2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

23 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think there's just one guy- Sutton Smith from Northern Illinois who played Edge in college but who projects inside in the NFL.  Day 3 guy, could be a target.  Runs well, high motor guy, undersized but a good tackler.

So the way things are going probably a good pick at number 30...

I forgot Thompson was retired.

If he could be a prospect / project in the later rounds I would be cool with it.

Edited by Fox_NFLs_GG

38 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Processing - Made strides in 2018 compared to 2017 but he is still a work in progress. Tape features a mixed bag of slow reads, incorrect reads and some confident/correct reads. Route anticipation and zone awareness need improvement. Easily manipulated by play fakes and keeps the door open for cut back opportunities.

Football Intelligence –Discipline and confidence in reads grew in 2018 as a junior. Much more confident to step with anticipation and use his lateral mobility to get over top of runs and get square on his challenges. Lapses or delay in reaction is still present but much less frequent.

Key & Diagnose - Wish he was more consistent in this area, but improved significantly from a year ago. Plays forward on the balls of his feet, showing typically good vision to find and track the football while also processing his keys. Explosive triggers forward when his windows open up front. Does an excellent job of IDing pullers and playing them with proper pace to the playside.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/devin-white

That alone sours me.

Give me Cashman in the 5th if we take an ILB...

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I like Cashman as a Day 3 ILB for Green Bay.  

I feel like he'll go in the 3rd, possible late round 2 guy.  If they want to move around on day 2 for guys they like, that's fine.  Only "real picks" on day 3 are the 4ths and maybe the high 5 anyway.

3 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

greedy moves awkwardly and looked awful in movement drills at combine, i'm sure you're already aware of that. then blames cramping. plays soft. i don't know, just can't get excited about him. but agree, just about putting him in position to get the ball. maybe safety is the move. but i doubt a team does that early on.

baker i was buying in to until i saw him move at the combine too. i know "personality" reports are all bogus and manufactured almost every time, but guys on twitter that i believe wouldn't just throw **** around were saying they heard some rough stuff too. i'd rather just not. 

byron i like a lot. just the concern over deep speed and his little arms are worrisome. he moves well. 

i'd pass on them, don't see a reason to snag any, there will be better players at 30 and 44 i reckon. 

just started watching rock ya-sin a few minutes ago, what you think about him? which cornerback am i going to like? 

Haven’t watched Ya-Sin. But tell me if he looks like a 7.3 3 come guy, because that’s not a good number. Maybe he was injured during that test?

On 3/15/2019 at 3:24 PM, Leader said:

@CWood21 - you'd indicated you'd select Nasir Adderley at 30. I was wondering your thoughts on Chauncey Gardner-Johnson and how the players compare. If both were available at 30 - you'd select Adderley?

Since you and @OneTwoSixFive asked similar questions, I'll answer it for both of you.

Maybe others disagree, but the value in Amos is that he's a solid all-around safety.  I don't feel he's particularly great at single-high nor do I think he's a in-the-box safety either.  He's a guy whose capable of moving all around the secondary, which I believe opens up the possibility of who is playing next to him next year.  Given that we handed Tramon Williams his roster bonus for the year yesterday, it seems likely he'll be in a Packer uniform for the upcoming season.  Not the most exciting scenario, but that seems to be moving Tramon into that veteran CB/S tweener mode if we get a safety in the draft.

Nasir Adderly [Delaware] - Probably the most talked safety, and that's because he's got the most unique skillset.  And it's personally one that I value highly and that's range.  He's got legitimate sideline-to-sideline range.  It's not quite Earl Thomas range, but someone you are probably going to feel reasonably comfortable in that single high safety look as opposed to someone like Josh Jones who should never be playing single high.  Shown the ability to come up in run support, and more important a willingness to do so, but I'm not sure it'll ever be a strength.  Really struggled out in man coverage especially at the Senior Bowl, which isn't his cup of tea.  You're playing him more away from the LOS than close to it, and if you want to utilize Josh Jones as your nickel back, that might be one way to go about it.  There's also the natural question about level of competition, especially with his struggles at the Senior Bowl.  Best case scenario, you're looking at a poor man's Earl Thomas (which is still a damn good player).

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson [Florida] - Versatility is his calling card, and I'm not sure there's anything that you're going to ask from your safety that he can't do.  He can play single-high, he can come down in man coverage against a RB/TE, or somewhere in between.  He played more high coverage prior to last year, but he showed the ability to do it competently.  He doesn't quite have the range that Adderly does, but he's more competent in man coverage and seems to be a bit better in run support than him.  His tackling improved tremendously from 2017.  The biggest knock on him is his consistency.  If you pull up the 2017 tape, he was bad in particular with regards to tackling and run support which he improved tremendously in 2018.  Did the light finally go on or is that just a flash in the pan?

Deionte Thompson [Alabama] - Honestly, this was one of the guys I had the hardest time giving a fair evaluation to.  Alabama has so much talent on that defense, and it starts up front and the recent Alabama's DBs have been a bit lackluster.  Part of me is that I feel he was playing a bit out of position when he was asked to play single-high, since he has a bad tendency to jump on the underneath stuff which becomes a big play when it's a fake.  There's not a play on the football field he can't make, but he's also going to give up his fair share of big plays.  I don't believe Alabama had him playing any meaningful man coverage snaps, so he's an unknown in that regard.  His footwork needs to be cleaned up, which is one of the bigger red flags for me as he has too many wasted steps.

Juan Thornhill [Virginia] - Honestly, I didn't anticipate him running a 4.42 forty at the Combine, which means I'll probably take another look at him.  If you want interchangeable safeties, Thornhill is probably you guys as he can competently play just about any of those safety roles, but I'm not sure he's going to be great at any of them.  His range isn't great, but he makes up for it with good footwork and solid instincts.  I'm really interested to see if his 3-cone numbers correlate anywhere similar to where his 40 yard dash was, because he doesn't pop off the tape as overly limber.  He's probably the "safest" of the safeties, but he doesn't really excel in any role in particular.

Johnathan Abram [Mississippi State] - Honestly, I don't get the hype behind him.  His coverage skills are poor and his ball skills are virtually non-existent.  Quite frankly, I'm not sure he's anything more than what we have in Josh Jones as that hybrid LB/DB.  If you're a team who employs a lot of 3-safety looks, maybe Abram has more value to those teams but if you're asking him to play single-high, you're asking to be burned badly.  And competent is probably the best way to describe his play in Cover-2.  But if you play him closer to the LOS, he's a gamer.  More of an old school strong safety.

Taylor Rapp [Washington] - Not quite as extreme as Abram, but still in that same mold that is better off playing closer to the LOS.  Probably more of a nickel back than one of your traditional safeties.  But if your a team that utilizes a lot of 3 safety looks, you're probably going to love Taylor Rapp.  The kid has a nose for the ball, but physical limitations really hold him back.  He's not real rangy, but he'll make plays in his zone but he's not someone whose going to hide the deficiencies of other DBs.  You might be able to play him in a Cover-2 scenario, but asking him to play single high in Cover-1 is asking for issues to pop up.  For his role, I'd argue he's a damn good safety but he'll never be a great safety because of his physical limitations.

Darnell Savage [Maryland] - He's another one I want to take another look at.  I didn't anticipate him testing that well at the Combine.  I figured he'd be a good athlete, but not a plus athlete by any means.  I feel he's the most boom or bust of the safety prospects that I've mentioned.  You're either going to have a guy that is one of the best safeties in the NFL in a couple of years or out of the league before his rookie contract is over.  I'm not sure there is any role on the field he can't play, and play at a high level.  He tends to overthink and play himself out of position.  Willing to come down in run support and he usually takes good angles to the ball carrier.

And then there's the probably Plan F which is to move Josh Jackson to safety.  I'm generally of the belief that you don't move cornerbacks off their position until they prove they can't play there.  That's part of the reason why I think the Packers' FO was so resistant to moving Damarious Randall to safety, because he was competent enough at CB.  I don't think that transition comes unless they draft a CB early.  Between the health issues of Kevin King and the diminished play of Tramon Williams, we're an injured Kevin King from having a depleted CB corps again.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I could see them making a play for Greedy Williams if they think they might be moving Jackson to safety.  Not saying I necessarily want them to do that and I'm not completely sold on Williams but I don't think it's that far fetched, especially since King can't stay on the field and it doesn't look like Breeland will be coming back. 

That'd be the thought process if they took another CB.  IF they take a CB at 12 (or even in the first round), that pretty much ends the Josh Jackson-at-CB situation.  Kevin King (if healthy), Jaire Alexander, and your DP would be your "starting" corners.  You're essentially killing two birds with one stone in this scenario.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Finally I'm pushing something I have mentioned months ago, Josh Jackson at safety, it just seems to suit his game so well (though I would only consider that seriously if he didn't look so good at CB in his second year). 

I'm of the belief that you don't move a CB off the position until they prove they can't play there.  And simply said, we haven't seen enough of Josh Jackson to make a definitive statement.  And I'd venture that the FO/coaching staff feels that same way.  When the Packers dealt HHCD to Washington, they opted to move Tramon to safety.  Not Josh Jackson.  That's pretty telling.  And it's not like there haven't been a LONG history of DBs who struggled at CB in their first year and then it starts to click when things slow down.  I think Josh Jackson gets another shot at CB this year before they have that discussion.

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Between the health issues of Kevin King and the diminished play of Tramon Williams, we're an injured Kevin King from having a depleted CB corps again.

Good breakdown on the Safeties CW - thanks for that - and - the above comment is 100% on target. Meaning (IMO) we're closer to a depleted CB corps than not. I like KK - think him a talent. Also doubt he's gonna stay healthy.

Edited by Leader