2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

Way early, but anyone feeling good about Jelks ? I've always wanted a 6'-5" + guy on the outside. At 6'-6" and 250ish some say he can grow quickly into a role where he could give you Edge and 4-3 looks. From what some have said around here, the trend is for heavier guys ? We already have that in Perry though

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

They do have a history of taking multiple players at positions of need. Even recently 

See, I think it is even likely that they will again.  CB, WR, RB have all been restocked this way.

You could make the argument that EDGE is in need of talent infusion as much as CB was this off-season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Yeah, I thought someone would pick me up on that :D
I was just trying to give an average-type pick and however you cut it, a superbowl season isn't average in any way.....................

Ahhhhhh.....thats good. So, more a "for arguments sake..." as opposed to a "subliminal, subconscious slip..." kinda thing. Okay. :)

2 minutes ago, Cheech said:

You could make the argument that EDGE is in need of talent infusion as much as CB was this off-season.

This is true....dont need much of an argument.
We've got three effective OLB/EDGE guys....with effectiveness of varying degrees of "not too dominant" and the lead guy is on the last year of his contract.

5 hours ago, cannondale said:

Way early, but anyone feeling good about Jelks ? I've always wanted a 6'-5" + guy on the outside. At 6'-6" and 250ish some say he can grow quickly into a role where he could give you Edge and 4-3 looks. From what some have said around here, the trend is for heavier guys ? We already have that in Perry though

You want a good tall edge guy ? The 2019 draft is loaded with them. Draftek lists the following........

Bosa 6'3" (yeah he's a midget :D)
Ferrell 6'4"
J.Jackson 6'5"
Sweat 6'5"
Bryant 6'4"
Burns 6'5"
Gustin 6'5"
Lewis 6'5"
Miller 6'5"
Jelks 6'6"

All but the bottom two guys on the list are rated in the top 66 overall. 9 of the 10 guys are 6'4 to 6'6" and the only one not in that bracket is probably the best of them all. Wherever you pick in those first couple of rounds there is likely to be a tall edge prospect available. 2019 is an absolute banner year for the tall edge guy.

*warning* these heights are not locked in stone until the combine verifies them.

• Like 3

I'd go with two EDGE and two OL with the first four picks unless a can't-miss prospect at TE or ILB fell to us. I think part of the reason we haven't invested in ILB as heavily as some on here would like is simply because most defenses are moving away from two or three ILB's to an ILB and a box Safety like Landon Collins. We've kinda already done this in drafting Oren Burks and we've used similar players in the past, like Joe Thomas, in that tweener role. Morrison falls into this category as well given his size(6-1 229) and Korey Toomer as well given Toomer's measurables(4.53 40, 6.87 3-cone). We're seeing no change in this area from Capers' defense to that of Pettine's.

We're set at LT with Bakh for awhile, but of course, we've questioned Bulaga's longevity on the other side. Can Spriggs continue to improve moving forward? However, RG is a big ? given McCray's performance thus far. In year's past, we've taken guys like Lang and Colledge and moved them inside. Ironically, both guys were 6-4 and 310lbs. The closest guy in the draft that fits that mold thus far is Nate Herbig out of Stanford at 6-4 334lbs. Personally, I'd rather we draft Ross Pierschbacher given his collegiate experience as well as his attitude. We're looking for a finished product at that position and Pierschbacher fits the mold IMHO. What to do at OT? I think either Badger would be fine, but we've at least got to draft a guy who can fit in at Guard and a guy who could fit in at Tackle.

4 hours ago, Cheech said:

See, I think it is even likely that they will again.  CB, WR, RB have all been restocked this way.

I'd certainly make that argument and fortunately for us, this class is really deep. We could take multiple strategies such as going with Anfernee Jennings and/or Jalen Jelks who can both offer skills in a hybrid or 4-3 look, but I really like Parker Hesse out of Iowa in that mold. His play speed is ridiculous and you can line him up all over the defensive front and I think he's pretty decent in coverage too if I'm not mistaken; he's a Day 3 pick, but his stock will rise as the season progresses. Going for an EDGE-only type of guy, I think Austin Bryant may be an interesting option for Elephant OLB as well and could possibly move inside on obvious passing downs given his burst and vision. Lots of other Day 2/early Day 3 guys that jump out a bit as well.

• Like 1

I haven't studied the '19 draft at all, so I'm not sure what the talent in the top 10 looks like.  If there are pass rush studs available I want to see us ship those two 1st or a 1st and 2nd and get into a position to land a beast. 

I wish we would have landed Mack .. would have taken a lot of guesswork out of the equation for sure.  He's exactly what we needed and I think with his presence we would have handily won both games so far.  Oh well .. water under the bridge. 

5 hours ago, Joe said:

but I really like Parker Hesse out of Iowa in that mold. His play speed is ridiculous and you can line him up all over the defensive front and I think he's pretty decent in coverage too if I'm not mistaken;

Parker Hesse is an absolute warrior.  I'm just not sure if he has the length needed to win against OT's in the NFL.  Anthony Nelson does, though.  He's another one of those guys that will fall to the 3rd or 4th due to the depth at the position.  So, yeah, he's a depth player that might be your 4th or 5th EDGE, but he has the size to hold the edge and get his mitts up if he doesn't get there.  He also has deceptive speed around the edge.  Not a lot of bend, but that is pretty typical for a 6'6" guy.  Tony Pauline had him graded out as a 2nd or 3rd rounder this summer.  

I think Gute could go best available OT/EDGE in the first, and then still get a very good rotational edge in the 2nd to fill out the depth chart.  If the kid from Wazzu returns we could see OL and EDGE solidified pretty quickly.  

I'm not too worried about the tackle spot at the moment.  Bulaga and Spriggs both have contracts for 2019.  Bulaga is only 29 and Spriggs is 24.  I can see maybe not wanting to give that third contract to Bulaga.  But do we necessarily need a first or second round pick to compete with Spriggs?

19 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I'm not too worried about the tackle spot at the moment.  Bulaga and Spriggs both have contracts for 2019.  Bulaga is only 29 and Spriggs is 24.  I can see maybe not wanting to give that third contract to Bulaga.  But do we necessarily need a first or second round pick to compete with Spriggs ?

Considering that Spriggs should have flashed starter potential by now, but hasn't, and there is basically no one else .......absolutely