2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

50 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

NFLN Mock Draft show (which is really just a dress rehearsal for the graphics department), Packers take Jawaan at 12.

2 tight ends from Iowa, 2 QBs, 2 Devons, 2 defensive tackles, 2 edge rushers, and Rashan Gary were the top 11.

I think Brian Burns is still on the board at 28 too. 

6 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

And at 30... they take A.J Brown instead of Burns.

They have Mooch doing the picking so take it with a grain of salt. They figure we got two EDGE rushers in free agency so we're good. We're not. 

Edited by Golfman

Just now, Golfman said:

They have Mooch doing the picking so take it with a grain of salt. They figure we got two EDGE rushers in free agency so we're good. We're not. 

I mean, Jawaan and Burns would have been a hell of a draft.  Whole lot of offensive-minded folks in that room though.

9 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, Jawaan and Burns would have been a hell of a draft.  Whole lot of offensive-minded folks in that room though.

Yep, but I don't see us going WR in round 1. I"m good with Taylor at 12, but want no part of AJ Brown at 30. 

Edited by Golfman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Golfman said:

Yep, but I don't see us going WR in round 1. I"m good with Taylor at 12, but want no part of AJ Brown at 12. 

I see WR as a plausible pick at 30.  It seems like there's going to be a run on front-7 defenders up top, following by a run on OL, followed by a run on DBs, with a few QBs mixed in there.  So it's possible 30 will happen after the Round 1 grades are gone at d-tackle, edge, cornerback, safety, and OL.  At that point, you probably would want to trade back but if there aren't good offers, and the BPA is like "whatever non-Metcalf WR you like best" it's a defensible pick.

Assuredly there are 12 players I would take before any WR, but there are not 30.

38 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Damn, this guy definitely isn't worth a top-11 pick.

If his only sin is being a trash talker the league is full of sinners. The loyalty thing comes from basically bailing on his team late last year in their bowl game I"m guessing. Not like a lot of other guys didn't do the same.  

Four of these players on day 1 and 2 are what success would look like to me. I'm assuming none of the 'big four' defenders slide to us so here is what I'd consider success. I'd be OK with a double dip at EDGE if the board fell that way. Only because a dominant pass rush ruins offenses. Fully aware some of these players have no chance of being where I want them, but I wouldn't take them any earlier with the draft positions we currently hold. 

12: A. Dillard, J. Taylor, R. Gary, D. White or a trade down. I really don't want White or Gary but at 12 the value is too good to pass up, unless we get a good deal to trade down. 

30: J. Simmons, B. Burns, TJ Hockenson, N. Fant, D. Risner, J. Tillery, G. Williams, C. Ferrell

44: E. McCoy, C. Lindstrom, N. Adderly, J. Abrams, G. Little, C. Winovich, K. McGary, R. Ya-SIn, J. Layne

75. J. Sternberger, D. Savage, D. Knox, Amani Oruwarie

Edited by Golfman
  • Like 1

Burns falling back into the low 240s at his pro day and Sweat with his heart has me thinking neither will be an option at 12. Oliver and blowing up his workout makes me think he'll be long gone. I'm totally accepting I'm going to be disappointed with pick 12 at this point unless we can move down. I have Dillard a top 10 player in the class, but sucking an entire season to get a guy to backup Bulaga next year isn't exactly exciting. The rationale for the pick itself would be good, I just would be bummed nonetheless. 

X factor I guess is how the staff views Rashan Gary. He might be our best defensive option available now at 12.