2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

We're not drafting Tillery at 12.  It takes a full fifty years to for GMs to make the same mistake as a previous gm of the same team.  If Thompson hadn't drafted Harrell after Harrell's late and surprising rise, maybe, but Gute isn't going to do that. 

1 minute ago, Leader said:

We're not snagging him at 12. Thats about all I can say about him - and not because I've seen anything of him on tape. Simply from my readings he's not even considered DL - he's considered EDGE and is wayyyyyyyyy down the list of prospects. Draft him at 12? Not happening.

You are misinformed. Tillery has throughout this entire process been regarded as an excellent prospect, with the potential to go top 10 BUT he has some off field issues that were expecting to push him down boards to the later 1st or early 2nd. Simmons tearing his ACL could change things

Just now, packfanfb said:

It's not about that. If you don't see Daniels in your future past 2019 you have to consider the $8.3 financial gain you could roll over or use on other resources post-draft, especially if you've just drafted the younger, improved version of Daniels. 

Heck, even without Oliver there's a good chance we'll see Daniels' snaps reduced, especially on 3rd down when we slide Z. Smith inside. I like Daniels but if you draft Oliver, how much would Daniels even see the field?

I understood what you meant but even if we snag Oliver or some DL stud - we keep and play Daniels till his clock runs out - then decide.
I dont see having a lot of talent along the DL is a bad thing.

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It's not about that. If you don't see Daniels in your future past 2019 you have to consider the $8.3 financial gain you could roll over or use on other resources post-draft, especially if you've just drafted the younger, improved version of Daniels. 

Heck, even without Oliver there's a good chance we'll see Daniels' snaps reduced, especially on 3rd down when we slide Z. Smith inside. I like Daniels but if you draft Oliver, how much would Daniels even see the field?

We don't really have people to extend this year... I would prefer to keep Daniels and have a nice rotation of Daniels - Clark - Oliver - Lowry - Lancaster with ZD Smith coming inside on some 3rd downs. 

3 minutes ago, deathstar said:

WGZSOq3.jpg

Not bad. Don't think Sweat lasts to 12, but I think everyone else's values are pretty on point.

Interesting, I could live with it.  I seem to think something is a little strange.  I've noticed a few other members using Fanspeak and not getting ripped for it, like I was, strange?  Keep using it, I like it.  Thanks!

2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

You are misinformed. Tillery has throughout this entire process been regarded as an excellent prospect, with the potential to go top 10 BUT he has some off field issues that were expecting to push him down boards to the later 1st or early 2nd. Simmons tearing his ACL could change things

Well - yes and no.

My last comment: "We're not snagging him at 12. Thats about all I can say about him - and not because I've seen anything of him on tape. Simply from my readings he's not even considered DL - he's considered EDGE and is wayyyyyyyyy down the list of prospects. Draft him at 12? Not happening"

Is wrong. I'd posted TDN breakdowns on Tillery and Anthony Nelson last night - and the above recent comment was "misspeak" on my part of Nelson's breakdown rather than Tillery - who's ranked at the sixth best DL.  Nelson didnt receive rave reviews and in responding to Nick I was thinking of Nelson as opposed to Tillery. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Let's say we draft Oliver at 12. Do the Packers then cut Daniels or let him play out his last year? Oliver is basically the same type of player and you save about $8.3m now by cutting Daniels. If you draft Oliver, at the very least you're more than likely not resigning Daniels after this year. 

Im not advocating for the move one way or the other, but it'll be an interesting decision if Oliver is the pick.

What do we need that extra money for this season? The only 2020 free agent that we need to extend at this point is Blake Martinez, and Fackrell depending on how we feel about his future.  Others surely will play their way into earning another contract, but that is probably the only one we really must sign.  There really isn't a reason to cut Daniels.

Now, if we want to have a discussion about not bringing him back when his contract is up, I am leaning that way, especially if we draft someone like Oliver.

Tillery the player was always a stud talent.

He was down because the NFL had only talked to the college coaches who had issues with him.

Now he's getting to tell his side of the story. He's talked the most recently and reportedly did well so people trapped in the moment are talking about him like the issues didn't exist.

Things will eventually settle down to where they should be with him around the 20s as a genuine NFL talent who has some personal issues.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Tillery the player was always a stud talent.

He was down because the NFL had only talked to the college coaches who had issues with him.

Now he's getting to tell his side of the story. He's talked the most recently and reportedly did well so people trapped in the moment are talking about him like the issues didn't exist.

Things will eventually settle down to where they should be with him around the 20s as a genuine NFL talent who has some personal issues.

Who do you view as the best penetrating IDL in this class not named Quinnen? Oliver and Tillery?

42 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Who do you view as the best penetrating IDL in this class not named Quinnen? Oliver and Tillery?

Not the one you asked, but I think Oliver has to be it. The guy's a stud with a motor that doesn't quit. I don't think he'll be there at 12, though.