2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

34 minutes ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

Ya I'm not holding my breath at all. It will be the most intriguing aspect of the draft for me - what happens with these two picks? I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that they do trade up if the picks are in the 20's and one of their guys is there in the 10-15 area. TT's most aggressive move in the draft was trading back up into the first for Clay Matthews, if they are high on somebody and the draft doesn't turn out to be so deep there, I could see Gute breaking the tendency. Of course, if it is a deep draft, there's probably not a chance they trade up. 

I agree with the rest of your assessment as well - a guard will definitely be a mid round pick. Pretty much a lock at this point an IOL will be taken in the mid rounds. Just trying to fill in some of our needs behind what you listed. Corner certainly has a mid-late round grade as well as of now but do you think the availability if K. King, combined with Tramon hypothetically retiring and House perhaps not being brought back, that the need for a corner might be pushed up?

I think another scenario to keep an eye on is with M. Wilkerson. The Packers have shown they want to dominate the LOS with these big guy and have invested a 1st in Clark, 4th in Daniels, 3rd in Adams, and brought Wilkerson in. If he isn't a difference maker and Adams doesn't make a jump, I could see their replacement being drafted anywhere from the first - fourth round. You can't have too many of these guys so if the value is there it's certainly possible. 

You may also remember the quote from TT that said that they were contemplating taking Clay at 9 when B.J. Raji fell to them.  Some might believe that's just lip service but given the fact that it essentially locked the Packers out of the draft for some ~80 picks.  I tend to believe the validity of that comment.  I think the Packers are a team who philosophically are against trading up in the first round unless they're getting tremendous value or grabbing a player whose a tier or two higher than their remaining players.  LIS, I'm taking the odds on that one.

I think the only way they spend a high (i.e. 1st to 3rd round pick) pick on a corner is if they have long-term concerns regarding Kevin King, his shoulders in particular.  But I don't think we would have selected him in the 2nd round if they had those concerns so I'd assume it'd have to be some sort of new injury.  As for the DL, it's a possibility but they've invested a TON in the DL in recent years.  They paid Wilkerson and Daniels a bunch, and Clark probably starts talking about extension next year I believe.  Until Adams gets legitimate reps, they're probably not writing him off and based on his PS play for good reason.

• Like 1

What I want is EDGE, EDGE, offensive line. 

Now a lot can change in 8 months, but if I had to pull the trigger now this is what I'd want today. One caveat, value has to meet need. There are other directions we could go if those two don't match up. The draft apparently is loaded on the d-line with round 1 top of 2 talent. We could go there with a pick if the value isn't there at the more pressing needs. 

There are also likely to be some youngish pass rushers on the market. The Cowboys don't have the money to re-sign Demarcus Lawrence. Shane Ray, Dante Fowler also are likely to be available. 

@CWood21 I can't argue any of that lol. It will definitely be interesting to see what happens and I'll be happy trade up or not. Agreed that it's not likely at all but I would not be surprised if this is the tear it happens - even if it's just a few spots. I definitely don't see them going into the top ten, any theories including that should probably be tossed out

Seems like the packers new defense may use a 4-3 type player at one OLB Spot and a more typical OLB at the other. Sweat or Brian Burns, then Joe Jackson or Allen at the other. I don’t see a SS so far I like that well early on so OG or RT for me in 2-3 round. 

Ill add that I wouldn’t rule out 3 straight OLB’s if it fell right. If Clay is gone we have Perry, Gilbert and Fak left, very uninspiring. Having Jackson backup Perry and Sweat and Burns rotating could, “could” be outstanding. 

Best player/value that is OTB at premium positions.  

Edge, OT, DL, CB/S would be top priorities currently.  Lots can change between now and then.  Spriggs may be pressed into action and perform really well.  DL could use a boost with Wilkerson contract ending after 2018 and hesitation on giving out a big contract with his background.  A deep and quality rotation along the DL can negate the need for high end EDGE.

Longer term at CB is good with King, Alexander and Jackson, but Williams and House are aging and adding a day 2 pick there if value presents itself would not be out of the question.

38 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Seems like the packers new defense may use a 4-3 type player at one OLB Spot and a more typical OLB at the other. Sweat or Brian Burns, then Joe Jackson or Allen at the other. I don’t see a SS so far I like that well early on so OG or RT for me in 2-3 round. 

Ill add that I wouldn’t rule out 3 straight OLB’s if it fell right. If Clay is gone we have Perry, Gilbert and Fak left, very uninspiring. Having Jackson backup Perry and Sweat and Burns rotating could, “could” be outstanding. 

I'd put like a slightly above zero percent chance they take that many pass rushers.  It'd be insane to pump that much into one position and ignore the other ones.

29 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Best player/value that is OTB at premium positions.  

Edge, OT, DL, CB/S would be top priorities currently.  Lots can change between now and then.  Spriggs may be pressed into action and perform really well.  DL could use a boost with Wilkerson contract ending after 2018 and hesitation on giving out a big contract with his background.  A deep and quality rotation along the DL can negate the need for high end EDGE.

Longer term at CB is good with King, Alexander and Jackson, but Williams and House are aging and adding a day 2 pick there if value presents itself would not be out of the question.

I mean, I seriously doubt we're using anything prior to a 3rd round pick on a corner.  And even using a 3rd round pick is probably stretching itself.  You're not dumping four top 64 picks into one position, no matter how deep you want that position to be.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He just signed a 3 year deal at a reasonable rate.  I feel pretty darn comfortable that assuming he stays healthy, he's our starting C.  Maybe they start looking for a replacement after next season, but there's really no reason to actively search for a replacement.  If one falls in the draft, sure.  But they're probably more in the depth department for the IOL right now.  That might change with McCray, but I'm pretty confident that Lane Taylor and Corey Linsley are going to be our starting LG and C as long as they are under contract and are healthy.

Somethings wrong with me man. I could've sworn Linsley was a free agent. 

This whole work thing sucks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

@sgtcheezwiz  Do you think a high pick will help the Packers more than the two picks that combine to give the high pick ? I'll give a specific trade. Assume the Packers get the 18th pick (from the Saints) and the 28th pick (the Packers own pick). They are worth 900 and 660 pointson the adjusted trade value chart. Add those picks together and they are enough to get you up to pick 7. So the question now becomes whether pick 7 is worth more or less than both pick 18 and pick 28 ?

I'd go for two picks myself, two shots in round one, instead of one higher pick. The Packers always need more starter-level guys than they have picks.

Most fans are about the name, the high profile names, picks and cap be damned. It's linear thinking. Gotta be damn sure about a guy to give up 2 number ones. 

8 hours ago, Leader said:

I'm sorry 1265.....but am I to take that you dont think GB will be winning the SB?
It would appear so........

Yeah, I thought someone would pick me up on that :D

I was just trying to give an average-type pick and however you cut it, a superbowl season isn't average in any way.....................

• Like 1