

What's the difference between 24/26 and 30?  Not saying there won't be someone whose on a different tier.  Just think it's far more likely we move down than up from our first round pick from the Saints.

Takk Mckinley

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Better chance that we draft a QB with 12 and 30 than there is of the Dolphins staying put at 13. They're trying to jump the Giants as we speak.

I dont know....but doubt theres good QB value at 30. I think we'll trade back :)

With this offseason so far, I'm seeing the draft a bit differently. My thoughts:

EDGE - Still the premier position and strength of this draft. Having signed 2 starter-caliber players reduces the immediate need here. However, you pretty much need to be 3-rushers deep to have an elite defense. If we're drafting for Pettine, Burns and Ferrell seem in play at 12.

IDL - Clark is a stud and will get an extension here. Pairing him with a penetrating 1-gapper with elite potential is immensely tempting. Think a quicker-blossoming Daniels type but even more pass-rush ability. Oliver and maybe Simmons seem in play at 12.

OT - Another premier position. LT is locked up for 2 more years (only) and RT for only this season. Taylor and Williams are definitely in play here. This is more of a 'future' pick in that it doesn't immediately help the 2019 squad, however.

TE - Not a premier position, but one that GB has needed to address for awhile. Desperately need a youth and talent influx here perhaps more than anywhere but safety. Fant is in play at 12.

I don't see a Safety prospect worth the pick at 12, I don't think I want to invest this much draft capital in another CB. WR, RB, QB, G, C are completely out of the question. ILB only if you have a generational prospect and I don't see that.

I'd probably rate my preference at this point:

(1) penetrating IDL

(2) EDGE

(3) TE

(4) OT

• Like 3

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I don't see a Safety prospect worth the pick at 12, I don't think I want to invest this much draft capital in another CB.

I could see them making a play for Greedy Williams if they think they might be moving Jackson to safety.  Not saying I necessarily want them to do that and I'm not completely sold on Williams but I don't think it's that far fetched, especially since King can't stay on the field and it doesn't look like Breeland will be coming back. 

Edited by MaximusGluteus
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I liked Jerry Tillery before his testing, and then he went and tested like an elite DL prospect. I am more than happy taking him at 12, if Gute determines he’s BPA. 

That testing doesnt show up on tape for me. He loses leverage a lot due to his size and lack of consistency. He's good but not top 15 good. I'd be more than happy with him at 30. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gopackgo247 said:

i love his frame. 

An upgrade over Lowery for sure.

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Is Oliver gone?

Probably. 

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

I'd rather take torn ACL Simmons than Tillery. 

Not sure why.

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

That testing doesnt show up on tape for me. He loses leverage a lot due to his size and lack of consistency. He's good but not top 15 good. I'd be more than happy with him at 30. 

He’s literally the best pass rushing DT in the draft.

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

I liked Jerry Tillery before his testing, and then he went and tested like an elite DL prospect. I am more than happy taking him at 12, if Gute determines he’s BPA. 

Jerry Tillery - 6'5" / 306 lbs

Ranked as the sixth best DL behind Williams, Oliver, Simmons, Wilkins & Omeihu and 47th best athelete of the 2019 class.

Get-off/Burst - Not ultra-twitched up, but his first step is still very good and he's able to sustain his initial burst up the arc. Times up the snap well and is rarely late off the ball. Often asked to slant gaps and cross a lineman's face directly post-snap, something he was quick enough off the snap to do at a high level. Pops up instead of out at times, can stand to gain more ground off his initial burst.

Leverage - Clearly has the ability to win 1v1 as the low man, playing with great flexibility and low pad level at times, but doesn't do so consistently. Strong enough to generally hold the point of attack even while riding a bit high out of his stance. Would benefit from more consistent low pad level, but it isn't detrimental to his game like it is to others.

Hand Usage - Inconsistency is the main concern, but his hands are probably the most improved part of his game. When he fires out with his hands inside to gain early control of blockers he's fully capable of re-setting the line of scrimmage. Flashes violent hands to trim the edge of his opponent when knifing through gaps. Still perfecting timing and placement, but hand usage is becoming a big strength. Power and length to lock out blockers is special.

Rush Plan/Counters - Two go-to moves, ******-rip and cross-chop, are both lethal. Can push-pull opponents off his frame or discard them with hump moves. At times his rushes can stall out when he misses with his hands, spin-counter needs some work. Still learning to sync up feet and hands on a down-to-down basis, can lose balance in his rushes. Plan of attack was vastly improved this past season, and has the skill set to keep pointing up.

Mental Processing/Block Recognition - Probably the most notable area that is still developing for him. Will pop out of his stance looking for the ball rather than reading his keys up front. Can get reached or forced to backdoor outside zone runs due to being a step behind. Down blocks and doubles will catch him by surprise at times. Gets his hands up in passing lanes when he knows he won't get home.

Range - Has the range to make plays away from his gap. Very good speed for a defensive tackle and has the ability to change directions in space. Even dropped into coverage a few times at Notre Dame, operating in a spy role in other games. Only concern is lack of body control can at times leave him recovering his balance when he could be in pursuit.

Bend/Flexibility - Better flexibility in his ankles than in his hips, turning tight corners by getting his feet pointed to the pocket and powering through his opponent's edge. Good knee bend to leverage the point of attack when his pad level is right.

Tackling - Haven't seen any missed tackles from him on tape. Wraps up and hauls runners down outside his frame. Has delivered some big shots to quarterbacks, forced three fumbles over past two seasons.

Competitive Toughness - While effort may have been a question in the past, Tillery was lights out this past season, playing every rep hard and consistently attempting to make hustle plays. Physical snap-to-snap, didn't see his effort fade at all in 2018.

Athleticism/Size - Size, length and trimmed up frame really worked for him this past season. Moved quicker and more fluid while maintaining his raw power.

BEST TRAIT - Pass Rush Ability

WORST TRAIT - Block Recognition/Consistency

RED FLAGS - Suspended for Fiesta Bowl as a freshman due to unspecified violation of team rules. In 2016 went on a Twitter rampage in which he indirectly suggested fired LSU coach Les Miles should replace Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly. In 2016 vs USC kicked one Trojan player in the head and stomped on another's leg. Has other loves and passions outside of football that may concern teams (I don't care). Work ethic and effort haven't always been ideal, but huge growth over past two seasons.

The Jerry Tillery that took the field in 2018 was light years beyond the player that suit up for the Irish the seasons prior, showing improvement in key areas like his pass rush plan, hand usage and pad level at the point of attack. He's not perfect, as there are a couple reps every game that he takes the worst of an exchange in the run game, but he's certainly not a liability in run defense, and his pass rush ability makes him a potential high-impact interior defensive lineman in the NFL.

Tillery's best spot will be in the B-gap of an attacking defense, but he may need a little time before he becomes an every down player. He's developed quickly over the past two years however, and should contribute in a rotation early on, especially on long and late downs.

Edited by Leader