2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

19 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

The "I'm sick and really bored" mock...

1.12 - TJ Hockenson | TE | Iowa - Board fell poorly so I pulled the trigger on the ideal fit for LaFleur's scheme. Tempted to take Andre Dillard but I'd rather wait on OT.
1.30 - Jeffery Simmons | IDL | Mississippi State - There's a legit chance he falls here due to the ACL. It's tremendous value as I think he's a top 10 talent. Run to the podium. 
2.44 - Darnell Savage | SAF | Maryland - Playmaker and tested really well. Think he's a great fit next to Amos.
3.75 - Mecole Hardman | WR | Georgia - Pure electricity and a component of our offense that we've been missing for far too long. We've got the tall deep threats, now get the guy that will straight KILL teams underneath.
4.114 - Joe Giles-Harris | LB | Duke - The Blake Martinez insurance. He's an every down MIKE linebacker and a really heady player. Lots to like with him and real chance he goes far earlier than this.
4.118 - Jalen Jelks | EDGE | Oregon - Toolsy, toolsy kid. Exactly the type of pick you make in the fourth. Yeah, I know we need OL but I can't pass on the upside here.
5.150 - Oli Udoh | OT | Elon - Believe we're connected to this kid and he seems really toolsy yet really raw. 
6.185 - Devine Ozigbo | RB | Nebraska - The thunder to Aaron Jones' lightning. 
6.194 - Cody Conway | OT | Syracuse - Really good pass blocker due to the system he played in. Run blocking could use work and he could be kicked inside, if not he's a hell of a RT. Udoh is the upside pick, Conway is the steady fill-in early type.
7.226 - Keelan Doss | WR | UC Davis - Practice squad WR with considerable upside. 

Big fan of Jelks and Ozigbo. But my main issue is in year 1, unless there’s a surprise, we’d be getting around 1000 snaps out of our first four picks. Contrast that to Jackson and Alexander last year getting 1500 between the two of them.

Edited by deathstar

4 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Big fan of Jelks and Ozigbo. But my main issue is in year 1, unless there’s a surprise, we’d be getting around 1000 snaps out of our first four picks. Contrast that to Jackson and Alexander last year getting 1500 between the two of them.

I'm not too worried about 2019 snaps tbh. I don't think any rookie starts for us this year barring injury regardless so I went upside all the way through. 

What's the word on Foster Moreau?  Is he a day 2 guy?

Other guys who kind of hit the athletic thresholds:

Kahale Warring, SDSU

Alize' Mack, ND (mostly on here for the name)

Drew Sample (is this a real person or someone to fill out a spreadsheet?)

Josh Oliver

Edited by skibrett15

I too was bored.  Did a mock draft at TDN using their predictive simulator.

#12, Brian Burns, EDGE, Florida State.  Oliver was gone.

#30, TJ Hockenson, TE, Iowa.  Fant was gone, as was Risner.

#44, Dexter Lawrence, DL, Clemson.  Tough spot to pick.  Simmons was there, I went with the bigger man who can play right away.  

#75, Darnell Savage, S, Maryland.  Hooker was there with him.  Coin toss. Savage won.  

#114, David Montgomery, RB, Iowa State.  Easy choice.  Value finally meshed with RB.  

#118, Bobby Evans, OT, Oklahoma.

#150, Ross Pierschbacher, G, Alabama.

#185, Penny Hart, WR/KR, Georgia State.  Value really met up nicely with WR here.  Lots of good ones, I choose the one with slot ability and return ability.

#194, Dre Greelaw, ILB, Arkansas.  

#226, Inman Marshall, CB, USC.

43 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I too was bored.  Did a mock draft at TDN using their predictive simulator.

#12, Brian Burns, EDGE, Florida State.  Oliver was gone.

#30, TJ Hockenson, TE, Iowa.  Fant was gone, as was Risner.

#44, Dexter Lawrence, DL, Clemson.  Tough spot to pick.  Simmons was there, I went with the bigger man who can play right away.  

#75, Darnell Savage, S, Maryland.  Hooker was there with him.  Coin toss. Savage won.  

#114, David Montgomery, RB, Iowa State.  Easy choice.  Value finally meshed with RB.  

#118, Bobby Evans, OT, Oklahoma.

#150, Ross Pierschbacher, G, Alabama.

#185, Penny Hart, WR/KR, Georgia State.  Value really met up nicely with WR here.  Lots of good ones, I choose the one with slot ability and return ability.

#194, Dre Greelaw, ILB, Arkansas.  

#226, Inman Marshall, CB, USC.

Does anyone know I’d Lawrence can play 5T or is he  NT? What about Kenny Clark? Can he slide to 5T if we were to draft a guy like Lawrence?

49 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Does anyone know I’d Lawrence can play 5T or is he  NT? What about Kenny Clark? Can he slide to 5T if we were to draft a guy like Lawrence?

My understanding is that Lawrence can play anywhere on the Dline, DE or DT/NT.

1 hour ago, jleisher said:

Man, that guy is a freak hey? My only issue with. It taking him at 12 would be his lack of pass rush. I’d be ok with him at 30 though and ecstatic to get him at 44. Although there are several others I’d love at 44 who could actually end up being there too. 

• Like 1

Looking at the roster, I still think Gute is going DB fairly high. He needs another starter. The key is Josh Jackson. If he stays at CB, then a FS is needed. Maybe one of Savage, Adderly, or CGJ falls to 1-30. If Jackson is moved to S, like some on here suggest--it's his best position, then a CB is needed. That might put 1-12 in play. Is there a CB out there worth 1-12? If not, then maybe Gute trades down from 1-12 to where the sweet spot is for the top corners. Just wondering where do ya'll think the sweet spot is in round one for this year's crop of corners? And what corners do you see going in round 1?

16 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Looking at the roster, I still think Gute is going DB fairly high. He needs another starter. The key is Josh Jackson. If he stays at CB, then a FS is needed. Maybe one of Savage, Adderly, or CGJ falls to 1-30. If Jackson is moved to S, like some on here suggest--it's his best position, then a CB is needed. That might put 1-12 in play. Is there a CB out there worth 1-12? If not, then maybe Gute trades down from 1-12 to where the sweet spot is for the top corners. Just wondering where do ya'll think the sweet spot is in round one for this year's crop of corners? And what corners do you see going in round 1?

There's no corner truly worthy of 12 if that's the route we want. Value is much better in rounds 2-3 for corners than round 1.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

15 hours ago, jleisher said:

14 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Man, that guy is a freak hey? My only issue with. It taking him at 12 would be his lack of pass rush. I’d be ok with him at 30 though and ecstatic to get him at 44. Although there are several others I’d love at 44 who could actually end up being there too. 

I don't see nearly enough pass rush to make him an end.  I took him as a space eater and one capable of pushing the pocket backwards.  I think his best position is the nose, anchoring inside and pushing.  In my mock draft, though, he and Simmons were there.  I wanted the Simmons skillset more, but I chose the healthy DL.  

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

There's no corner truly worthy of 12 if that's the route we want. Value is much better in rounds 2-3 for corners than round 1.

Thanks for your insight, PR. Do you think we could get a starter caliber free S at 1-30? Then Jackson stays at corner. Who do you like at 1-12? I was a Burns person, but now I'm not. I don't think he fits a starter role in Pettine's defense.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Thanks for your insight, PR. Do you think we could get a starter caliber free S at 1-30? Then Jackson stays at corner. Who do you like at 1-12? I was a Burns person, but now I'm not. I don't think he fits a starter role in Pettine's defense.

Burns, White, Oliver, Dillard, Sweat (and obviously any higher ranked player that fell) is my narrowed down list of who I want at 12.

At 30 you probably have your pick of the safeties unless some teams reach. 44 there will still be some good ones too.

• Like 2