• Kittle 5th
  • Hooper 3rd
  • Cook 3rd
  • Ebron 1st
  • Rudolph 2nd
  • Njoku 1st
  • Graham 3rd
  • Burton UDFA

We have two first day players, six second day (2nd/3rd rounds), two third day / UDFA.

Though this list is a lot more top-heavy than I was expecting, it sorta confirms my feelings that TE is a weird position in that it's uncommon that late round TEs or UDFAs pan out but you don't necessarily need to invest a premium pick. It's not as late-round friendly as say ILB or WR but I wouldn't say you need to pick them in the first two rounds like stated above, I'd reserve that judgement for positions like EDGE or DL where it's very hard to find a gem outside the first two rounds.

31 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Yeah, just dont tell Gates, Graham, Kelce or Kittle.

Went all the way back to Gates huh? Lol

Now I can name more Offensive linemen drafted late just by the Packers that are good. Not to mention the other 31 teams. 

1 hour ago, Burnett42 said:

That's 4 players out of what 150 in that time frame?

That's 4 players off the top of my head venturing from extremely recent to still playing... sure superstars arent found regularly outside the top 4 rounds but that's with all positions. TE really isnt special considering the best to ever play was drafted in the 2nd...

1 hour ago, Burnett42 said:

Went all the way back to Gates huh? Lol

Now I can name more Offensive linemen drafted late just by the Packers that are good. Not to mention the other 31 teams. 

Theres 5 starting OL on a squad.. I didnt mention guys that were just good, but factually elite. But sure let's make a comparison between 5 spots and 1 or 2.

24 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Top 10 TEs last year (according to yards) and the rounds they were picked:

• Ertz 2nd
  • Kelce 3rd
  • Kittle 5th
  • Hooper 3rd
  • Cook 3rd
  • Ebron 1st
  • Rudolph 2nd
  • Njoku 1st
  • Graham 3rd
  • Burton UDFA

We have two first day players, six second day (2nd/3rd rounds), two third day / UDFA.

Though this list is a lot more top-heavy than I was expecting, it sorta confirms my feelings that TE is a weird position in that it's uncommon that late round TEs or UDFAs pan out but you don't necessarily need to invest a premium pick. It's not as late-round friendly as say ILB or WR but I wouldn't say you need to pick them in the first two rounds like stated above, I'd reserve that judgement for positions like EDGE or DL where it's very hard to find a gem outside the first two rounds.

And who is the worst first round TEs in the last 10 years?

Gresham or Ebron?

Still have longevity in the league, could do a lot worse than them.

12 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

That's 4 players off the top of my head venturing from extremely recent to still playing... sure superstars arent found regularly outside the top 4 rounds but that's with all positions. TE really isnt special considering the best to ever play was drafted in the 2nd...

Now how many can you name outside of the first 3 rounds?

Just because you can hit on a Tom Brady or Russell Wilson doesn't make people think they could get a good Qb late does it?

TE, Edge, and QB are a lot harder to hit on late than other postions and that's saying something considering all postions are hard to hit on late. 

But continuously I hear fans wanting to wait until late to draft a TE.....good luck with that.

Edited by Burnett42

Oh, expanding the horizons now are we?

TE really isnt equivocable to QB. There arent a lot of premium talents coming out at TE. It's much easier to find role players at the position than it is guys who can do everything well.

TE is much closer to S than it is to QB in terms of all pro talents. Role players, sure. But not guys who do everything extremely well.

A 1st is hardly worth it for TE's. 2-4 seems to be the more valuable target for the position. 

Edited by HighCalebR

2017 Kittle for Howard. The other high picks are still waiting to be worth it.

2016- If Hunter Henry stays healthy it's a good possibility hes the best in class. A 2nd rounder

2015.. who's been the best so far? Jesse James?

2014 probably Ebron but hes not with his original squad. 

13- Ertz and Kelce 2nd and 3rd rounds respectably.

12 and 11 didnt even have 1st round TE's.

It's almost like there arent prospects at TE that are really worth the pick..

7 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

2016- If Hunter Henry stays healthy it's a good possibility hes the best in class. A 2nd rounder

It's almost like TE talent is so hard to find that sometimes you dont even have one worthy of a 1st round pick.

13 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Ertz was picked 35, basically a 1st round pick 

3 minutes ago, Burnett42 said:

It's almost like TE talent is so hard to find that sometimes you dont even have one worthy of a 1st round pick.

1st rd TE's the last 5 years, you tell me which ones ended up being worth it.

Hayden Hurst. OJ Howard. Evan Engram. David Njoku. Eric Ebron. Tyler Eifert.

Meanwhile 2nd and 3rd rd TE's dominate the DC's

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Basically a 1st lulz, Njoku was 29th, basically a 2nd. 

This is a DUMB argument man. There's only 32 teams.

Not really. Considering my original argument was you need to draft TEs in the first to early 2nd. If the eagles had pick 32, its likely they would have taken Ertz there.

Either way most TEs that are good have been drafted mid 2nd at the latest outside of a few.