2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

11 minutes ago, deathstar said:

So your argument against Tillery is that Oliver is good. Okay.

No, my argument is that he's not worth the 12th pick. I've stated that before. He's not a top 15-20 prospect in this class. If we want him, trade back. He's far more likely to be in play at 30 than 12. Not a single reputable source has him as a top 20 player. 

Also, he's super inconsistent. IIRC, over half his sacks last year came in one game. Honestly, you can make a case that he's not even a top 5 IDL in this class.

Edited by beekay414

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

No, my argument is that he's not worth the 12th pick. I've stated that before. He's not a top 15-20 prospect in this class. If we want him, trade back. He's far more likely to be in play at 30 than 12. Not a single reputable source has him as a top 20 player. 

@beekay414 How do you stack Wilkins with Tillery ?

4 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

@beekay414 How do you stack Wilkins with Tillery ?

Hard to tell with the Clemson guys. Wilkins might actually be the best of the bunch in that regard. He's more polished than Tillery but I can see why others would prefer him. Tillery is more toolsy and the better pass rusher. Has the higher ceiling as well. Just depends on what you're looking for. 

I think one sneaky position that needs to be addressed is the DL. Clark, Daniels and Lowry all have one year left on their contracts, there's no guarantees we will even bring back Wilkerson, if we did it would only be for 1 year. With that in mind I think Gute will look to draft a DL early. The fact Gute has addressed the pass rush in FA may point to the direction we might take in the draft.

Whilst we're all focusing on OLB, S, OL and TE,  the DL has passed by largely unnoticed. It has a potential to be a real problem next year. Under TT he always tried to draft a particular position a year early in anticipation for a FA leaving the following year -  there's no reason why Gute will not continue with this philosophy.

This year we should be ok but next year I fully expect us to either re-sign Clark to a new contract or activate his 5th year option. I think Daniels and Lowry is gone. I don't think Wilkerson will be sticking around for his third one year deal with us. Right now in 2020 our DL depth looks like this Clark, Lancaster, Adams, Looney. I feel pretty confident that we will be addressing this over the next two drafts.

• Like 3

Let's say we draft Oliver at 12. Do the Packers then cut Daniels or let him play out his last year? Oliver is basically the same type of player and you save about $8.3m now by cutting Daniels. If you draft Oliver, at the very least you're more than likely not resigning Daniels after this year. 

Im not advocating for the move one way or the other, but it'll be an interesting decision if Oliver is the pick.

26 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Also, he's super inconsistent. IIRC, over half his sacks last year came in one game. Honestly, you can make a case that he's not even a top 5 IDL in this class.

Not sure you’re up to date on prospect rankings there. The only comment against Tillery you’ve made is that he’s inconsistent. 

2 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Get ready for Tillery dude.

I don't mind him, I just massively disagree with the idea that he's a top 12 player in this class. Nothing about his game tape says it and if we're going to get sucked into the combine hype, we deserve the results that'll come with it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I dont care what mock draft site has Tillery ranked that high. If we grab him at 12 and dont trade down? Imma snap. 

Edited by Nick_gb
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Chili said:

I think one sneaky position that needs to be addressed is the DL. Clark, Daniels and Lowry all have one year left on their contracts, there's no guarantees we will even bring back Wilkerson, if we did it would only be for 1 year. With that in mind I think Gute will look to draft a DL early. The fact Gute has addressed the pass rush in FA may point to the direction we might take in the draft.

Whilst we're all focusing on OLB, S, OL and TE,  the DL has passed by largely unnoticed. It has a potential to be a real problem next year. Under TT he always tried to draft a particular position a year early in anticipation for a FA leaving the following year -  there's no reason why Gute will not continue with this philosophy.

This year we should be ok but next year I fully expect us to either re-sign Clark to a new contract or activate his 5th year option. I think Daniels and Lowry is gone. I don't think Wilkerson will be sticking around for his third one year deal with us. Right now in 2020 our DL depth looks like this Clark, Lancaster, Adams, Looney. I feel pretty confident that we will be addressing this over the next two drafts.

I agree completely.   Talented and deep DL draft class + GB has expiring contracts in Daniels and Lowry for 2020 seems like the right formula to take a DL early....round 1 or 2. 

Been saying this for about 2 months with lots of push back from posters saying 2019 the is no need for a DL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Let's say we draft Oliver at 12. Do the Packers then cut Daniels or let him play out his last year? Oliver is basically the same type of player and you save about $8.3m now by cutting Daniels. If you draft Oliver, at the very least you're more than likely not resigning Daniels after this year. 

Im not advocating for the move one way or the other, but it'll be an interesting decision if Oliver is the pick.

You keep paying and playing Daniels until time you're no longer paying him (meaning: till his contract runs out and he either doesnt reup with us or we dont want to put out the coin for him). I see nothing wrong with Daniels game. He had a bit of a down year by his standards. So what? We throw him out with the trash? We're not so stout along the DL that we can afford that IMO. Lets see how his game improves with some more weapons around him.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

You keep paying and playing Daniels until time you're no longer paying him (meaning: till his contract runs out and he either doesnt reup with us or we dont want to put out the coin for him). I see nothing wrong with Daniels game. He had a bit of a down year by his standards. So what? We throw him out with the trash? We're not so stout along the DL that we can afford that IMO. Lets see how his game improves with some more weapons around him.

It's not about that. If you don't see Daniels in your future past 2019 you have to consider the $8.3 financial gain you could roll over or use on other resources post-draft, especially if you've just drafted the younger, improved version of Daniels. 

Heck, even without Oliver there's a good chance we'll see Daniels' snaps reduced, especially on 3rd down when we slide Z. Smith inside. I like Daniels but if you draft Oliver, how much would Daniels even see the field?

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

I dont care what mock draft site has Tillery ranked that high. If we grab him at 12 and dont trade down? Imma snap.

We're not snagging him at 12. Thats about all I can say about him - and not because I've seen anything of him on tape. Simply from my readings he's not even considered DL - he's considered EDGE and is wayyyyyyyyy down the list of prospects. Draft him at 12? Not happening.